Remove pane from wood door?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Remove pane from wood door?

Post by GibsonGM »

Anyone else have a door like this? It's wood all around - no glazing. I have to change a couple of panes in one just like this, but have no clue how it comes apart! No way you'd have to remove the ENTIRE inner part of the door, right? I see no brad holes, no little 'removable strips' anywhere....really odd....doesn't seem to be a good design...

Mick_VT

Re: Remove pane from wood door?

Post by Mick_VT »

My bet is that if you strip the paint you will find puttied in brad holes over molding on one side
Mick...

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Sounds like the most rational way to have made them, Mick...the "subject door" is extremely thick with paint layers and is alligatored like no tomorrow. Lady wants me to take it home, clean it up and redo it for her...on the condition I can get the panes that are cracked out. The pic is the one from my own kitchen to the porch, and it's a very similar style. I'll test a section with the heat gun when I get the sucker home...

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

If she wants it completely rehabbed that makes it easier, as you can (as you say) set to the stripping first to see what you can find. Whenever I have fitted an internal glazed door in the past using matching moldings like this is the route I have gone. I have always thought it was the standard way to do internal doors... It's tedious cutting all the miters though!
Mick...

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Sadly, in my area, few people want things totally re-done. It annoys me, but I'd rather be working than overly proud ;) I'm just going to clean up (scrape) the moulding (hopefully get the 2 broken panes replaced!), sand a bit, and prime/paint. She initially wanted me to just paint OVER the alligatored and peeling paint...ugh!

Must be a similar situation in your area? Once in a while I do get folks with deep pockets who want to go all the way, and I appreciate it. But people get nervous about having doors/windows out for too long, and they don't want to pay $500+ for you to strip and rebuild their sashes....most don't even want you to re-bed the glass, even after you discuss WHY it's a good thing! I end up doing too much for free, but again, that's good for word of mouth and all that jazz...that's why I know I'll have to do MORE than just scrape them to get that glass out, LOL...only 2 panes tho...

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

As Mick said, most of these have removable trim pieces on one side, but they can be hard if not impossible to see with ten layers of paint caked over them. Most of the time the trim pieces were on the interior side, or at least that's been my experience.

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

A closer look shows you guys to be right - there are microscopic filled holes I can see in mine when I put a light on it. Hope they don't break on removal, ha ha...going to be slow going.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

GibsonGM wrote:Sadly, in my area, few people want things totally re-done. It annoys me, but I'd rather be working than overly proud ;) I'm just going to clean up (scrape) the moulding (hopefully get the 2 broken panes replaced!), sand a bit, and prime/paint. She initially wanted me to just paint OVER the alligatored and peeling paint...ugh!

Must be a similar situation in your area? Once in a while I do get folks with deep pockets who want to go all the way, and I appreciate it. But people get nervous about having doors/windows out for too long, and they don't want to pay $500+ for you to strip and rebuild their sashes....most don't even want you to re-bed the glass, even after you discuss WHY it's a good thing! I end up doing too much for free, but again, that's good for word of mouth and all that jazz...that's why I know I'll have to do MORE than just scrape them to get that glass out, LOL...only 2 panes tho...

Too bad there isn't an trades education program that has an internship/apprenticeship attached to it in which an apprentice could do the prep work and help with the restoration work. You benefit by the additional help (at a lower cost) so you can get some efficiency of scale (more work) and they get practical experience needed for graduation/trade ranking. It seems only political/government careers have such a thing in place.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Mainly what prevents that are: 1) the EPA and 2) OSHA

Lead paint...on everything. What a headache having to deal with that! That's primarily why I remain a sole proprietor...I do it all, by myself. Once in a while, the wife comes out to help paint, but I take care of the scraping and stuff alone. You would not believe the requirements for an employee to engage in scraping lead paint...Absolutely not worth it for a small employer.

There aren't many young'uns who want to do resto work, anyway. Can't find one even to paint a new house, let alone dealing with scraping and sanding, in a respirator, in the sun, LOL! It's a dying trade.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

if you want to find the nails without removing all the paint you might be able to use a little rare earth magnet, tape it to the end of a chopstick or something and you can use it as a metal detector ;-) a handy tool is a scrap of romex with a rare earth magnet taped to the end. to find those stray screws or when you do something foolish like drop your pliers inside a wall. you can roll it up and stick it in your toolbox. being bendy it will go where those extendable ones that look like like a radio antenna won't.
if you want to clean up metal chips stick it in a baggie, pick up the chips then when you remove the baggie it'll just turn inside out and contain them. then they cant' stick to the magnet itself. that's handy if you are using steel wool for cleaning. then having a magnet you can use it to magnetize your screwdrivers to hold those silly Philips screws ;-)

heres another handy dandy cheap tool. you stick your screwdriver through the moddle , it's magnetized. then if you drag it along the side it demagnetizes it so it doesn't keep picking up stuff when you don't want it to.
http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/materi ... 1UQAvD_BwE