What would you do with this door

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: What would you do with this door

Post by phil »

could that door be installed with double hinges? common in places like commercial kitchens, it could swing both ways so if you are carrying a tray you can just push it ahead of you either way. Hard to grab the door and pull while using both hands so youd; have to go open the door then pick up the tray and go back to close it. I happened to notice the doorjamb as no door stop, the inside of the frame is just flush. can't see the other side.

I think the doublehung hinges would need more offset though so I guess youd need the door to be about an inch narrower. I have a set of 4 of those hinges, chrome plated. they are pretty heavy, each hinge is about 5 lbs or so.

you see them used on "saloon doors" too. the ones I have use springs and collars that you can adjust to get the amount of spring tension you want. they use a couple of coil springs that oppose each other so the door can swing in or out and returns to center. of course if the door opens this way it can't close against a door stop. It may be that someone came along and removed a strip that was there or re-faced the doorjamb with new wood? most doors have a doorstop to close against. If the opening had no door then it wouldn't need one.

another neat hinge is the offset ones. they mount pretty much as normal but the hinge plates are L shaped and when the door opens it folds clear of the jamb leaving a wider opening , you will see them a lot in hospitals and care homes. I have some of those too if someone has a need for them. Standard stanley brand NIB ones. if you inged from the side we can see it might fold tighter to the wall with that sort of hinges. I can get pics if you like. I think they have rounded corners which dates them to I'd say 70's not much earlier. they aren't vintage hinges.

Phil

O2Annie
Settling in

Post by O2Annie »

phil wrote:could that door be installed with double hinges?
Phil

Yes Phil - the door has the double hinges still attached - so the door would swing both ways. Very astute of you to notice, not that I am surprised since you are so detail oriented! I can't imagine what type of heavy duty screws it would take to anchor them down; the door is very solid and the hinges are substantial.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Thanks Annie, If you find screws just put them through the hinges to see if the heads are flush, that should determine the screw size. If you use long ones, like about 3" then they will go through the door casing and the space behind the casing (where there are normally wedges) and into the framing studs behind the casing. just watch out for wiring.