Flat Seam Metal Roof

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
TexasRed
Been here a good while

Flat Seam Metal Roof

Post by TexasRed »

Howdy y'all

--- me again, with more questions....

Our house has a flat seam metal roof on the wrap around porch as well as the attic dormer and a bay window bump out. We suspect it is original to the house (1905) but not sure of the metal type (tin, terne, sheet metal, etc). This, like everything exterior, is suffering from deferred maintenance.

1. Is soldering the proper method for repairs? There is some minor surface rust, but no major issues. A few loose joints and a nail hole here & there. (Oh - can't forget the 8 big-honkin' screw holes where a tv satellite dish formerly sat). :evil:

2. Once repaired and cleaned, what type of product do we use to re-coat ? It currently has remnants of a silver colored finish - it looks like paint to me, but could be an aluminum roof coating product...?!? Is oil based DTM paint the easy answer?

While trying to be thoughtful in our restoration, we aren't purists. We would like to retain the original look of this roof while preserving it and the structure below.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :wave:
Attachments
IMG_2875.JPG
IMG_2875.JPG (142.72 KiB) Viewed 956 times
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

Seabornman
Settling in

Re: Flat Seam Metal Roof

Post by Seabornman »

If it's the age you say, it should be terne metal, which needs painting to protect it. It looks like you have paint and other layers of roof coatings on it. It should solder fairly well, but will have to be cleaned to bare metal. The terne coating is basically lead solder anyway. As far as paint, the recommended primer is/was linseed oil based. So touch up and then paint with a quality topcoat.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I'd clean it really well and put this.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... HlZ4-X-ARw

yes you can use DTM paint and it will look just as good when you are done and it will look nice for a while but If it were me I'd spring for the good stuff for this so you aren't doing it again anytime soon. Of course prep is key , I'd consider a good wash with soap and water to get any dirt off then a metal conditioner prior to paint. something like this :

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Metal-Prep_p_15.html

the epoxy primer will probably look after any pinholes and such and will provide a really long lasting bond to the metal so you don't have to paint it again. you could compare pricing on the Imron paint to the por 15 paint they are both really tough coatings. you get what you pay for , but also you could give it a scrub and use spray bombs of rustoleum or trem clad or something. off the shelf paint from your local box store just isn't going to last as long, but its cheaper.

hint - try a body shop or body shop supply store, they have lots of good products. talk nicely. Sometimes they will say they can only sell certain products to professionals (assuming pros have training and PPE) sometimes they dont' care. wear a good mask if you work with this stuff.

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

If you can get it cleaned up pretty well (the tarry stuff off), I'd try Sherwin Williams Silver Bright. It is a DTM made for this kind of application. It's extremely durable once applied - tho it IS very "silver bright!". As in, blindingly so. Nice on metal roofs tho as it sheds the snow better that way. Easy to apply, like any other roof paint.

If that's not what you're looking for, you could ask them about the Shercryl/Procryl system...it's a primer and topcoat, and they have many colors to choose from. Made for this kind of thing; WICKED durable tho pricier. Intended for industrial and problem roofs (hint hint). We've applied it over crusy Rustoleum and it has held up well.

Both will bond to rust as long as it's not 'powdery' (Sanding/wire brushed and cleaned off first).

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Just an idea:

If you have the opportunity to remove the roofing for reinstallation, I'd encourage that. It's always a good idea to take a look at what is underneath and assess its condition before spending time/money on the roof itself. We did a project, that required replacement of a section, and found the joists supporting the roofing were in horrible shape. We were amazed none of us had fallen through. It turned out to be a partial re-build.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

Yes, there's potential for that...is it bouncy up there? I've worked on a few where you thought you were seconds from going thru...any evidence of water damage on the underside? (must be covered, of course, but still....staining, areas where the paint's spalling but around it may be sound, warped beadboard, nails about falling out, etc....sometimes there are tell-tales.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Thanks everyone for the input. :thumbup: I am researching paint options for terne metal (this is the consensus among locals, the carpenter, painter, etc) . It needs paint badly - not sure that we want it to be "blingy" silver though :lol:

Re: Removing the metal to inspect structure? Great suggestion, but oh heavens, I don't have the skill, guts or budget to tackle that project. The sheer size of the porch and the fact that it's half round.... :shock: We will leave well enough alone. However the attic dormer is in bad shape under the metal. That roof will be removed for decking replacement before being repaired and reinstalled.

GibsonGM wrote:....is it bouncy up there? I've worked on a few where you thought you were seconds from going thru...any evidence of water damage on the underside? (must be covered, of course, but still....staining, areas where the paint's spalling but around it may be sound, warped beadboard, nails about falling out, etc....sometimes there are tell-tales.

Surprisingly the porch roof feels very stable, no bounce in the metal or structure. The underside is beadboard, of course. Although painted multiple times, I only found one questionable area near the exterior edge. (about 3"x12"). It looks like there may have been a water problem in the past that was poorly repaired. Will cut that out to replace and do some investigation while it's open. Fingers crossed it is a limited problem.

We recently removed the hideous aluminum fascia cover (happily threw it in the dump trailer) and then opted to replace all of the fascia boards. There was a fair amount of old water damage from lack of paint maintenance - explains the aluminum cover up by PO. This process gave us a decent view into the roof structure of the porch -- plenty of evidence of prior water infiltration but it does not appear to have come in through the metal roof. Removal of gutters about 15 years ago and deferred painting is our conclusion. We sistered new wood to the rafters for a good solid place to attach the new fascia.

As with many of our homes, "simple" (relative term) X,Y, Z repairs have spawned a multitude of additional projects. We must do what we must do and just hope the budget will hold.
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

phil

Post by phil »

you can get "galvanizing" in a can too , it might be a little less "blingy" and fit in. there are various makers. I found this info on "cold galvanizing" maybe worth considering ?

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 2cqH3X2wBw

phil

Post by phil »

phil wrote:you can get "galvanizing" in a can too , it might be a little less "blingy" and fit in. there are various makers. I found this info on "cold galvanizing" maybe worth considering ?

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 2cqH3X2wBw

here's the website:
http://www.rustanode.com/en/products.html