Help Willa Choose Paint Colors

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: Help Willa Choose Paint Colors

Post by Willa »

The color opposite to yellow on the color wheel is purple, which I am reluctant to use. A more muted burgundy purple would look sharp with the yellow brick, though ?

Still thinking myself into a color headache.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I'm not wild about purple either, but a muted wine color would be in the same neighborhood, and gorgeous with your soft yellow brick.

Willa

Post by Willa »

genMid.2082985_4.jpg
genMid.2082985_4.jpg (99.47 KiB) Viewed 608 times

I've been looking and can't find any pics of anyone who dared to go full on wine around the windows, doors, roofline, etc. Lots of cream houses with wine shutters and maybe a front door though.

I guess I'm trying to figure out the rules, then subvert those rules in a way that doesn't look horrible ?

Feeling this old school green, though:

06.jpg
06.jpg (166.72 KiB) Viewed 608 times

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

The old-school green looks good on that house. I favor the warmer, botanical greens (moss, olive), which would harmonize with yellow. What about the other colors? I suggest going to a cheese shop; I bet you'd find a nice palette there. What about the salmon-coral-peach family? Muted, of course.

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Uh oh- you're not talking about painting the brick, are you? I guess my answer is contingent upon that information!

Willa

Post by Willa »

Kashka-Kat wrote:Uh oh- you're not talking about painting the brick, are you? I guess my answer is contingent upon that information!

No, I won't be painting the brick !

Willa

Post by Willa »

I found this business' portfolio, and their color sense and placement on fancy San Francisco homes really knocks it out of the park, every single time:

http://www.victoriapaintingrestoration. ... ration.htm

A couple of fine examples of many colors working together with nothing overpowering each other:

5651c1d94750e22cf18d2be2ad4aa05a.jpg
5651c1d94750e22cf18d2be2ad4aa05a.jpg (58.87 KiB) Viewed 585 times

DSC00269.jpg
DSC00269.jpg (72.55 KiB) Viewed 585 times

135_scott_p_03.jpg
135_scott_p_03.jpg (89.78 KiB) Viewed 585 times

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I agree on the first two. I prefer softer contrast (broken record here) than they have on the dark red and blue horizontal elements and keystone ornamentation. It looks less sophisticated, and accentuates details that aren't particularly interesting.

I don't know why I care, but I'm campaigning for you to use the color scheme in the middle photograph. I think it would look smashing on your house - with its unpainted brick. ;-) (1128 Haight is pretty great, too.)

Did I read somewhere that Victorian windows are always painted dark colors? That seems to be the case with successful color schemes.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, having read 'Principles of decorating Design' by Charles Dresser I know the technical side of colour selection, being absolutely a colour moron I can not put two colours together. Dresser suggests picking a main colour, in your case the yellow brick. Then picking picking a colour directly opposite as a second colour, and for a third colour pick a colour from one third either side of the main colour.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Gothichome wrote:Willa, having read 'Principles of decorating Design' by Charles Dresser I know the technical side of colour selection, being absolutely a colour moron I can not put two colours together. Dresser suggests picking a main colour, in your case the yellow brick. Then picking picking a colour directly opposite as a second colour, and for a third colour pick a colour from one third either side of the main colour.

color-wheel.png
color-wheel.png (49.69 KiB) Viewed 559 times

That brings me back to yellow + purple and either blue/green or red/orange = hmmm ?