Jeld-Wen Auralast wood windows?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Greenwood
Knows the area

Jeld-Wen Auralast wood windows?

Post by Greenwood »

I am getting an addition on my 1912 foursquare. I decided on Loewen windows from Manitoba, but my builder tells me that I'll be unhappy with the pane size, in that that the glass area will be small in comparison to the wood parts and I won't get as much light as I am getting on the original part of my house (vinyl) The cost is also substantial - I think round about $12,000 for 7 double hung windows.

I plucked some old windows from my grandmother's house, but did not get the window frames. I think I could rejuvenate the wood, but Canadian building code would not allow me to install the single pane glass. The storms need a bit more work. I have no idea how to replace the single pane with double sealed etc. and don't even know if it's possible. Any ideas on that? I'm in western Canada.
But unless I order windows from a custom heritage builder, I'm not going to get true divided lights except in my grandmother's windows.

The other option is JELD-WEN windows - they advertise Auralast wood - wood that's been soaked in preservative. they appear to be wood throughout and they offer double hung, but it's not clear if the divider lights are suitable for an old house. They're advertised as "wood muntins permanently applied to the exterior of the insulating unit ... and interior muntin bars are permanently bonded to the interior glass," and then there is a grill mounted between the glass panes suspended within the air cavity.
Anybody have an opinion on Jeld Wen windows in these circumstances?

Greenwood
Knows the area

Re: Jeld-Wen Auralast wood windows?

Post by Greenwood »

Phil, I'm wondering whether you have any experience with true wood windows from any of the small BC firms in your area? Costs and quality, for example.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

not really. I think you could look them up and get pricing.
one place it will say is good for moldings is this one
http://www.tanex.com/

he has a lot of older machines and will make knives to suit your profile, so he could make the stock to make windows but I'm not sure if he makes windows themselves. speaking to him could be a good place to start researching.

this supplier has been in business for a long long time. recently his building was expropriated and I thought it had gone under but spoke to someone local that said he is moving to a nearby location. He;s not just a molding supplier but one who caters to older homes so he has knives for many many profiles from previous jobs.

to do windows you probably need your own molding machine though because the profiles need to be cut to pieces that are specific in length.

I worked in a factory that had CNC machines that corner weld and trim the vinyl. So far as vinyl ones they are good but I think they may only supply for the houses they build. the equipment used to manufacture windows was moved to Port Hope Ontario.

I think you could make wood windows with the double glazing but you need a different profile to accept the cells rather than sheet glass, also the weight will be heavier so if you adapt windows you also need really heavy weights by comparison.

I have a neighbor that had a wood one made up locally but I forget who they dealt with , I will try to find out the name.. I remember hearing the price and felt it was reasonable.

vvzz
Been here a while

Post by vvzz »

Greenwood wrote:The other option is JELD-WEN windows - they advertise Auralast wood - wood that's been soaked in preservative. they appear to be wood throughout and they offer double hung, but it's not clear if the divider lights are suitable for an old house. They're advertised as "wood muntins permanently applied to the exterior of the insulating unit ... and interior muntin bars are permanently bonded to the interior glass," and then there is a grill mounted between the glass panes suspended within the air cavity.
Anybody have an opinion on Jeld Wen windows in these circumstances?

I don't know about Jeld Wen windowd, but couple of years ago I got a new wooden Marvin Ultimate window for my kitchen with SDL(simulated divided light) - same setup as you mention. I think it's a good system and it looks exactly the same as a window with true multiple panes.

I also recommend you go to a showroom and see any windows you are considering in person.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Hoffmeyer's (Sebringville, ON) can fabricate wood windows in any size/type. I don't know if they are set up to do double paned glass, though ? One member here (from the US) bought a whole house's worth and was really happy with them:

http://www.hoffmeyersmill.on.ca/web/hoffmeyers.htm

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

If single pane windows are not to code anymore can you still use double windows? I grew up in a house with both, in a cold climate. we had both.

single pane aluminum windows would get ice on them on the frames inside the house because the aluminum conducted the cold inside and it would freeze so we'd have melting ice on the inside on the frames dripping onto the sills. but they stayed open so you could see outside. the double windows ( two aluminum framed windows spaced about 4" apart) worked a lot better for heat but they would fog so you couldn't see out. If we opened the inner one to let it air out during the day they would clear. we were happy to have at least one big double pane window so we could see out. I think if they were wood windows the same would happen, they insulate pretty well but they fog up in between at cold temperatures.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Check to see if the code allows for exceptions with historic buildings and houses. I have yet to see a new window from any maker that looks good in an old house.

Shops that make things like wood screens and doors should be able to make window sash. If there's no bending on the code, I would be tempted to go the cheap route on windows, only to swap them out with salvaged or fabricated sash after the final inspection. I guess you can tell I don't care for bureaucrats telling me what I can and can't do with my own property! :)

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

I'm in Ontario, and while I am aware of municipal building codes, which vary slightly, I am unaware of any Canadian building codes which prohibit the use of single pane windows. Ask whoever told you this to cite specifically where this is stated.

Vintage/antique sash or casement window + properly fitting storm window = same or better insulation value than new double pane windows.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I believe Greenwood has new construction going on and as such, he will need to build to code. But as colonialrevival suggests after inspection they could be replaced.

Greenwood
Knows the area

Post by Greenwood »

Willa wrote:I'm in Ontario, and while I am aware of municipal building codes, which vary slightly, I am unaware of any Canadian building codes which prohibit the use of single pane windows. Ask whoever told you this to cite specifically where this is stated.

Vintage/antique sash or casement window + properly fitting storm window = same or better insulation value than new double pane windows.

So, thanks everyone for your thoughts. Much appreciated. I checked in to the claim of building codes and found out there is NOTHING prohibiting me from using old, single-pane windows. So that is what I'm going to do !
The builder will make me 'sign off' on my decision to use old windows, but he is otherwise ok in installing them for me.
So, now to the work of replacing some panes in the windows and then refurbishing the storms.

Can I ask, this is not 'wavy' glass and some panes are cracked and some are missing altogether, is there any special glass I should purchase? Should I replace the glass in all the windows? Is glass from a hundred years ago different from glass today?
Regarding putty, most of the windows need work, but a couple of the windows have intact putty. Should I just leave those be, or replace the putty at this time?
Thanks again,
Andrea