Sarco putty is still soft, wait to hang windows?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
O2Annie
Settling in

Sarco putty is still soft, wait to hang windows?

Post by O2Annie »

I have 6 storm windows that I made to help protect and "insulate" the 3rd story windows.
They were glazed 2 weeks ago with Sarco type M, then I have been painting them this past week.
With the double hungs I restore I haven't worried about hanging them even if the putty was still somewhat soft since they are protected by storms.
But since these are the storms and will be directly exposed to the Midwest fall weather I wondered if I should wait until they have completely firmed up?
Thanks for any advice, I am anxious to get them hung so I can start repair on the desperately neglected double hungs befor winter is in full force....

heartwood

Re: Sarco putty is still soft, wait to hang windows?

Post by heartwood »

morning!
if applied with the right consistency at the outset (stiffer than peanut butter), two weeks is a sufficient time to begin painting...the putty will still be soft enough to move or 'squish' if poked with your finger...it shouldn't be so soft that a paint brush makes bristle marks on it...I deem the putty ready for painting when i run a finger gently over the surface and it feels like fine grit sandpaper, a bit of a gritty feel to it...

hope that helps....
....jade

O2Annie
Settling in

Post by O2Annie »

Thanks Jade! So once painted is it safe to expose to the elements?

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

It is fine once painted, remember don't prime Sarco, just top-coat
Mick...

O2Annie
Settling in

Post by O2Annie »

Great thank you; I primed the rabbits (actually I primed the entire frames with oil primer before setting the glass) and then after glazing I covered with latex paint. I was just worried when I noticed the putty could still be slightly dented.
Hopefully they will be up by the end of the weekend!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

sounds like you did the right thing! and yes, once the paint has set up sufficiently, the puttied and painted storm is ready to hang and do its thang....if your area has very cold nights (40 and under) you may want to wait 24 hours or more before hanging the storms...
....jade