Blopentine dry time?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Blopentine dry time?

Post by GibsonGM »

Hi guys n gals,

Having been immersed in the world of Sherwin Williams and Ben Moore for 15 yrs., I never did get to use blop much...only on tool handles etc. So in the interest of learning 'the old ways' a bit more, I've begun prepping with it. Got a lot of my 'bad' house side scraped and sanded today, and applied 50/50 BLO/turp mix. Sit a few minutes, wiped off the excess.

The (sort of embarrassing) question is - how long do you let it cure til you apply your slow oil primer? It looks pretty well absorbed 4 hrs. later, but something in the back of my mind says go 24 hrs, then let the oil prime sit 3 days before topcoating. Thoughts?

Great stuff - it really livened up my dry siding! Got all the caulk cleaned out first - this should really help my final caulking stay in there!!

Gothichome

Re: Blopentine dry time?

Post by Gothichome »

Gibson, I mix mine a bit thinner. Maybe 40% linseed. Coat as much as the wood will take. Generally prime or paint next day. I found a 50/50 mix stayed a bit sticky longer than I would like. Not sure if the thinner mix soaks in deeper, but it seems to be working for me.

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Good deal, Gothic, kind of what I expected - thanks. Too late, 50/50 already applied ;) It's warm out tho, and the wood was VERY dry...it's already well-absorbed, no stickiness at all.

There is a certain aromatic freshness in my front room that the Mrs. is informing me about this fine evening, however ;) Time to break out a fan. Guess that means it didn't all flash off and disappear!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

every body is different (thank goodness!) I use a 50/50 blend...apply liberally (like me) and wait at least 24 hours in a warm dry shop setting...if it's warm and dry outdoors (air circulation) you will be fine applying oil primer over it the next day...I used to use a penetrating primer (BM) but now use BM 024 which is 'regular' oil--not slow and not fast dry...you don't really need a penetrating or slow dry since you've got the blop...that said, it won't hurt anything if you use slow--just may need to wait an extra day or two...i'm sure you'll find something to fill your time!

good luck!
...jade

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Thanks Jade! We should have that facebook "thumbs up" button, ha ha.

Plenty to fill the time, the other gable end has no siding yet!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I used a long oil over a heavy blop once... took almost a week to dry!
Mick...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

if it is sticky use more turpentine or you can go over it with just turpentine to try to drive it in. you said it isnt' sticky so I'd say you are good to go if you are using oil paint. whatever you do don't let the hot sun on your new paint. you can tarp if necessary to block the sun but if it gets too hot, it'll bubble. if it skins over and it is trying to let the gasses out to quickly they have no where to go so they push on the paint. It's an "aquired smell" ;-)