Can Blopetine be applied with a sprayer?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
TexasRed
Been here a good while

Can Blopetine be applied with a sprayer?

Post by TexasRed »

After many, many delays, the exterior is finally being prepped for paint! Yay, yippee! I am ecstatic watching the pink paint disappear.

Must comment on the Paint Shaver Pro recommend by Mick. It is da’ bomb!! There is no easy way to remove paint from siding but this tool does it very well and is remarkably fast when compared to traditional scraping.
Paint Shaver Pro progress
Paint Shaver Pro progress
60352B22-46F4-44C3-918E-8B0F1E92ECCF.jpeg (171.63 KiB) Viewed 694 times

My question; can Blopetine be applied using a pump sprayer? There is so much siding to prep, the painter is looking for the most efficient method of application. If it won’t penetrate and nourish the wood like brushing it on, please tell me.

We did strip, prep and paint before having the electrical boxes re-installed. (the Blopetine oil mixture was brushed on in this area). It looks great after several months.
Prep behind electrical box
Prep behind electrical box
351861F4-5FE2-4914-834A-A35744DCEDA2.jpeg (143.06 KiB) Viewed 694 times

I welcome any thoughts or comments about the spray method. TIA :-)
Last edited by TexasRed on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

heartwood

Re: Can Blopetine be applies with a sprayer?

Post by heartwood »

that's a lotta work you've done there, good for you!! I've never pondered this question but i don't see why you could not spray the blop...of course you'd want to begin at the top and hold the nozzle closer to the surface than you might if you were spraying paint...make sure to clean the nozzle and hose with turps or thinner after use...i think you can feel confident that spraying would work well...once it hits dry wood, it gets absorbs pretty quickly...wait a minimum of 24 dry hours before applying primer....

good luck!
...jade

Greenwood
Knows the area

Post by Greenwood »

Could you do a test patch to see? Compare its absorption to that of brushed blopentine?

What an amazing lot of work you've done! It's inspiring!!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I would imagine it would be ok sprayed, but watch out for any potential ignition sources, my bet is it would be pretty much explosive when atomized
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I can’t see any reason you could not spray with a garden sprayer either. As you know even at a 50/50 mix it’s pretty thin.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Can Blopetine be applied with a sprayer?

Post by phil »

I'd be tempted to try both. sure use a pesticide spray unit to get it on there , but then I'd use a brush to work it in a little. brush in one hand, wand in the other.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

I wonder if you could spray it on and then, use a paint roller to try to distribute it a bit and get it to absorb better?

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

you could do that...brush or roller...or you can watch to see how it absorbs on its own...depending on the 'mist' density of the sprayer, the blop may soak in just fine without further encouragement...when applying to sash, I drip the blop onto the end grain and watch it soak right in without dribbling over the side.....I would say it depends on the circumstances--dryness of the wood, strength of the sprayer and the stamina of the person applying it...

....jade

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

If my little floor experiment is any indicator, the blopetine just spreads out from the applied area. That indicates to me that you would not need to be to concerned with getting the overlap on application perfect. Close enough would probably be fine.