Help Willa Choose Paint Colors

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Gothichome

Re: Help Willa Choose Paint Colors

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, how about ditching the antique rose and going with sash green for a the flutes and picking out the door details. The contrast might better separate the two competing purples. It can also unify the whole home paint scheme if continued for all the picking out.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

I am still pondering what a good solution would be. The antique rose might be the right color - but in the wrong place ?

I am wondering if I need to choose a deeper burgundy - and use New London Burgundy where the Somerville Red is, plus paint the interior boxes sort of an amber toffee/buff ?

I am less enthusiastic about picking out the door details in a contrasting color, particularly as I am already not wild about New London Burgundy plus Black Forst Green together. If the green was even blacker - like barely green it would work better together I think ?

Another factor that is confounding me is bright unflitered light from the west. Colors that seem somewhat muted - like Wythe Blue look really bright on the side of the house that faces west.

My chronic paint error is choosing low contrast colors that are too low in contrast, where I have used them.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

What ever you come up with will most certainly compliment your fine efforts so far. I like that green black colour.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

This color selection feels like a real breech birth. At least by the time that I have scaffolding together for next year I should have solved this riddle. It is pretty straightforward to re-paint the main floor stuff - much less so for the peak, when I get there.

I am feeling like a Burgundy/maroon is the best choice against the yellow brick, though I also want to work some faded/sepia type colors into the blend, for the decorative shingles.

I have been feeling strongly that any parts with grooves or incised details should not be so dark as to conceal this.

Gothichome: Black Forest Green would be very period correct for your house and really pop against the red brick ?