Aesthetic opinion wanted re. storm windows

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Aesthetic opinion wanted re. storm windows

Post by GibsonGM »

Wow, Phil, that's pretty comprehensive! A good way to go about it, definitely, but out of my pay grade (well, not really, but out of my TIME grade). Too many other things to attend to.

I'll keep it in mind; putting the 'spacer strips' on the storms now to just make them sit properly, then down the road, you never know...Have chimney flashing to do, one house side needs some love to keep the original siding, removing AC tile from porch/dormer and replacing w/siding, re-doing the back addition, board/batten my shop and install the wood stove...getting the wood ready for the coming winter....lots going on!! :)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

maybe just takign an inch off the bottom of the storm is all you really need for now? how strong does it need to be? maybe a little stronger if you have it tipping out and moving. certainly easier than playing with the joinery.

see what you think about the casings and how they protrude. to me it just makes the house look newer when they do that but i think it's really common amongst houses that have seen some "mods".

Im half way through sanding my floors, Now I get a week off and I have one car that won't start, no spark. so I put my older car back on the road,, I think needs a rear main oil seal so I'd have to pull the transmission plus the muffler fell off and the brakes thump, need to turn the rotors.. but of course I ordered parts to do the muffler and brakes before I noticed it leaks ol like a seive.. yesterday I thought the alternator was seizing because something was getting "chirpy" and the belt and pully seemed hot.. so I took that apart so I could spin it and broike the tensioner and fixed it again and it turned fine ;)

Luckily I have a van that's working so Im not stuck... I have to get them all lined up and working again, thats my insurance plan lol ;-) oh but the floors.. I get you ;-) Its nice to have a week off for summer "holidays" lol...

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

The simplest way is what I did...add a strip to the storm. Maybe one day I'll find some that fit right - that would be the best way! This'll do for now, you won't really see it anyway. I just want them to close plumb and not tip in....

Oh, car got you too? Had a head gasket done in our '08 Subaru Outback in Nov...decent mechanic, had been around for like 8 yrs. Then he went out of business (divorce). Today I found out the 'bad plug' and misfire we'd been having is....blown head gasket. No recourse to get our "12 month, 12,000 mile warranty" honored.

Guess I'll be trying to find the $$$$ for a decent replacement...too many things all at once on this, and barely 100,000 miles...but my 98 Suburban paint mobile is going strong, LOL ;)