Advice needed for a friend building in Maine

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Advice needed for a friend building in Maine

Post by Lily left the valley »

I know this is a bit off track, but the friend I am asking for does live in an older home, which is how I came to mention this site in past discussions. They are just finding themselves lacking local info regarding a second home they want to build. I offered to ask here because I know some of our folks are more local to the area than she is, and folks they know of may do new as well as old. So here I am.

A friend and her spouse are wanting to build on property they bought in Mt. Desert Island, Acadia National Park, and they are looking for estimates. They are hoping to start the work in the spring. She doesn't know tradefolk in that area, as she lives in CT.

The first quote they got was $250 a square foot to build, and that the site work was going to cost $60-100,000. She said their floor plan is simple, only a few rooms. She felt this was a bit high, and I offered to ask here since I know we have some folk up that way who might be able to pitch in some opinions/advice/recommendations.

We did discuss about the various types of rock in Maine and how that can affect excavation for proper depth for the frost wall. She said that did come up in discussion, but that it wasn't granite on the site. She could not recall what they called it.

Any :twocents-twocents: folks care to share related to the above, I will be happy to pass it along.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.