Crown Molding and Chair Rail Ideas needed. I need MORE HELP!!!!!

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Crown Molding and Chair Rail Ideas needed. I need MORE HELP!!!!!

Post by Wackyshack »

Between work and no time to deal with the house due to other needful things stealing this year's tax return, I am finally able to move forward with something I dropped last year.

The house is small, the hall is narrow. I do want the house to look like a "Crackerbox Palace" but not so ornate that there is no harmony with the millwork in place already. Would love to see what is in place in your houses. Just need to bump mine up into something attractive. The dado is just painted embossed wallpaper. I also wallpapered the ceiling.

Lilly%20Left%20the%20Valley- thank you for writing to me awhile ago. Dummy me accidently lost the email when clearing out the junkmail... I was tied up in knots from Feb (sick for 5 weeks) and up until 2 weeks ago working 7 days a week at my job. I finally decided to back off a bit and get my head together.
I have so missed you guys!!!

Looking from the kitchen to the front door.
Looking from the kitchen to the front door.
IMG_0047 11.35.07 PM.jpg (935.3 KiB) Viewed 620 times

At the front door and stairs
At the front door and stairs
IMG_0048 (1).jpg (894.18 KiB) Viewed 620 times

Looking up,and the molding will be continued on the small area at the top of the landing.
Looking up,and the molding will be continued on the small area at the top of the landing.
IMG_0049 11.35.07 PM.jpg (998.94 KiB) Viewed 620 times
Last edited by Wackyshack on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Crown Molding and Chair Rail Ideas needed.

Post by Manalto »

How about picture molding?

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

I do want to put a picture rail in there but will admit to be a bit deficient on what would work best there when considering crown, chair and picture molding.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Wackyshack, chair molding would be most appropriate for your for your wainscotting. If you give it a shellac coating it would simulate lincrusta. That most definitely would bring up look. Come to think about it, heavy embossed wall paper is a modern form of lincrusta.
On another note, was thinking about you, Bungalomo and Liascenic the other day while viewing the posts. I hadn’t seen a post for a while.

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

You are amazing Gothichome. I never entertained the idea that I could simulate lincrusta by applying shellac. It was one of those projects that ANYthing was going to be an improvement and the hopes for something as swanky as even lincrusta appeared to be beyond my reach (so it was hello embossed paper ;) )

Do you have any inspiration for the crown molding??? I am hoping for a little flourish and not just straight lines.

I really miss all of you, it was an insane work schedule that kept me away.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

this is a pretty primitive website but he does have a lot of heritage profiles you could look through. Maybe an "astragal" ?
http://www.tanex.com/mouldings.html

or just a cutter and you can mount your router on the back table of your tablesaw if you have one.

https://www.magnate.net/ProductDetails. ... tCode=1343

not my pic but if you have a tablesaw consider mounting the router underneath like this. I did that and lke it , I just lower the router when it's not in use. I didnt; make the drop in cutout , you cna get fancy drop in jigs that you can crank up and down too. anyway I find it works well like that.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=table+sa ... ZXSz52ZvbM:

another way is a molding head on a tablesaw but you'd need a suitable cutter. An example : sadly sears is dying now but I have this one.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=table+sa ... sJB9meX6BM:

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

Phil:
Astragal - I checked the link and they look fantastic. Those are some wonderful profiles.

An attempt to make our own? Neither he nor I are very handy when it comes to things like finish carpentry and carpentry in general. I was going to shell out the money, buy it and pray I cut it to fit the corners correctly. If I do make a success of this I will buck up the courage to do more. I am getting under the pressure of if I don't do it, it will never get done.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

nothing really hard about cutting your own. run a chunk of wood over the tablesaw and cut it to suitable sized strips. run the strips over a router to cut the shape. i'd use a fence on the router, so either a router table or mount the router on the tablesaw and use 2x4 with a notch cut in it near the router bit so you can set the distance.. Just take a few cuts and move the fence to adjust how deep you are cutting.. You can pick up a used tablesaw and a router for not very much.. I would encourage you to try and there are tons of Utube videos to help get you going. then you dont; need to buy stuff like this.. If you dont; have much room a contractors saw is ok. If you have room a heavier cabinet saw is nicer but they aren't so easy to move about. for cutting the strips even a cheap saw would do it. if you spend on the tools you can keep them. If you spend on things like moldings then it's just kinda out the window.. Ive always been happier buying the tools because then you can just do more without needing to run out and buy stuff. I find a lot of personal gratification in the process. maybe it isn't the same for everyone. somethign like an old mid range delta saw might be 200.00 used and a used router maybe 50 bucks.. If you get into it you can but nicer stuff but you don't need anythign huge to start with. a lot of the newer contractor saws are light and fold up and things. they are good for what they are. If you do more cabinetry and making windows and things then you'll appreciate a heavier saw but you don't need a lot to get going. there is tons of Utube videos with info so you could watch a few on how to avoid kickbacks and stuff like that and learn techniques.. the confidence comes fairly quickly.. a little shop course isn't a bad idea if you don't have someone that's willing to show you the real basics or just spending a few evenings watching Utube videos will give you all the info you really need. once you get a few weekends under your belt you'll realize you can make pretty much anything you want to, even without a huge battery of special tools. you don't need a lot of strength or a PHD in woodworking and the tools like a square, some various clamps for glue up, they come at garage sales and Craigslist. that way as long as you look for bargains if you decide it's not for you you can have all your money back after. then if you cut a piece too short.. You can just make another and cut it longer, or join them together again. Don't be afraid to screw up, that's what wood putty is made for ;-)

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

My husband has tons of tools, we have chop saws, table saws and I think he has a router.
There is room in the basement and your words of encouragement are empowering.
If I try and really stink at it, I can still buy it in the store later.

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

Need another solution.
I am getting ready to do the unfinished part of the dado on the staircase and there is a distinct "jog" in the area transitioning from the stairs to the wall (see photo)
Should I put a strip of vertical corner beading there or try to do the whole thing with a pilaster to interrupt the eye and flow of the dado?
Or did I goof when I set the height of the dado at the get go?

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 2.42.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 2.42.34 PM.png (935.61 KiB) Viewed 531 times

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 2.38.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 2.38.04 PM.png (939.77 KiB) Viewed 530 times