Cutting Linoleum

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Cutting Linoleum

Post by phil »

I like the colors , the green and yellow go together. I bet you could lay that stuff and then use a commercial product with a buffer and that would really stand up well. Even without that it would last well. what is it they use Urethane? itt a clear "wax" that really fills the cracks and leaves a hard shell, then they strip it and re-do it in commercial spaces.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

The consensus among tile professionals (those who don't try to talk me out of doing this) is to carefully make a jig for the guillotine-type cutter, and make the cuts at room temperature (70s F), then run a sanding block along the edge to smooth it. The tile guy down the street told me about a technique he uses when there's a tiny gap. He takes a spare tile, scrapes off some "dust" with a file, and sweeps it into the gap. Then he hits it quickly with a heat gun and it seals the gap. There are also clear permanent sealers that you can apply when the job is done; I think they're epoxy, but haven't looked into that yet.

Last night I went to Home Depot to get the samples that Armstrong will no longer send for free. (There's a limit of 5.) Each 6 X 6" sample is almost $9; clearly they are trying to discourage people from the practice. The samples in some tile stores (Home Depot's flooring department has NONE) are tiny - about the size of a matchbook. I'd like to be able to see what the colors look like in real life (not a computer monitor) but since VCT is mostly used for commercial projects, that requires some legwork. I'm still pondering the Golden element of the trio, and wonder if Cantaloupe might be better.
This -

ImageVCT Trio LGA Cantaloupe Acrobat by James McInnis, on Flickr

or this?

ImageVCT Trio Golden LGA and Acrobat by James McInnis, on Flickr
Last edited by Manalto on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I'm inclining toward the Golden. It seems more complementary to the greens and less of a contrast than the Cantaloupe.
Bonnie

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

I don't know if this will help, but this site has both trios (or nearby, the grapefruit is a bit more pink than coral) in pictures from old catalogs and architectural specs. Please note they are from the 1920s, which the site also notes is when color became more often used to move past the "sanitary" white stage that developed during the 1900s-1910s. I don't know how much you've given thought to the rest of the color in the kitchen, but I know for me, seeing similar color families in action helps me decide when color planning.

Three examples (the latter of which I've posted lots of times, but it has the green & coral--also a 1929):
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Thanks, Lily, that helps a lot. I don't want to be slavish about period authenticity; I've already departed from that by using a vinyl-composite product. The idea is to evoke the feeling of the era, i.e., no bogus woodgrain or faux-stone vinyl, no 50s kitsch or harsh (stone/ceramic) modern materials. I think the mere fact that the scale is smaller helps tremendously. The few images I've seen of 1910s square-patterned floors seem to approximate that 6" scale, or smaller.

A friend with a good-quality tile saw (the kind that's designed to cut brick) has offered to try cutting some scrap VCT on it and see how it does. If it performs well, we'll cut it that way. Once the jig is clamped to the bed of the saw, it's possible to feed through a stack of tiles 2-3" high, which should make the job go pretty quickly.

My sink is similar to the top picture, but with the left drainboard only.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Manalto wrote:Thanks, Lily, that helps a lot. I don't want to be slavish about period authenticity; I've already departed from that by using a vinyl-composite product. The idea is to evoke the feeling of the era, i.e., no bogus woodgrain or faux-stone vinyl, no 50s kitsch or harsh (stone/ceramic) modern materials. I think the mere fact that the scale is smaller helps tremendously. The few images I've seen of 1910s square-patterned floors seem to approximate that 6" scale, or smaller.

A friend with a good-quality tile saw (the kind that's designed to cut brick) has offered to try cutting some scrap VCT on it and see how it does. If it performs well, we'll cut it that way. Once the jig is clamped to the bed of the saw, it's possible to feed through a stack of tiles 2-3" high, which should make the job go pretty quickly.

My sink is similar to the top picture, but with the left drainboard only.
I understand about not wanting a museum. Our home is a mix of 20s deco and more typical bungalow, and we also have old "updates", like the lino over the wood floor. So after some thought we decided to just have fun with different looks from roughly late 20s to late 30s in various rooms. The only exceptions to that rough time frame is the MCM stuff I just don't want to part with (and some was made right here in Gardner to boot) that we decided will likely end up in the parlor, having the library be more typical bungalowesque. Also the office is a catch all of stuff we just like. :D

I hope things go well with your friend's saw. Love following your process and looking forward to seeing how it all comes together over time. :popcorn:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I decided to go with the more subdued combination, as Bonnie suggested:

ImageVCT Trio Golden LGA and Acrobat by James McInnis, on Flickr

For this room:

Image319 Kitchen 2 by James McInnis, on Flickr

It's the more conservative choice and - I'm basing this only on gut feeling - it seems more suitable to the era and the Craftsman palette. That color combination was used on some Glenwood stoves from about that time. Tile has been ordered and I will cut it on the tile/stone saw at my friend's house. I'll continue the border color, 'Acrobat' - the darker green - into the adjoining room, whose floor will be one solid color. (Sorry about the mess - it was a central location for all my 'fix-it' supplies while I was there.) Those bookcases are blocking east-facing windows; when they are removed (and they will be) the room will look much lighter.

Image319 Fifth Den by James McInnis, on Flickr

From the outside:

Image319 Fifth Rear by James McInnis, on Flickr

That skirt board needs some attention, eh? It's on the list. :roll:

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

awomanwithahammer wrote:I'm inclining toward the Golden. It seems more complementary to the greens and less of a contrast than the Cantaloupe.

that was my thought as well , the colors compliment each other nicely..

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

I adore the photos lily posted and am really excited to see how this turns out! I'm a huge fan of linoleum. Great color choices!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Oh, you missed the shift in material to vinyl composite tile (VCT). Linoleum, according to the flooring experts, won't hold up to being cut into relatively small (6") pieces for the checkerboard pattern. (I got plenty of flak for wanting to do it with VCT until I found professionals who had used it successfully.) The good news is that VCT is 80% limestone powder, so it's a (80%) natural material which is durable (it's mostly used commercially) and, once it's burnished and buffed, acquires a wonderful gloss.

I hope the colors work. My measure of success is if, at a glance, it looks like a meticulously-maintained original floor. Here's a sketch of the (current) plan for the layout, subject to change:

Image319 Kitchen tile color sketch by James McInnis, on Flickr

Kitchen is at left; serving pantry is upper right (hutch/cabinet against wall opposite sink); "stores" pantry (with shelves) at lower right.