Window Restoration Education

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Window Restoration Education

Post by Manalto »

I'm getting together the tools and materials for my trip down to Alabama to start restoring windows. (Many thanks to Jade for her guidance and tutoring.) Two questions:

Would a random orbit sander be useful for the job?

Which Sarco putty should I use? I see the type M recommends two weeks dry time before painting; that would mean I'd have to stop restoring windows two weeks before I leave, right? That's an awful lot of wasted time not restoring windows. Suggestions?

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I say a random orbital sander is ALWAYS useful. Actually, if you're going to strip the sashes, you'll want to sand them, so yes.
Bonnie

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

baah, I rarely use power tools and never a random orbit sander though I have a couple in the shop....remember james? I set the glass with a sander? I sand with a cut sheet of 3M or Norton 80 grit sand paper if the surface is rough, otherwise I use 120....

remove glass, putty and paint...sand with 80 or 120...apply blop, wait 24 hours...apply BM 024 oil based primer, wait at least 24 hours...set glass and glass...depending on the volume of type m putty, allow 3-7 days before finish painting...I typically allow 5 days...the manufacturer suggests two weeks but I and many others have been using it for well over a decade and never waited that long...

james, i'm sure you will find other things to keep you busy in your new bammy home!

...jade

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Yes, I remember the ROS for setting the glass - elegant solution. Well, I shelled out $15 for a used Black & Decker sander. I know it's not a great machine but I may get some use out of it. The dust capture seems useless.

I'm really jazzed about getting started on those windows - it's almost a little weird how excited I am.

Yes, there will be other things to do. I want to get started on my landscaping. The garden needs "bones"!