Cutting Linoleum

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Cutting Linoleum

Post by Manalto »

awomanwithahammer wrote:I love the blue plaid pattern!

I do too, but in different colors; I've never cared much for blue. Butter yellow and two shades of green, maybe, with a black border. I'm being seduced!

awomanwithahammer wrote:I don't suppose they come in an 8 x 8?

According to the website, 12" is the smallest. (see below*)

awomanwithahammer wrote:You know, James, even if you can only get 12 x 12, a diagonal layout can make a room look larger instead of overwhelming the space. And looking at the photo with the black border, a smaller "rug," with tiles laid diagonally, surrounded by a dark border might be just the thing. You'd still get your checkerboard pattern, but it would be anchored by the border.

I'm stubborn on this one. 12" is the wrong scale. (Everything else you said I agree with.) *It may not be an issue if they can be cut cleanly. Investigating the cutting tools leads me to believe the cutter will cost more than the tile. I'm going to call the company tomorrow.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:[quote="awomanwithahammer"

I'm stubborn on this one. 12" is the wrong scale. (Everything else you said I agree with.) *It may not be an issue if they can be cut cleanly. Investigating the cutting tools leads me to believe the cutter will cost more than the tile. I'm going to call the company tomorrow.

Yet if you visited 40's/50's time capsule houses this is exactly the same size of tile that was used.

Again, if you cut them down, precision is going to be your devil for a checkerboard pattern.

Have a look at some of the floor layers forums. There were grumbles about how a non-Armstrong product was not always cleanly cut leading to misalignment that could not be remedied without pulling up the floor and using a different product. Try posting this size dilemma there ?

I did a bunch of reading when I was planning to use VC Tile in my bathroom(not that I lurk on floor layers forums otherwise).

Perhaps there are other solutions like having a room's worth laser cut to size, by a business that does laser cutting ?

VC Tile is less spongy than linoleum, and does not have a jute backing. One of the floor layer's tricks to laying successfully was that he gave all the edges a light sanding before applying to get rid of any debris left over from cutting.

The nightmare apartment had these tiles in every room except the bathroom - grey and white. The kitchen had a dark red and white, which I really liked. Your sub floor surface needs to be levelled and free of any nails that are not sunk deeply. If the subfloor is not flat the tiles will eventually crack and the nailheads will be visible, particularly on a glossy surface. The worst thing about the apartment was the exceptionally skinny hallway - 34" wide. Even in this narrow space the tiles looked fine.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Are we going to have to take this out into the parking lot? :x

Willa wrote:Yet if you visited 40's/50's time capsule houses this is exactly the same size of tile that was used.

Maybe so, but the tiles original to the house I'm in right now (1955) are 9". Besides, why would I want to emulate the floors of the 40s-50s when my house is 1918? Have I mentioned that I don't want 12" tiles in that little kitchen and tiny pantry? They're too big. They're the wrong size. They'll look out of proportion. Don't want 'em.

Willa wrote:Again, if you cut them down, precision is going to be your devil for a checkerboard pattern.

Again, I know. Hence my search for a properly-cut tile.

Willa wrote:Have a look at some of the floor layers forums...Try posting this size dilemma there ?...Perhaps there are other solutions like having a room's worth laser cut to size, by a business that does laser cutting ?

Good ideas.

Willa wrote:(not that I lurk on floor layers forums otherwise).

So you say. I'll bet they start mixing your drink when they see you walk in. ;-)

Willa wrote:VC Tile is less spongy than linoleum, and does not have a jute backing.

Sigh. It is indeed a compromise. Linoleum is nice underfoot. I remember sitting on the linoleum kitchen floor when I was a kid and playing with the cat. It got warm in the sun. The vinyl floor that replaced it seemed slick and nasty to me then. I'm afraid, however, that a checkerboard in lino would be unstable. So - compromise.

Willa wrote:Your sub floor surface needs to be levelled and free of any nails that are not sunk deeply.

The sub-floor will be perfection itself. That is first on my list for the carpenter when I go back in December.

What about that behemoth of a stove that I have, and also the fridge? Will it dig holes in the floor? Should I put some kind of furniture coasters under the feet?

Although I like red, the Gulf Coast is such a warm climate I feel compelled to use cooler, more soothing colors, at least for the dominant tones. What about green and cream checkerboard (or plaid) with a dark red, instead of black, border? 6" tiles, of course. Very 1918. :P

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Gee, I thought I was particular! :whistle:
Bonnie

Willa

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:Are we going to have to take this out into the parking lot? :x

What about that behemoth of a stove that I have, and also the fridge? Will it dig holes in the floor? Should I put some kind of furniture coasters under the feet?

Yes, heavy appliances will leave depressions in this type of flooring. Use coasters, etc. if this type of thing will drive you nuts.

Well - you didn't keep the 1918 knob and tube wiring, and have not acquired a 1918 icebox or stove thus far ? I think sympathetic upgrades don't ruin the character of a home. The PO probably did upgrade their 1918 flooring by the 1950's as areas like a kitchen/pantry usually got heavy wear in spite of proper maintenance like waxing.

Last suggestions:

What about using a variegated VC Tile in a single color ? Some have streaks/spots that run in a noticeable direction, and this can be used to make a subtle pattern. See also Oaktree's suggestion for the linoleum tile placement.

Or lay a wood floor and paint it in 9 x9 squares or replicate a vintage sheet linoleum pattern ?

img_2296.jpg
img_2296.jpg (39.84 KiB) Viewed 402 times

Asb_Excelon_Floor_1955_s.jpg
Asb_Excelon_Floor_1955_s.jpg (52.73 KiB) Viewed 402 times

(Offering advice as a person with a stubborn tendency to hang onto specific notions. When faced with obstacles I can be immobilized until opening myself to other possibilities, then action. )

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Manalto, have you considered roll cork at all? You can paint stain that any pattern you like without compromising the spongey quality of the cork.

There's one company you might want to take a look at if you're inclined to consider this: Globus Cork

They also have pre colored cork tiles, as well as a wide offering of tile shapes and I did notice 6" square tiles are available. I was looking into them back when I first found that wild period kitchen floor that looks like stained glass I posted about elsewhere here.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

awomanwithahammer wrote:Gee, I thought I was particular! :whistle:

Mee-ow! This is my home sweet home we're talking about, plus I like to hang out in the kitchen and listen to the hum of the fridge. Why not have it just as I'd like it? In truth, my pattern has been to start out with high ideals - incorruptible standards - and then those standards begin to slide and I wind up compromising. So I've found it's better to start out by aiming high. Nobody else does that?

Willa wrote:Last suggestions:...
(Offering advice as a person with a stubborn tendency to hang onto specific notions. When faced with obstacles I can be immobilized until opening myself to other possibilities, then action. )

"Last"? Are you giving up on me?

I know what you mean. If my idea isn't feasible, I'd like to hear it from a flooring person with whom I can have a decent discussion about it, not someone who's wishing I were an 30,000 square foot factory.

The alternating grain idea is indeed a good compromise. A little boring. It may come to that.

Lily left the valley wrote:Manalto, have you considered roll cork at all?

I haven't. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to check it out.

ETA: I looked at the cork flooring. Nice! I'm taking a ride down to the Bronx this week!
Last edited by Manalto on Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Not throwing shade--just amused that there is someone as much a perfectionist as I am.

Lily, I've never seen this cork flooring before, and I really like it. I have been looking for something for my laundry room, and this just might fit the bill.
Bonnie

Willa

Post by Willa »

Lily left the valley wrote:Manalto, have you considered roll cork at all? You can paint stain that any pattern you like without compromising the spongey quality of the cork.

There's one company you might want to take a look at if you're inclined to consider this: Globus Cork

They also have pre colored cork tiles, as well as a wide offering of tile shapes and I did notice 6" square tiles are available. I was looking into them back when I first found that wild period kitchen floor that looks like stained glass I posted about elsewhere here.

I'm really liking the variety of sizes/shapes of tiles they offer. The palette is a little muted for my bad taste but is certainly more than the current blah beige-grey-brown of flooring that has currently infested the market. I'm not even in the market for flooring but now I'm looking at their range.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

I'm glad so many folks like it!

I was wanting cork for our kitchen before we found the linoleum under the fake wood vinyl strips, and then the original wood floor (not subfloor) in there. I'm still wanting cork, and my thinking is we could pull up the wood floor and use it in places (present and future) where really bad damage was done. There's a patch in the office from a radiator related issue that could use such, for instance.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.