Allback Linseed Oil Glazing Putty ?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Allback Linseed Oil Glazing Putty ?

Post by Willa »

Has anyone used this product ? Up in Canada - a Sarco - free zone (no distributors, exorbitant UPS shipping and duty charges from US) this is the only linseed oil putty I have come across.

One blog gave it a 6 or 7 out of 10 when compared to other glazing compounds, with Sarco at 8 and 9.

The Canadian distributor also carries Swedish linseed oil paints - but they are pricey and only come in limited colors, but sound like a good product.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Allback Linseed Oil Glazing Putty ?

Post by Texas_Ranger »

I've heard some complaints about mould issues when pure linseed oil paint is used outdoors in areas with extended times of high humidity but haven't experienced it myself yet (TBH I've only used linseed oil paint inside so far) but indoors I'd use it in a heartbeat! You need some practice and some visible brush marks are almost inevitable but I still love, love, love it! I also happen to like the smell, totally unlike any modern paint!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

argh, border fees! I've heard a lot of negative feedback regarding allback products and the distributor from professional window people and high end painters...I have a friend who painted windows and trim and siding on a client's house...he has been to allback in Sweden and has met with the owners...he is a meticulous painter...the paint began to fade significantly within months...the sales guy at Viking sales will always put the problem back on you...too much or too little linseed oil, too much or not enough dry time...and LOTS of issues with mold...

the allback putty can be painted in one day with allback paints but it's like painting on peanut butter...I don't have personal experience and I have chosen not to use their products...

...jade

Willa

Post by Willa »

heartwood wrote:argh, border fees!

UPS is the worst with regards to this - even on a low value item (i.e. under $ 50.00) their brokerage fees, etc. can easily cost more than the item. Ebay's Global Shipping Program is a close second - charging fees that wouldn't be collected (i.e. used book worth under $ 20.00 CAN) that again more than double the cost for the Canadian buyer.

I have ordered some Allback glazing putty. There is definitely old linseed oil putty on the windows (I can smell the oil when the heat gun has hit the putty). A lot of the old putty is still stuck to the window - so I'll dig out what is loose and putty up to what is stuck. I figured this would have a better chance of making a chemical bond v.s. my only other local option, Dap. I won't ever touch the crap from India again - it was terrible icing-like goo.

Willa

Post by Willa »

heartwood wrote: I've heard a lot of negative feedback regarding allback products and the distributor from professional window people and high end painters...I have a friend who painted windows and trim and siding on a client's house...he has been to allback in Sweden and has met with the owners...he is a meticulous painter...the paint began to fade significantly within months...the sales guy at Viking sales will always put the problem back on you...too much or too little linseed oil, too much or not enough dry time...and LOTS of issues with mold...

...jade

Also good to know about professionals' experience with the linseed oil paints. In theory they sound great, but factors like climate, humidity, temperature range, etc. are so variable across North America. They are also expensive, even when local shipping is factored in.

Jade - what is your current opinion on exterior paint for windows ? I am feeling like Benjamin Moore alkyd (i.e. DTM paints) are probably a better choice for windows and doors v.s. latex. I have stripped the old paint off, so without the extra step of an adhesion primer I am assuming the alkyd will make a more durable bond ?

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

My old boss gave it a try a few years ago. The putty has to be heated to an uncomfortably high temperature to become elastic. Out of the can it's like frozen cookie dough. I could not manage it at all.
The paint goes on streaky and dries streaky (we were using a dark green color). I cannot see it being popular with customers.
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

some just keep a PO box that's across the line. Im only 20 mins from the border. I haven't' done this but know lots that do. Or I believe there are businesses that cater to this. Yes UPS is the worst. I always check if I order things from the US that they aren't using UPS. the best I have found is USPS / canada post especially if they can just put like 5 bucks on it with no insurance. i usually tell them Ill take the chance on breakages or loss. It speeds up shipping considerably, when the packages get into the post office brokerage system they seem to sit in a pile for at least a couple weeks. A lot of shippers in the US dont' know what an issue they will cause for you if they try to send a package across the line using UPS because I guess they are common in the US

Vala

Post by Vala »

Yea the putty doesn't sound appealing... I have used the Allback paint on my new old windows. (got a quart) It smells like the old linseed oil paint when it heats up with the heat gun when I'm stripping old paint. And yea it did fade somewhat within a few months even on the north side, but I was using black paint for the sashes so it's not that noticeable, and the regular alkyd black paint I used faded as well on the sunny sides so it all kinda matches up lol.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

I use whatever linseed oil putty I can get and I can't say I've ever had problems, except with partially-used pails that sat for too long. Kneading the putty in my hands always softened it enough to work well.

Linseed oil paint isn't cheap but you need very little of it. It does require quite a few very thin coats with at least 24 hours drying time though, somewhere between 3 and 5 coats. I can't say anything about dark colours because I've only used antique white so far. The thin coats mean that you won't get any drips, runs or filled-up details, the results look very crisp and clean!

Next year I'll have to re-restore windows I did in 2008 using oil-based paint and I'll definitely try forest green linseed oil paint so I'll see how that fares.

Willa

Post by Willa »

My order arrived yesterday. After shipping and taxes a one L container of putty cost close to $ 55.00 CAN.

I was expecting a hard paste, as per others experiences. Instructions suggest to warm it up in a microwave prior to use. I don't have one, so I set it on top of the stove while I was using the oven. It was a hot day here. I was surprised that the putty I dug out of the can was very soft. I dug through the entire can with my putty knife. While there were drier areas this stuff was soft enough to stick to my hands.

I was replacing the glass in the powder room window. I had prepped the frame, and hard to do some carving down to make the glass fit. As per the local idiosyncrasies of buildings here, my lower sash had a slot at the top for the glass to fit into, while the other three sides fit the frame conventionally. I had chosen a ribbed privacy glass which was 4 mm thick, and I had to widen the slot a little to make it fit.

It has been years since I did any glazing. My impression of my can of Allback was that it was a little looser than I was used to, and also seemed to have some resistance about sticking to the shellacked surface. The distributor does sell calcium carbonate, which can be used to absorb some oil. I didn't buy any - but being able to make the putty less fluid would have been a slight improvement. It seemed okay to work with. Since I glaze windows about once a decade my input has a very limited perspective. I have several windows that need the putty repaired v.s. being entirely reglazed. I'll see how that fares.

Given the price for this product ( 1L can = 2.5 kg = about 5 lbs allegedly) I dunno. Anyone interested in becoming a CAN distributor for Sarco ?