Ok to use stain and danish oil together?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Al F. Furnituremaker
Stalwart

Re: Ok to use stain and danish oil together?

Post by Al F. Furnituremaker »

Phil, I work with dark stains all the time and do spot treatments. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For nail holes that have darkened due to water, I put a bubble of bleach in the center, let it sit and dry to see how it will work. If it starts to get rid of the stain, put some more on. Drop by drop you will work the stain out. Just keep the drops in the center of the stain and let them migrate to the edges.
Sanding will be needed after.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Ok to use stain and danish oil together?

Post by phil »

I was thinking that maybe if I wet the floor near where the stains are and then put wood bleach on the stains, then maybe it would help it not leave a hard line between where the bleach was applied and where it wasn't. it's about how the surface tension and spread of the bleach and how it stops near the edges.
I only sanded to about 60 or so. I'm planning to rent the big vibrating pad sander after the touch-ups and putty are done. I'm keeping the putty localized to just where it is needed with masking and the sander will level anything left out.
It would be faster just to put a dab of putty on each indent but I have seen where even though the putty is sanded flat , the remnants still can show near the repair. It's fussy work. most of the nail holes also have a dark ring right near the hole so in some cases I just dig out the darkened wood a little or it will show as a dark circle surrounding the putty.