Cutting Linoleum

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Cutting Linoleum

Post by Manalto »

Thanks. I knew it wouldn't be a "mainstream" process to put in a checkerboard linoleum kitchen floor, but I'm surprised at how offbeat this project is perceived by so many people. Just this morning I responded to a Craigslist ad for a flooring business which has closed down and had linoleum among its inventory for sale. I'm aware that the term is still used interchangeably with vinyl, even by professionals, and this was indeed the case. When I clarified that it was authentic linoleum I was looking for, the seller responded by telling me it was "inferior." I categorize this response with the advice I constantly hear, to get vinyl replacement windows and knock down a couple of walls for an open floor plan, under the heading "WRONG." To those people, regardless of anything I had said before to the contrary, I just say, "Oh, I'm just flipping this house" - a concept the TV-watching public seems to understand and accept more than evolution and climate change.

Bonnie, it's a sad statement when we have to trick people into treating us decently. I like your strategy, except for the yacht with linoleum decks. It just doesn't pass the credibility test. :lol:

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I don't know why you say that's not credible, James. When the Titanic was built, linoleum was the latest, greatest thing. On the Grand Staircase landing, they either ripped out the already installed marble flooring or scrapped plans to install marble flooring (can't remember which) in order to install linoleum instead.

It just sounded like the kind of somebody with more money than sense would take a notion to do!
Bonnie

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I suppose you're right! My comment was meant to be taken with tongue firmly planted in cheek anyway. Interesting about the Titanic. I guess I could give the impression of someone with more money than sense. I think I'll start shopping in white tie, tails and huaraches.

I've recently heard of a couple of people who have carpet installed in their kitchens, and yet I get resistance for asking about linoleum. To quote the WWW, "What a world."

awomanwithahammer

I guess you couldn't tell how firmly my tongue was planted in my cheek!
Bonnie

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:Thanks. I knew it wouldn't be a "mainstream" process to put in a checkerboard linoleum kitchen floor, but I'm surprised at how offbeat this project is perceived by so many people.

Bonnie, it's a sad statement when we have to trick people into treating us decently. I like your strategy, except for the yacht with linoleum decks. It just doesn't pass the credibility test. :lol:

Now you are in my territory, Manalto - the attempts at humiliation by business people who do not even comprehend a product/process !

Thought: have you considered doing this project "backwards" - i.e. looking for an older floor layer tradesperson experienced with actual linoleum/Marmoleum ? S/he might know a source for roll-ends or have a stash of leftovers from other projects. Actual sheet linoleum is used in commercial applications like veterinary clinics, doctor's offices, schools, post offices, etc. A long time ago I responded to a CL ad, and the guy was a contractor who had quite an amount of roll-ends he had kept from various projects rather than seeing the surplus in the trash. It was bad timing for me - but the stuff is out there.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I think it's a good approach. I'll have to do it remotely, though, because the project is 1,000 miles away in Alabama. I've been having trouble finding reliable people for more ordinary, simpler tasks, so something this specialized will take more effort. I really have to dig in and connect with the right folks - I know they're out there. If I wait until I get there to line up this work, I'll lose precious time - my stay there will be limited to a few weeks.

Locally, I found a roll of linoleum on Craigslist. Now I'm trying to get the seller to respond to my emails. (Did I commit an email faux pas in my inquiry? Was my tone insufficiently subservient?) It would mean going with a solid color, so I have to decide how flexible I am about the checkerboard idea. I was also advised that each seam in linoleum is a weak point so, according to that advice (if legitimate) a checkerboard floor in that material is much less stable than sheet linoleum, properly laid. I would prefer to compromise on the pattern rather than the material. Part of the appeal of linoleum (or any flooring) to me is how it feels under bare feet, a situation I'm likely to find myself in quite often on the balmy Gulf Coast.

The reason I'm looking for things here in the Northeast U.S. is, because of the population density in this part of the country, there tends to be much more to choose from and at a better price. (I doubt that I'd find a big Thomasville hutch for $20 and a slab of epoxy resin countertop the perfect size in Alabama - or a working vintage refrigerator for free, for example.) Plus, I have the luxury of time. The trouble is, the little trailer (6X8) I bought last week for my next trip down is already almost full.

Willa

Post by Willa »

If you are set on having a checkerboard floor, just go for 12 x 12" VC Tile. You can buy it in small quantities - a box is 40 or 50 square feet - most if not all installers are experienced with it. I've seen small quantities for sale on Craigslist or Kijiji. The commercial tile comes in loads of colours including some eccentric ones. It's easy to take care of, there's a widely available polish that can be applied to give it a high shine and it's easy to take care. Some of it looks identical to vintage flooring - and the color goes right through - it's not printed. There's solid colours and colours that are variegated mixes.

You want checkerboard: actual linoleum in the size you want it does not exist in this decade. Local linoleum distributors are huffy because you need 80 square feet but they have to buy a 400 square foot roll ? And you can't find an experienced installer ? VCTile is economical and you could have a beautiful ruby red and mint green floor - or any other combo.

Think about it ? Go have a look at Armstrong's Commercial Tile site where they have all the colours.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Actual Armstrong VC Tile Color chart:

4e583493b07492869d6ad70e97361063.jpg
4e583493b07492869d6ad70e97361063.jpg (132.87 KiB) Viewed 296 times

Some ideas:

linoleum-floor-designs-1000-ideas-about-linoleum-flooring-on-pinterest-paint-linoleum.jpg
linoleum-floor-designs-1000-ideas-about-linoleum-flooring-on-pinterest-paint-linoleum.jpg (555.19 KiB) Viewed 296 times

3bd457efc71952e1e5c470f8f5ee8e9a.jpg
3bd457efc71952e1e5c470f8f5ee8e9a.jpg (767.33 KiB) Viewed 296 times

2-3.jpg
2-3.jpg (91.42 KiB) Viewed 296 times

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

It's certainly an option. I really like your color suggestion and also the black border in the last photo. However, except for the border, this brings us back to square one; 12 X 12 is out of scale - too large for my small kitchen and pantry. I'll explore cutting VCT.

awomanwithahammer

I love the blue plaid pattern! Not so crazy about the other patterns, except I do like the one with the black border.

I don't suppose they come in an 8 x 8? You know, James, even if you can only get 12 x 12, a diagonal layout can make a room look larger instead of overwhelming the space. And looking at the photo with the black border, a smaller "rug," with tiles laid diagonally, surrounded by a dark border might be just the thing. You'd still get your checkerboard pattern, but it would be anchored by the border.
Bonnie