How to remove clapboard mid wall?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
nhguy
Stalwart

Re: How to remove clapboard mid wall?

Post by nhguy »

This is the tool I used to remove clapboards over the last 35 years. You can find them in antique shops, it's called a Crescent Nail Puller. We had the whole house insulated via blowing cellulose last fall. I asked the guys to use my tool, the two said they were going out to buy one as they had nver seen one before. https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-56-Nail ... B00002N7SD

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

They're good for THAT, too? Never knew. I can pick one up for $18 right now at the antique place, not broken. I just might.

I've used them to pull nails when removing old dry deck boards, but hadn't considered using one for siding. I wish I'd know that BEFORE I changed out a bunch, lol...

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

I wore two out over the years. I've tried the Chinese made ones, but they are inferior to the old US made versions. $18 is a good price, but you know that. They do make an indentation in the wood, but you can flip the board over and have a clean side to reattach. I've saved tons of nice wide, hand planed boards and old sub-flooring using these too. I used it to take up two layers of attic flooring for reuse on other projects. 1650 sqft, that was a big job, a few weeks work on and off, but it gave great access for the electrician to rewire the house and me insulating the attic floor.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

nhguy wrote:This is the tool I used to remove clapboards over the last 35 years. You can find them in antique shops, it's called a Crescent Nail Puller. We had the whole house insulated via blowing cellulose last fall. I asked the guys to use my tool, the two said they were going out to buy one as they had nver seen one before. https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-56-Nail ... B00002N7SD

Very cool - I had heard of these before but never used one. Just found a vintage one in good shape and a reasonable price on ebay
Mick...

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

There are a few on CL in VT for sale at good prices but all near Burlington.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

nhguy wrote:This is the tool I used to remove clapboards over the last 35 years. You can find them in antique shops, it's called a Crescent Nail Puller. We had the whole house insulated via blowing cellulose last fall. I asked the guys to use my tool, the two said they were going out to buy one as they had nver seen one before. https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-56-Nail ... B00002N7SD

Thanks nhguy! Another awesome tool from the past that looks abundantly useful. I think this would be great for removing all of the old porch decking as well.

I'm off to eBay... :wave:
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I have one of those pullers. I like it to remove nails from casings and trim after I remove them. I use it from the backside and pull the nails right through. its easier to get a grip on the nails if they are bent so I just take pliers and bend them first. pulling the casing nails heads through the backside does less damage than pulling them out the front. If you do that they always chip out near the hole.
it works better than a hammer or a pry bar for this because as you pull the clincher tightens on the nail and since you are pulling the nail from the pointy end you dont; have the nail head to pull against. occasionally they will clip the nail so I grab it away from the board a little , then if it does clip the nail I have another chance. good to wear glasses so if it clips the nail it can't fling into your eyes.
I find it easiest if I lay the plank on the ground nails up but watch where you step of course. and a little block of wood helps so you can grip the nail a half inch or so away from the plank and still get proper leverage. this also avoids bruising the backside in case you want to flip the board.

if you bruise the board try putting a little spit on the board where it's bruised and move on.. I know that's quick and dirty. if its important you can try a steam iron to try to cause the fibers to expand and the bruise can resume its normal shape. the bruise is just where the fibers got compacted. this can be fixed for the most part usually, or at least alleviated so you dont' need to sand so deep to remove the flaw.

Phil

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

phil wrote:I have one of those pullers. I like it to remove nails from casings and trim after I remove them. I use it from the backside and pull the nails right through. its easier to get a grip on the nails if they are bent so I just take pliers and bend them first. pulling the casing nails heads through the backside does less damage than pulling them out the front. If you do that they always chip out near the hole.
it works better than a hammer or a pry bar for this because as you pull the clincher tightens on the nail and since you are pulling the nail from the pointy end you dont; have the nail head to pull against. occasionally they will clip the nail so I grab it away from the board a little , then if it does clip the nail I have another chance. good to wear glasses so if it clips the nail it can't fling into your eyes.
I find it easiest if I lay the plank on the ground nails up but watch where you step of course. and a little block of wood helps so you can grip the nail a half inch or so away from the plank and still get proper leverage. this also avoids bruising the backside in case you want to flip the board.

if you bruise the board try putting a little spit on the board where it's bruised and move on.. I know that's quick and dirty. if its important you can try a steam iron to try to cause the fibers to expand and the bruise can resume its normal shape. the bruise is just where the fibers got compacted. this can be fixed for the most part usually, or at least alleviated so you dont' need to sand so deep to remove the flaw.

Phil

I use farrier nippers to pull out those nails. The tools came with this old farm we bought and I experimented with them. You can roll the nippers on the round edge and it pops the nails right out. You do have to be careful not to cut the nail off, so easy on the pinching. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... b0d0204ae5

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

sometimes for little ones I use these..
the tool is similar.. but they are actually for closing crimps on air lines.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crimp-Type-Hose ... 1655894917

the crimps like like this
https://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/sho ... 357885.jpg

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Does anyone else pronounce clapboard KLA-bird? I grew up hearing it said that way (southern New England) but now when I pronounce it that way people look at me funny, so I relent and say it as spelled.