Aesthetic opinion wanted re. storm windows

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Aesthetic opinion wanted re. storm windows

Post by GibsonGM »

What's a portmanteau? What's "beamish"? :) Oh, no - you get to mix it up yourself! Some use a different ratio, but 1 to 1 is considered 'safe'. If you use too much oil / not enough turps (turpentine), you could get a situation where the oil doesn't 'cure' very fast...which can cause grief if you topcoat it too soon. I really like it on shovel and wheelbarrow handles, but recently found that it has some magical properties when used on very dry old siding.

No modernizing here, LOL!

You're welcome, Bonnie...

~Mike

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I made up the term blopentine years ago...blo--for boiled linseed oil and pentine for tur'pentine'....I gotta smile when I see others using the term...we are creatures of habit when it comes to giving nicknames to words--or nickies as some would say!!

...jade

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Sorry, Mike, I was quoting Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky. He combined words in that poem to make new ones and called them portmanteaus, because they were like a suitcase in which you packed a lot of things. Beamish is a combination of maybe beaming and something -ish? Not sure. Anyway, that was me showing off my eddication.

Thanks for the information. I've got some dried out wood on the exterior on a couple of windows. I'm not sure if it's damaged or just dry.

Jade, very clever! I love good words.
Bonnie

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

heartwood wrote:I made up the term blopentine years ago...blo--for boiled linseed oil and pentine for tur'pentine'....I gotta smile when I see others using the term...we are creatures of habit when it comes to giving nicknames to words--or nickies as some would say!!

...jade

You know, I DID think maybe it was you, Jade! If you search around you find the term, and you, in a few different places, but nobody else (only ppl like us "asking"). Even on old forums, there you are, lol.

When I remove glazing/scrape sashes, that's "mucking out"...

I'd show off my education, but I doubt you want to talk about impedances, filter cutoff frequencies or diode Vf characteristics, ha ha! (electronics). That is why I now paint houses for a living; much less complex :D

If you posted a pic of the areas of the windows you're concerned about, I'm sure you can get an opinion on best course of action!

awomanwithahammer

Oh, good! I didn't know what to call the process of removing glass and putty. I like it.

Well, my major was English literature, which explains my love of words. It doesn't really translate to renovating houses, but my art minor actually does, I think! My son-in-law has a degree in mechanical engineering, which he hated, and he's a chef now. I dunno, I think I'd rather be an engineer than cook!

I'll see if I can get a picture of the window today.
Bonnie

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Love to see it (the window). The formal term for removing glazing, scraping, sanding and all of the prep required would really be "stripping", but for most all I encounter, 'mucking' is much more apropos!

Ah, the sweet, sweet smell of blop on a day off - that's what it's all about! Rehabbing one of my wooden storms today.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

awomanwithahammer wrote:Sorry, Mike, I was quoting Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky. He combined words in that poem to make new ones and called them portmanteaus, because they were like a suitcase in which you packed a lot of things. Beamish is a combination of maybe beaming and something -ish? Not sure. Anyway, that was me showing off my eddication.

Thanks for the information. I've got some dried out wood on the exterior on a couple of windows. I'm not sure if it's damaged or just dry.

Jade, very clever! I love good words.

Funny. As a teen, I played Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D) and there was a creature, in one adventure, called the Jabberwocky that could only be permanently killed (won't reanimate) by one particular magic sword named, "Snicker-Snack". To this day I only recall that "snicker-snack" part of the poem.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

awomanwithahammer

Olson185 wrote:Funny. As a teen, I played Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D) and there was a creature, in one adventure, called the Jabberwocky that could only be permanently killed (won't reanimate) by one particular magic sword named, "Snicker-Snack". To this day I only recall that "snicker-snack" part of the poem.

"...He took his vorpal sword in hand
Long time the manxsome foe he sought.
So rested he by the Tum-Tum tree
And stood a while in thought.

And as he stood in uffish thought,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood
And burbled as it came.

One, two, one, two, and through and through
The vorpal sword went snicker-snack.
He left it dead, and with its head,
He went galumphing back..."
:violence-swords:

This is just a bit of the poem, but it's the only poem I can still remember in its entirety.
Bonnie

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

this thread is too funnny ;-)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

looking at the pic. Im not sure Im clear about the fit issue but the storm looks like it's about 2 inches too tall.

I'd remove two of the glass panes. cut and refit the frame to size, trim the glass and reassemble.

depending what tools you have you might have to fit a mortice and tennon and you can make that with a finishing saw and a bit of fitting with a chisel.

once it's more flush I'd replace the missing outer casings. make the top one a little thicker, about 1" or 1.25"
this is so if there is a little roundover along the bottom edge of the top casing it doesn't cause an indent where it meets the side casings and then water wont attack the ends of the side casings since they little are sort of sheltered. then you could remove the little flashing above.

if mortice and tennons are too difficult I guess you could use a lap joint and a couple of dowels but the mortice and tennon is stronger. - at least you have extra wood to play with.

I dont'; think you;d really notice the size difference too much in the panes. That would be something I'd just live with.

If you clamp the storm to a solid bench you can work on fitting the mortice and tennon without removing the other two panes. or if that made you nervous you could remove them but i'd take the risk and at worst its a new piece of glass should you break it.

the mortices it has might be made with special cutters that also cut the ogee but I'd just change that to a simple mortice and tennon to simplify things and shorten the mullion and it's a little hand work to make it fit, but nothing incredibly complex.

the issue is that the storm doesn't fit, so I'd shorten it. you could cut a little off the bottom and that might be quicker , see how much "meat" you have to work with.

you might be able to add casings to what is there since the existing casings are buried by the siding. something looks funny with the difference between the amount the existing casings protrude. maybe they thickened the siding. ( added insulation behind? ) I think you could leave what's there and just make your casings a tad wider and cover the corner of the siding, that will protect the end grain of the siding. i think the casings should overlap the siding but the casings you have are good as spacers basicly.

because (I think) someone has played with the siding thickness the sills are also a little short as a result. I'd leave that be and if it looks finny install casings that are a tad shallow to compensate. See how much it needs to come out to shelter the edges of the storm.
i know that once your storm fits it will go back further than it is in the pic but Im thinking it still might protrude a little and you wan the casings to shelter the edges of it.
that's the way I am seeing it anyway.. Maybe I'm off , see what the window pro's say.

I have a window like that that someone added and as a result the casings that are flush with my siding and finally it dawned on me that all I need to do is double up the casings, whats there can be a shim basically. loosing this protrusion affects the look and also affects how the casings shelter the window. someone may have added that little trim piece on top of the casing to compensate or maybe it is original I think some houses have that and some don't so I'm wondering if they added that as a workaround since things got sort of buried.

maybe it had shingles and someone put cedar siding on top or the siding was just thicker than the shingles were?

on newer houses the casings dont' protrude so much but it's part of the style. You could compare to some other original houses and take a closer look at how much the sill should protrude and how much the casings protrude and use it as a comparison. as houses get reno'd I think it seems "normal" to those working on new houses. To them it doesn't look funny when it all gets buried because that's what they are used to seeing but it affects the visual proportions.
Phil
Last edited by phil on Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.