Stripping regular paint from the top of milk paint

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Mick_VT

Stripping regular paint from the top of milk paint

Post by Mick_VT »

Hey all, ont he tool chest I just bought, there is what appears to be more modern alkyd paint on top of the original paint (which looks very like milk paint), the adhesion is not good (as you would expect). I am wondering, given that milk paint is notoriously hard to strip, what strippers would remove the modern paint but leave the milk paint the most intact? Almost hoping I could simply strip, clean and then protect the original finish rather than doing a complete refinish... am I living in the land of unicorns and rainbows?
Mick...

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Stripping regular paint from the top of milk paint

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I've had some success with using xylene to get modern paint off of old paint. As with anything, I'd recommend testing a small amount in an inconspicuous area first, as not all old paint is created equal. Also, if you try it, use it outside. Xylene doesn't exactly have the best smell.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

or lacquer thinner maybe? sounds like a tough project though, no harm in experimenting.. I recall being at an auction and they hauled out a milk painted wash table.. the auction just went up and up and I was standing there going REALLY ??

If nothing else I suppose you could do new milk paint and distress the finish.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Citri-strip seems to be doing exactly what I need - photos to come soon
Mick...

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

I wish I had known this sooner!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Here it is! I got the front and top done, just have to do the sides - the missing paint and wear predates the gray paint I removed.. I also removed the very rudimentary and non-original handle on the lid... now just have to work out what to do about the damage around the lock

Before
before
before
IMG_7545.jpeg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 1188 times

After
After
After
IMG_7560 copy.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 1189 times
Mick...

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Looking good! Wow - and that wear is great too.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Thanks Sara, a few cosmetics left on the outside then I am going to apply wax to it for protection, but also to hopefully enhance the colors and show off some of the wear and distressing to it's best advantage. For now I am focussing on smaller repairs and refinishing on the inside, gluing veneer back and rejuvenating the original finish a little on other parts. Here is one of the drawer lids, the shellac is still wet on it but you can see the figured veneer - a bunch of that was cracked and peeling but I carefully glued it back scraped off the old finish and gave it three coats of shellac. The rest of the lid got a single coat. I'll wax with synthetic steel wool pad to knock back the sheen soon. You can see part of the damage from the break-in here. this repair is poor but solid so I decided to leave it as is rather than risk further damage trying to separate it again
Attachments
IMG_7580.jpg
IMG_7580.jpg (886.07 KiB) Viewed 1164 times
Mick...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Looking nice Mick ! I'd hide the big missing chunks with a tiny bit of epoxy wood to fill any serious voids.. the putty stuff... then touch up with paint and just leave the rest after you've done with the other touch ups.