Cutting Linoleum

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Cutting Linoleum

Post by Texas_Ranger »

The asbestos tile wouldn't be an issue... that is until someone wants to remove it at some point in the future! I'd never glue down any product like that out of consideration for future owners or even myself if I tire of the pattern!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

when I pulled up my cork they had laid like building paper or something, construction paper. You could use card stock. They glued that down with something water soluble, then glued the tile on top of that. this way I could pull it up and split the paper. I'd do that.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

If you set up a fence to help with straight cuts, you can also get a hand lino cutter, which come in a variety of price ranges. If you've never seen one before, this is what they look like:
Here's a tutorial I had stored about how to sharpen a lino cutter. Mine is long overdue for such, but we're not yet at the stage where we know how much "repair" we might need to do on ours, so it's not near the top of the need to do list yet.
https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/lino-knives/how-to-sharpen-a-lino-knife

I'll try to find a post Al made on one of my lino related threads that talks about how he used to do refurb on them. I think it mentions seam sealing, but it's been a while. I'll try to find it some time today, but it might not be until late tonight.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

Oh I just saw this! I suggested Marmoleum in your other post. Based on my research, I thought it would be tricky to do this well myself, and I went with one of their installers. I have the sheet Marmoleum, and I picked a colorful one which I love.

No idea about the prices of these new products, but they now have these cool rugs you can buy and they have aquajet custom patterns. If you go to a design studio that has marmoleum they have these kits with tiny shapes you can play with...so they definitely make small tiles at least for samples. I've seen really nice period kitchens that have marmoleum with a nice border or a marmoleum "rug". You can also buy rectangular tiles, which look incredible in a herringbone pattern.

1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

Lily left the valley

Found Al's post here. However, it was about restoring the lino overall, not about the seams. Sorry about that.

Now I can't recall where I read about seam seals... :eusa-think:
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Texas_Ranger

Post by Texas_Ranger »

I might have posted something along those lines on your thread, possibly in the introduction! My trusty 1958 DIY book has a long section on installing linoleum and mentions sealing seams with hot paraffin, necessary since the adhesive wasn't water-resistant. I believe that's still done in sheet installs.

Lily left the valley

Texas_Ranger wrote:I might have posted something along those lines on your thread, possibly in the introduction! My trusty 1958 DIY book has a long section on installing linoleum and mentions sealing seams with hot paraffin, necessary since the adhesive wasn't water-resistant. I believe that's still done in sheet installs.
Thanks for mentioning that. I'll try to look for it when I can, as it will come in handy. I've got my '61 "America's Handyman Book" in my lap as I type this. The book does speak to repairs, but does not get into seam melds. There is a mention in the patch section regarding uneven edges where you lay the patch though to "Fill any large holes with fine chips of linoleum added to varnish; small spaces will be filled as linoleum spreads."

What really shocked me was this advice on "refreshing" your linoleum (which also includes tips about paint spattering over your existing and other very familiar sounding pattern/design making tips you see on DIY sites now a days):
To freshen linoleum, first use alcohol and steel wool to scrub away old wax. Then apply two coats of floor enamel, any color you like.
At first I was wondering, "won't that muck up the surface? Then I realized the point of that tip is to essentially completely change the floor look/color as you would a wall. So I guess "refresh" was a euphemism for "cheap changes to the look of"? I wonder would it cease to have the same surface quality following those instructions? What's really odd to me is there is no mention of wax at all as to a final coat, but maybe that's implied. Everything other than the quote above is about varnish.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

According to the last two I've communicated with, flooring stores around here must be doing extremely well. One, a large supplier with multiple showrooms, took my call and at first feigned interest in my desire to install a linoleum kitchen floor. The salesman said he would get back to me "in a day or two" regarding the availability of smaller linoleum tiles or the possibility of cutting or ordering a smaller tile. He didn't. Even my follow-up call a week later failed to produce an answer.

A few days ago, I stopped into another flooring store that I happened to be passing by and this time decided to be more flexible about the material. When the salesman heard the words 'small room' his eyes glazed over and from then on I was on my own. It was like pulling teeth trying to find out if something could be special-ordered. I find it astonishing how completely color has fallen out of fashion, to the point where a business can't be bothered to even discuss it. Maybe flooring stores are only interested in large projects and expect homeowners to go to the big-box stores for their flooring. However, my one inquiry at one of those produced a surly "we got vinyl; it's over there."

I had better luck a few months ago when I called a flooring company directly. I'll continue to poke around and see what I can come up with.

awomanwithahammer

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Go into the store, flash a big wad of cash and tell them you're considering covering the floor of your yacht with Marmoleum. Or your entire 6000 square foot country home. Ask how it will hold up under the boots of all your friends, as well as the foxhounds, when they come back from riding to the hunt. Do not say anything about a small room! See if that elicits any more information, and then tell them you've decided to limit it to your closet--the one that's the size of your kitchen. :icon-lol:
Bonnie

Lily left the valley

James, when you next talk to any manufacturer, it might not hurt to let them know how you felt snubbed due to your room size when you went to the flooring place(s) that sold their product. :whistle: I think it also wouldn't hurt to mention that you are working on a historical district renovation too, because some folks are smart enough to know that word of mouth recommendations are worth more than paid ads.

Good luck with the search!