Stain in wood furniture

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Stain in wood furniture

Post by Manalto »

I agree with all you've said. Stone is beautiful but particularly harsh as a countertop when you set down a glass or plate. CLACK! It's not so pleasant underfoot, either - even with radiant heat.

Formica is a plastic but, having been around for over 100 years, gets a pass.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

The part a/b peroxide type of wood bleach works really well, too.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Thanks, Casey. That's good to know for future projects.

I was able to sand off the stains in this case. This one turned out to be a bit of a disappointment when I removed the finish and saw what I had. The wood of the table is inferior, albeit clear, with no interesting grain, and occasional gray streaks. I think it's pine but can't say for sure. I'm thinking of using a pine stain to bring out some yellow tones in the top and just painting the legs. I like a finish called Arm-R-Seal because it has the durability of polyurethane but not the "plastic" appearance. Suggestions welcome.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

This table isn't worth any more effort, other than to make it usable. This is what it looks like after the first coat of polyurethane. Because it's a gateleg, it will be handy in the kitchen when extra space is needed, hence the poly finish. I'll put on a few more coats and be done.

ImageGateleg table first coat by James McInnis, on Flickr