Interior Mortise Bedroom Locksets

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Mastercarpentry
Just Arrived

Interior Mortise Bedroom Locksets

Post by Mastercarpentry »

I'm looking for sources of replacement bedroom locks for the old hotel I'm rehabbing. I've found expensive ones which the owner can't afford given the large number of doors involved but we don't want to be stuck with using modern hardware or with using the cheap replacement rim locks which would be period-acceptable but less original, and those don't hold up well enough. These would need to be key-lockable and I can source the keys, knobs, and escutcheon plates but finding affordable locksets is not proving as easy to do.

I'm sure I can restore some of the existing locks but we will need more as some are missing and in my experience some will have broken parts or too much wear to be viable. Whatever gets used will have to be used throughout which makes this a critical point in my job, and my usual 'scrounging sources' are insufficient for the dozen or more locks I'll need. All help with potential sources will be much appreciated, affordable or not.

Thanks in advance!
Phil

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Interior Mortise Bedroom Locksets

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

If they are regular bit key (aka "skeleton key") mortise locks, your best bet would be an architectural salvage company. Most of them have dozens if not more of these laying around at any given time and the price is usually only a few bucks each unless there is something special about them such as ornate trim. If there are none in your area, talk to some contractors in your area that do building demolition and renovation work. Tell them what you need and that you will buy any of them that they remove on a job. Unfortunately this happens frequently, as remuddling is still very popular for some reason.

Old cylinder locksets can be found at the same sources, but I've noticed they can be hit or miss on availability.

Ebay is another option, but expect to pay more and shipping them wouldn't be cheap.

Good luck!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

architectural salvage or ebay are your best bet for originals but reproductions are being made (may be better for commercial use to go with well restored originals). New old stock turn up from time to time on ebay too

http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/door-latch
Mick...

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

Occasionally you can find large lots of mortise locksets on ebay. Get them to give you the exact size of the faceplate, and the centers so they fit the existing holes.
ps, there was a guy on TOH site named mastercarpentry, is that you? If so (or even if not) welcome.
Casey (Sombreuil_Mongrel on TOH)
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Mastercarpentry
Just Arrived

Post by Mastercarpentry »

Yes Casey, it's me. I followed you here when you weren't looking and I'm glad I did.

And thanks to all for your answers. It seems like Ebay will be my best option so I'll start looking there. Luckily I'm thinking ahead and will have time to do this with- we're still restoring the exterior and there's still some structural work to do in and under the old place before the doors get their time in the sun. I haven't looked them over closely yet but just a guess is that half don't work.

Only the finest homes here had mortise locks inside, all the rest had rim-locks, and that makes the interior mortise type darn near impossible to find locally. I could likely scrounge a few- just not a couple dozen. And my biggest problem is that the owner isn't prepared to spend a whole lot for these. I think I can stretch him to maybe $25 each but that's about it. After that he will go cheap and install modern- UGH! With knobs needed too this is going to take some doing on my part and he's got nobody else who knows diddly about old houses to turn to. I'm trying to save all the history I can while he's got to keep his costs viable and this is already causing problems between us.

In the end there will be some history left in the old hotel, just not as much as I'd wanted to see.

Phil

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

[Update: None Avail. But the ReStore has dozens of decorative aquarium rock sculptures for $5].

Our local ReStore usually has a box or two of them (just the lock). All my reclaimed doors came with the lock, faceplate, and handles so I've been ignoring the supply of locks. I'll take a look, see how much they cost and report back.

BTW, my doors were just $1 per inch in width (incl. hinges, mortise locks, etc.)....happy camper..er..paint stripper.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.