Window Restoration Education

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Window Restoration Education

Post by Manalto »

I have a big (15) window restoration project coming up in a few weeks and, to make the best of my limited time, would like to be as prepared as possible. So far my experience with window restoration has been cracking them loose from decades of being painted shut and replacing a few panes of broken glass. I've taken the side panel off one window to reveal the pocket where sash weights fall when the cord breaks, but that's it. I've bought good quality (I hope) sash cord - the kind with the red dot - but have yet to get putty. YouTube has a fair amount of videos on the topic, but they tend to be general, and the conflicting information I've encountered has left me wondering which technique is best. I'll be able to post specific questions here while I'm working on the project, but would like to learn as much as I can in advance.

Can you recommend good "How To" books and/or videos that are accurate and thorough? My windows are original to the house (1918); six-over-one, double-hung type.

Gothichome

Re: Window Restoration Education

Post by Gothichome »

Manalto, your best resource is here in the District. Jade, Sashguy, are the guru’s of window restoration. I would start by back reading there posts. Also there is a how too under the reference heading.
From experience, with a limited time frame may I suggest not doing windows en mass. You don’t want to be caught with open Holes were your sash used to be and no time left.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Gothichome wrote:Also there is a how too under the reference heading.

Sorry to be dense, but what does this mean?

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Manalto wrote:
Gothichome wrote:Also there is a how too under the reference heading.

Sorry to be dense, but what does this mean?

The Reference sub forum, I think. But I looked and I can't find a How To for windows specifically. Here's a link for a book that seems a standard recommended for windows: Save America's Windows

I do seem to recall that Heartwood's shop offers classes, but I might be recalling wrong. It's not terribly far for you up here in New England. Not sure if one of the other windows folks is closer to your home down south.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Here are a couple of reputable window restoration books:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN ... inskihisto

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN ... inskihisto

John Leeke has a few window restoration/glazing videos on YouTube. There were a couple of videos I watched featuring Allback putty that were helpful, too. There's also some BAD reglazing/restoration videos featuring "putty" from a caulking gun, using a heat gun to soften the putty without shielding the glass properly and other sins.

With regards to your ambitious plan - I second Gothichome's reservations. Some windows can be easily dealt with while others may take a couple of hours or more of scraping, picking, etc. to undo the old putty/paint before you even get to glazing. It is my understanding that putty needs to skin over enough to be properly painted, but also that the temperature and humidity can affect this(takes longer in cooler temperatures). Putty should be painted over once it is skinned over, and from what I have read it is not good to leave putty unpainted for a lengthy period of time. Allback claims their putty can be painted over within the day - but only with their linseed oil paint ! It took about 7 -10 days for the Allback putty I used to feel dry/solid enough to paint over. I've heard Sarco is faster. As Jade previously said in a reply when I was asking about the Allback putty - painting over it the next day would be like painting over "peanut butter" and I totally agree.

I suggest that you start at the back of the house, ground floor. The first few windows I glazed took forever, but as my skills improved they went faster. Save your mad glazing skills for the ground floor windows at the front of the house (ie do them last).

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Yes, these were on my list of books to consider. I was hoping someone here could vouch for the worthiness one publication over others, based on experience, before I choose one to work with.

Willa wrote:With regards to your ambitious plan - I second Gothichome's reservations.

The project is (correction) sixteen windows. Forgive me if I gave the impression that I was expecting to get all of them restored on my next visit. My plan is to get as many windows done as I can in the time allowed. I have no idea how many I'll be able to complete. How could I know that, not having done this before? I also have no intention of pulling all the windows out of a house I'm living in to restore them en masse. Frankly, even if it were feasible, I don't see the point in that approach, considering that I'm a novice.

Willa wrote:I suggest that you start at the back of the house, ground floor. The first few windows I glazed took forever, but as my skills improved they went faster. Save your mad glazing skills for the ground floor windows at the front of the house (ie do them last).

This sounds like sage advice. I hadn't considered where to begin, and starting with the rear, ground-floor windows (in this case, the kitchen) makes sense. On the other hand, indoors, the kitchen table sits right between those windows, for people (including myself) to inspect and critique at leisure, so maybe an upstairs bedroom should be first? In any case, it's a good idea to work on improving one's skills where screw-ups will be least noticeable.

Now, all I need to do is learn how to do the restoration.
Last edited by Manalto on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:This sounds like sage advice. I hadn't considered where to begin, and starting with the rear, ground-floor windows (in this case, the kitchen) makes sense. On the other hand, indoors, the kitchen table sits right between those windows, for people (including myself) to inspect and critique at leisure, so maybe an upstairs bedroom should be first? In any case, it's a good idea to work on improving one's skills where screw-ups will be least noticeable.

Now, all I need to do is learn how to do the restoration.

John Leeke's name is mentioned over and over with regards to window restoration. If all that you will doing is reglazing - ie you won't need to take the sash window apart to reglue joints or patch rotten areas - then watching his videos may be all that you need to start ? (I learn better watching a demonstration v.s. following written instructions)

A long time ago I reglazed a bunch of wood frame casement windows, with three panes each. My first few were nerve wracking but became less so as I went on. Looking at old pics my results were certainly acceptable ?

The worst thing that can happen is you'll break a pane of glass (well -worse-ER would be deeply cutting yourself when this pane breaks - but it didn't happen to me). The putty is on the outside - so unless you have a Jackson Pollock approach to glazing, it shouldn't be especially visible on the interior side.

Glazing is a skill that can be learned with practice.

As with all other house tasks - proper prepping is very important (i.e. bare wood where putty will be sitting needs to be painted with 50/50 blopentine OR painted with shellac OR painted with oil based primer. This is so the bare wood can't wick oils from the putty. This step helps the putty to last longer). If your work with the putty knife isn't smooth enough you can go over it, or take the soft putty out and reapply it. It is pretty forgiving in that if the first result is messy or unsatisfactory you can do it over until it is right v.s. sensitive materials with a short working time that only give you one chance.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Manalto, sorry to have sent you looking in the wrong direction in the reference section of the District Library. I was so sure there was a write up in there I didn’t think to check.
It takes me about a week to do one window completely, that,s the sashes, frames ( both inside and out) and the storms. Most of the time is spent waiting on paint to dry.
My strategy is to remove the sashes leaving the storm (easily removable)to plug the hole. Strip, remove glass, make repairs, sand, and paint. While the primer coat is drying I strip, repair, sand, and prime the frame. Then it’s back to the sashes for final paint. Again waiting on the sashes to dry I start the storms but not go far enough to make them non functional as a hole filler. Back to the frames for final paint to the interior surfaces. Once the interior frame is dry, hang the sashes on their weights, final paint to the exterior framing. At this point the sashes fill the hole and complete the storm.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

woohoo, another brave soul ready to restore his/her windows!! here's my phone number fouronethree-six25-8680...I have opinions on the books...I think my friend steve Jordan's book is the best one out there at the moment--'the window bible'....

there's so much that you can learn and it's a lengthy post for me to go over all the things I think would be helpful...I agree that starting with one or two or three is a good idea...one from the attic or back of the house makes sense too...when you call, I can get your address and send you some sarco type m putty at no cost...

I think you've told me where you live but I don't recall...I'm happy to offer some time in my shop if you're not too far from western mass...

I too thought there were many conversations in the archives about window restoration methods and approaches...

.......jade

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Yeah, it's probably not a good idea to start with the windows in the dining room in the front of the house.

I got my advice from Jade and Sashguy, and I'm very pleased with my first two windows. The difference between just the first window and the second one is amazing, so the learning curve is not terribly long. I've only done two so far, but am hoping the other 12 go more quickly. My holdup has been in making sure I had all of the supplies, weatherstripping, etc. to finish up before putting the stop back in.

This is a thread I began that might be helpful to you: https://thehistoricdistrict.org/viewtop ... 29&t=12070. There are a couple of videos in there, too, that helped me.
Bonnie