Allback Linseed Oil Glazing Putty ?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
heartwood

Re: Allback Linseed Oil Glazing Putty ?

Post by heartwood »

willa......we use ben moore dtm (direct to metal) or super spec (same thing) on the exterior and impervo on the interior--both are oil paints...when using high gloss (which fades in a couple of years to a soft gloss), I apply a coat or two of low luster first then the high gloss as the final coat...the high gloss is much thinner (and drippier) and does not coat as well...you could use three coats of high gloss but then you would need to lightly sand between coats...the good thing about doing 3-4 coats of high gloss is the getting good penetration...

....jade

Greenwood
Knows the area

Post by Greenwood »

I bought the linseed putty from Allback this summer and just used it today. Your assessment of its properties is the same as mine - soft and sticky and doesn't stick easily to shellacked rabbets. But I got through 5 windows ok. 5 more to go.
Unfortunately, I hadn't realized that the putty can only be painted over immediately with linseed paint. When I first read up about it I thought any oil paint or primer would be ok for immediate painting.
So, now I have a dilemma as the windows have to go in next week. I ordered a can of Allback oil paint but its unlikely it's going to match the colour I had already picked out from Benjamin Moore (it's part of a colour scheme). Does anyone know whether I can paint the putty with the Allback paint and then shortly after re-coat with the Ben Moore acrylic?
I might try calling Allback on Monday to ask that question.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

It took about 7 - 10 days for the allback putty I used to firm up enough to be painted. Warm summer temps during the day, cooler fall temps at night.

I think the windows could probably be installed THEN painted ? As long as the installers understand enough to not stick their fingers into the still somewhat soft putty ? The glaziers points should be holding the glass in place, reinforced by the putty. Or you could prime/paint the windows except for the new putty areas, then go back and prime/paint that once it has cured enough ?

Definitely wait for an experienced window person's input, though ?

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

we oil then prime the sash prior to setting the glass...it's easier to paint sash when they are on an easel or otherwise not set in the opening......

unfortunately any warrantee will be voided if you paint over allback putty with anything other than allback paint...can't say what might happen if you apply ben moore oil paint (or acrylics) over the allback oil paint...

....jade

Greenwood
Knows the area

Post by Greenwood »

Those are good tips, thanks!
I hope I'm not hijacking -
Here was my general process: Blopentine and oil primer on the outside face of the sashes; shellack on the rabbets and inside faces; then linseed putty, glazing, and chalk.
Since both faces are protected somewhat I could have them installed now and paint them after. Or what I'll probably do is have the builder install the window jambs next week and cover the openings with poly, and then install the sashes after I've painted them.
So, my short experience with Allback linseed putty is that I wouldn't use it again. Unfortunately, I'm in Canada and no Sarco for us. The only other putty I could locate was Dap from HD, a store brand from Home Hardware that does not list ingredients but made in India and a generic brand from Co-op that also does not list ingredients but also made in India.
I got swayed to linseed putty because of its historic character, I knew what was in it and wasn't afraid to have it on my hands, and because I thought it could be painted immediately.
Live and learn! : ) I do have 5 more windows to go, plus storms, so will finish off what I have of the Allback putty for those but use generic putty when I run out.
As an aside, I really enjoyed the restoration and glazing process.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

The stuff from India is terrible - at least it was the last time I tried to use it about 7 years ago it was. Way, way gooier than the Allback once it was mixed - like canned icing - like a dried out block of plasticine from your grandparents basement that sat for 35+ years before it was mixed. Bonus: unidentifiable ingredients.

Dap will take as long or longer than the Allback to set up. It is really slow in cooler temperatures.

Compared to Dap I liked the Allback okay, except for the price. Dap is about 1/4 of the price. I was concerned about using linseed oil putty in order to properly bond with the existing linseed putty in my windows, that was still firmly stuck. Because in Canada there are no other choices, if I had a bunch of glazing to do where there was no previous intact putty, I would use Dap.

If there was an affordable source for Sarco within Canada I would use that.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I may have mentioned UGL's glazol which may or may not be available in Canada...it's real nice to tool out--smooth and cool...manufacturer claims it can be painted with oil paint 24 hours after installation and a week if using water based...I would allow 4-5 days to apply oil finish paint...
.....jade

Greenwood
Knows the area

Post by Greenwood »

I Googled UGL - isn't available in the hardware stores where I am, but Amazon has it. Not a bad price and free shipping!, but would take a week to get here.

UGL 31506 Glazing Compound
by UGL
Price: CDN$ 23.40 FREE SHIPPING.
Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.
Use on wood and metal sashes, plumbing fixtures
Fill cracks and holes in wood siding
Year-round workability
Conforms to ASTM Spec. C-669
Knife grade caulking compound

Thanks for the tip Jade!