Repainting cupboard that has lead paint for use in kitchen

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Repainting cupboard that has lead paint for use in kitchen

Post by oaktree »

I'm finally getting around to stripping this cupboard for my kitchen. It currently has lead paint on it. I'm stripping off the paint and going to repaint it in a similar white, Farrow & Ball Pointing (http://us.farrow-ball.com/pointing/pain ... uct/102003). I will be doing this in the barn and have a respirator with P100 filters and will be using chemical stripper. Any other advice?

Also, I know lead gets into the wood and stripping the paint off doesn't completely get rid of lead. If I repaint it, is it safe to use for dishes or should I additionally put a lead sealing layer and then prime and paint? My understanding is that if the lead is not flaking off, I'm probably okay. Information on the internet seems contradictory.
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

Mick_VT

Re: Repainting cupboard that has lead paint for use in kitchen

Post by Mick_VT »

If the paint is not flaking you don't need to strip it, just encapsulate with primer and a couple of topcoats. Either way (stripped or not) you will be fine once it is freshly painted. By the way, did you test for lead? Don't assume it has lead by it's age, not all paint contained it
Mick...

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

Mick_VT wrote:If the paint is not flaking you don't need to strip it, just encapsulate with primer and a couple of topcoats. Either way (stripped or not) you will be fine once it is freshly painted. By the way, did you test for lead? Don't assume it has lead by it's age, not all paint contained it

I did test for lead with one of those lead test markers, and it was positive. It's flaking a bit, so I think it's best to just take it off. Or do you think I could get away with sanding a bit and painting? Seems safer to just strip it off...There's only a couple layers of paint and it shouldn't be too bad. Good to know that I'll be fine with just prime and paint!

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Nice-looking cabinet! It's pretty low risk as is, but with primer and paint you're all set.

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

It seems to have 3 layers of flaking paint on it, so I'm stripping it off and just going to repaint. Very excited to finally have this in the kitchen! Thanks everyone for all the advice!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

it's a nice well constructed cabinet. If It were me by the time I got done stripping I'd keep the wood but I know it's more work. I think it would at least be worth removing the hinges and pulls and restoring those separately so they don't get painted. yea there are all different levels of lead paranoia and it makes it hard to draw the line. Just avoid sanding and breathing the dust. if you want to sand you might wet sand to keep the dust down.

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

dramatic original colors revealed!

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Nice!!!!! Lead paint is safe if encapsulated with another layer of paint. And honestly...if you have young'uns chewing on the furniture, then I'd chalk it up to Darwinism. ;)

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

you may be happier with a nice smooth surface to start with, but sanding the existing paint followed by finish paint is ok too...I hope you're enjoying the stripping, for some of us it can be very relaxing and rewarding...don't buy in to 'special lead encapsulating paint'...primer and two coats of paint and you will be all set...may I suggest you consider oil paint? it will leave a much nicer surface and won't be sticky as latex/acrylic tends to be...

lookin' good!
...jade

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

It's such a great piece. Nice to uncover that color history - but I think it is 100% okay to repaint, too.