Tile-look wall board

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
cat2014
Knows the area

Tile-look wall board

Post by cat2014 »

I am in search of something from maybe as early as 1940's; had it in our bathroom growing up. It looks like white tile (actually cream) with the black boarder at top. It went up about 3/4 on wall. It wasn't paneling. It was medium density. Not cardboard. Not sure what to call it - hoping someone out in our District will be able to help. I'd like to duplicate that look in my bathroom without using the actual tile (trying to keep cost down). Tried googling wall board, vintage, etc. but to no avail. :| Any help - pointing in the right direction - will be much appreciated.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one......John Lennon

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Tile-look wall board

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

You might have had "faux tile", though this fad was pretty much over prior to 1940. I'm not sure when it started, but it seemed to have been at its peak in the 1925-30 era, at least in this area. Basically the plaster was scored as it was curing to make it look like tile. Almost like faux grained wood taken to the next level. Sometimes parts of it were painted different colors as the bathroom you described. Through doing some demolition work, we found that our kitchen got faux tile on its wall during a 1929 renovation, which would have been during the peak of its popularity. This was covered with wallboard during the next renovation, which took place in the second half of the 1940s.

This look can be replicated, but it would probably be easier just to tile it.

cat2014
Knows the area

Post by cat2014 »

No that's not it. This was actual wall board of some sort. Was not etched into wall. It was flat, with the look of the square tiles and the black boarder top. Our house was old (built in late 1800's), with the claw foot tub, wall mounted sink and this wall board of some sort......

just found this site...scroll down to the black/white kitchen walls...this is what I'm talking about....

http://retrorenovation.com/2013/07/30/k ... ion-house/

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

It's 4&8 sheets of mdf or Masonite with tile lines embossed and painted to look like tiles, right? We had it in the kitchen behind the range and the basement hallway when I was a kid. I think you can get it at the big box home stores.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

BeausTile is one manufacturer. But if you want any color besides brown or gray, you'll have to go vintage.

cat2014
Knows the area

Post by cat2014 »

Thanks everyone - I think I found what it's called - Armstrong Quaker Wall Coverings. Now to find out what comes in comparable to that. What I've seen at the big box stores is complete crap. Doubtful that any salvage places would have any. Suggestions? Comments?? That's the look I REALLY want - don't want to spend $$$ on tile if I don't have to. UNLESS I could find the vintage plastic tiles..... :think:

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

Two brand names were Abitibi board and Marlite.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

cat2014 wrote:Thanks everyone - I think I found what it's called - Armstrong Quaker Wall Coverings. Now to find out what comes in comparable to that. What I've seen at the big box stores is complete crap. Doubtful that any salvage places would have any. Suggestions? Comments?? That's the look I REALLY want - don't want to spend $$$ on tile if I don't have to. UNLESS I could find the vintage plastic tiles..... :think:

In our downstairs bath, we have both scored plaster that looks like tiles under newer fiberboard, and very recent molded plastic sheeting that was used as a tub surround (and looks very cheap).

If you can't find a current source for the vintage plastic tiles on RR's site, that'd be a hunt and a half then. I thought she had one listed, but maybe it's one of the places that closed since that post. I'll keep an eye out and shout back if I find anything. I just checked there, and I don't see one listed yet either. I did notice one post that lists three companies that used to make them: Church, Pittsburgh and Coronet Tile Companies. If you didn't find that post yet, those names might help you in your internet searches too.

Every once in a while on CL, I'll see someone who found a few/box of tiles in the basement/attic and wants to get rid of them. We almost snagged a nice batch of freebies, but were an hour late in the calling. If you have a local tile place, ask if they know any places that specialize in tile salvage too. Sometimes, even if they look at you in that "oh, you crazy old house folks" way, they'll still tell you some sources.

Good luck!
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

You might have an easier time finding deadstock or discontinued 4x4 ceramic tiles at an inexpensive price v.s. vintage wallboard. The vintage pearlescent plastic tiles seem few and very far between, particularly in a useable quantity. My local tile store has a small inventory of 1970's plastic 4 x 4 tiles - but they are sort of faux stone-ish in earth tones and are nothing like the great 1950's ones in pink, lilac, coral, etc.

There is a large tile place in Toronto, that has a clearance outlet. They had a huge quantity of mint green and pale yellow 4 x4 ceramic tiles, so these were very heavily discounted. The catch is that the black bullnose tile for trim is NEVER discounted anywhere so that may cost as much as the tile for three walls at four feet high.

It's always worth inquiring at the geezer tile/paint/hardware store that has been there forever, because there might be inventory in the basement, or they know who has some. Ebay and Etsy is your best bet, but check CL and the local vicinity. Sometimes a person gets lucky...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

its just straight lines. how about just buy a piece of high density fiberboard or MDF and then all you need to do is clamp a strip of wood to use as a guide , then set your router depth, find a bit with whatever profile you want and then its as easy as running the router against the strip of wood and moving it over and repeating. That way you can make all you want and it won't be too expensive.
I'd paint it all the base color then paint the "grout lines" after.

my house had some beaverboard from some 1930's reno. it didn't have any surface pattern, it was just cheap crap. If you think about it you can see why cheap materials like this may have been popular in the dirty 30's and on into the post war era. Economics!

because of fire risks I'd also put drywall or plaster behind it. putting paneling and junk straight on the studs might be a bit much. a lot of old houses dont' even have fire stops. if the wall could ever become a division between suites than I'd look at using fireproof 5/8ths drywall and then your decorative panel on top. when you install the switch boxes take the thickness of your materials into account or you'll be trying to move the boxes to make them flush. putting panels in and then just using long screws on the switch covers is mickey mouse. you can get box extenders , they might work. the other way is to cut a beveled cutout around where the plug AND switchplate will go, not just the box and that way the switch plate can all sit flush against the original wall.

some boxes can be screwed to studs from within the box itself so they can be adjusted by taking the screws out without opening the wall. Lots of boxes are held to the studs from nails and things that you cant' access from within the box. You don't want to find out after installation of your new panel that in order to move the box back so it's flush so it meets code then you'll have to open the wall. If you do need to move the box and do some damage your panel will hide the drywall or plaster repairs so you wouldn't need to get too fussy with the finish. anyway that's a lot to think about but just think about how you will get the boxes flush with the new panel and have a plan for how you deal with that. If you have baseboards youll have to put spacers behind those too or youll bury them with the panel and they will look like they were caught in by poor planning. you might pull the baseboards and add 1/4" strips behind them and then do the panels on top, or just run the panels down to the floor and replace the baseboards right on top.
another fussy detail is you might want the lines spaced so the electrical outlets fit between the "grout lines". Not a big deal but it might help make it look more professional. in a bathroom there may only be one outlet and it should be a ground fault one. if not you can install a ground fault outlet. ( razor plug)
Last edited by phil on Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.