Got Some Antique Trim !

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Got Some Antique Trim !

Post by Willa »

The seller got back to me, and as of today I have some antique trim. It seems quite workable for my purposes. I bought the whole lot, including shorter pieces of the narrower trim, because who knows ? The corner blocks are 1" wider than I need - 5.75" but like the trim, this can be trimmed off the edges to fit as needed. He also included some unusual (to me) corner blocks with a square design, and brought the plinths he had. These are too mighty for my purposes - over 2.25" thick - but they are something ! He said he has a lot of old baseboard, of which I need a little, as well as some antique light fixtures, doorknobs, etc.

It's such a relief when these transactions work out well. This area has a bunch of sellers who don't delete their ads, but also don't get back to you if the thing is sold or who knows what. Getting this trim, v.s. the fruitless pursuit with the useless mill, is a relief.

_DSC0003.JPG
_DSC0003.JPG (704.01 KiB) Viewed 651 times

_DSC0009.JPG
_DSC0009.JPG (1015.06 KiB) Viewed 651 times

_DSC0008.JPG
_DSC0008.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 651 times

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Re: Got Some Antique Trim !

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Oooh, very nice! Good score! I miss the stage where we were sourcing old trim etc. Maybe time to find a new uninhabitable wreck, lol ...Mal

Willa

Post by Willa »

Sow's Ear Mal wrote:Oooh, very nice! Good score! I miss the stage where we were sourcing old trim etc. Maybe time to find a new uninhabitable wreck, lol ...Mal

You can come on down, SE Mal - I haven't posted ANY pics of the hideous and possibly precarious back porch. Much undoing yet to come before any progress can happen. If you are really jonesing for some unhappy house feelings of being overwhelmed and mortified, then bring your prybar and let's start getting the wood panelling, fake wood panelling, misc. wallpaper and iffy electrical outlets exposed. Plus probably 70 years of mouse poop in the insulation and boards on the ceiling. Much frowning to come.

Yes, I am happy I decided that this was a reasonable compromise for the missing trim. There's a point where good enough IS good enough. If the PO had replaced the missing trim with this and it was painted to match, it might have taken me weeks to even notice. Even in these boards there was one anomalous board with three v.s. two grooves in the middle. So I am not the first person who did some subbing with what was available.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Congratulations on your find!

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

Beautiful trim! Excited to see how it turns out!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Great stuff Willa, there's more wood in that one plinth that in most modern new builds. As a bonus, paint removal should be a breeze with it off the wall.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Hurrah! :greetings-clappingorange: Glad this worked out.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

Great find! It looks to be in great shape!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

Willa

Post by Willa »

Pics of the plinths from Gothichome, now in my possession. It's interesting how they are the same, but not 100% precisely uniform:

_DSC0002.JPG
_DSC0002.JPG (1.68 MiB) Viewed 573 times

_DSC0003.JPG
_DSC0003.JPG (1.75 MiB) Viewed 573 times

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

what can happen is you sand the floor, then the plinth block sits a tiny bit closer to the floor, and there is no 1/4 round there to hide it so it has to sit on the floor. next the side casings sit on top of that. now if the two dont; add up to a tad more than the doorjamb height it isn't right. sometimes I have to re use other casings to make them just a tad longer to compensate or make new plinth blocks. Those are too fancy to want to recreate. I don't have the corner blocks so maybe it is slightly different since you do.

if these parts dont' stack up to the right height then you either have a gap somewhere or the casing above the door isn't high enough. usually it should be 1/8th or so above the doorjamb so there is a little step there. the casing above the door , ( or whatever its called) cant' be lower than the doorjamb.

I'd do a quick check of the ones you are using to see if they will come out long enough before you invest in the finishing just so it isn't a "gotcha" right at the end.