Please help me figure out these basement storm windows

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
leekoala
Settling in

Please help me figure out these basement storm windows

Post by leekoala »

Hi all,
I'm trying to figure out why my basement storm window appears this way, which seems contrary to what I would have expected from previously working with my double-hung windows. I have a feeling that the basement storms were put in backwards (?), but because saying that will cause a huge discussion with my husband about why the previous owners might have done that, I'm hoping that the wisdom from the forum here will help me avoid having that big discussion. :-)

This project started because I noticed the sill of the basement window looked rotted. So we started scraping the paint to prep to repair the sill, and took out the outer storm (?) window. It is a tri-pane wooden sash that is held in place with two side latches. The putty is falling out from one side.

But here are the things I don't understand when I look at the removed storm sash unit:
- The side where the putty is falling out was towards the interior of the house. Because on my regular double-hungs, the main putty line is towards the exterior, this makes me think this basement storm was put in backwards at some point in time.

- There don't seem to be any glaziers points at all, on any sides of the glass panes.

I know need to replace the putty, but I'm not sure whether to put this basement storm back in place the same way it was when I took it out (putty towards the interior) and whether to put in the glaziers points when the panes didn't have them before:
- For wooden storm sashes like this one, would the main putty line really be towards the interior of the house? And not towards the outside?

- Does it seem logical that there would be no glaziers points holding the panes in? I mean, that someone would have thought just having the putty would be enough?

All of the visible basement windows (4) seem to be the same, in that the main putty line is on the interior side, so I can't tell if this one is just an oddball.

I have attached some pics -- my digital camera is not so good at focusing so if more are needed to help give an idea of what it looks like, please let me know. One pic is of the basement window after the we removed the storm sash, showing the two latches that held it into place. The other pics are of the storm sash, one showing the side that had been facing the exterior and the other two of what I call the putty side (the main line of putty falling out).

Thanks!
Lee
Basement window with storm sash removed
Basement window with storm sash removed
basement-storm-removed.jpg (1007.01 KiB) Viewed 1059 times

Storm sash that was towards the exterior
Storm sash that was towards the exterior
basement-storm-was-exterior-side.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 1059 times

Storm sash side where the putty is falling out - second pic
Storm sash side where the putty is falling out - second pic
basement-storm-putty-side1.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 1059 times

Storm sash side where the putty is falling out
Storm sash side where the putty is falling out
basement-storm-putty-side2.jpg (832.92 KiB) Viewed 1059 times

leekoala
Settling in

Re: Please help me figure out these basement storm windows

Post by leekoala »

Well, after posting my question and then looking at the storm sash again, I suddenly realized that they must be in the right orientation, because the angle at the bottom of the storm matches the angle of the sill. (See -- just posting the question got my brain working. :-)

I am still curious though -- why would the main (thick) putty line be on the inside of these basement storm sashes? And the more carved part of the muntins on the outside (which is opposite from standard old-house double-hung sashes in the main part of the house)?

Thanks!
Lee

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

the putty is typically facing the exterior...the putty is finished tooled at an angle so, regardless of which way the rain is failing, it will shed away from the sash...it's a good idea to install glazing points...when the putty fails, the points will keep the glass from falling out...they also hold the glass in place while the putty sets up...since the bevel at the bottom rail is sloped with the sill, best to put the storms back in the way they were....who the heck knows why they were done that way....
...jade

leekoala
Settling in

Post by leekoala »

Thanks Jade for confirming that typically the putty is facing the exterior, and that it's a good idea to put in the points. Always good to have the confirmation that I'm on a good path before taking the next step. :-)

-- Lee

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

yes, indeed, no fun to be unsure when you are moving forward...
you know, it's odd that all the putty would be missing from the storm...since it is facing the interior and protected from the weather, it should be in similar condition as the primary sash...sometimes situations present themselves and remain a mystery...if there were points holding in the glass, I would have guessed that maybe there was never putty on the storm in the first place...
carry on and do your best......when a job is well done, you can take the credit and enjoy!
...jade

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

just a guess but could they have switched it around to improve security? with most old windows its pretty easy and quiet to pick out the putty remove the glass and gain entry without making noise or breaking stuff.

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

These look exactly like my basement windows. And I'd fully agree with what you've heard - glazing on the exterior. Without glazing on the outside your muntins are going to decay a lot faster than they would normally right? Water is going to sit and rot.

Weird installation.

Some of mine were in backwards but it was obvious that they had been moved around a bit and none fit well anymore - especially after a couple of thick coats of paint.