Window question--Jade and Sashguy?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Window question--Jade and Sashguy?

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Jade, I puttied the first two panes with the Sarco today:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_qHM ... lo2Ukg4Nmc

I see why you put the putty on and then leave it for a while. I guess it dries out enough to smooth better. I think I'm putting too much on to begin with because I seem to have to take a lot off when I go to smooth it out.

What do you do with your corners? I have a hard time getting those smooth without gouging the sides that I just spent so long trying to get right. :angry-banghead:

All in all, I think it's not horrible. It took me about an hour to do two panes, but hopefully I'll get faster!

Bonnie
Bonnie

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

learning to glaze through text might be like learning to dance through text so some videos probably help. I watched a few. some are pros and some shouldn't make videos but you can take away the ideas you like. usually if it is some kid whith boom box music cranked then I just hit skip.. you can get some good info this way, just taking in the ideas you want to. I noticed a couple of different techniques and some may like to do it a bit different than others even with lots of experience.

Maybe Jade could comment if the glass should be set into putty. ( back beaded) I would think that would be a better seal? its annoying when they rattle. maybe it's optional to roll out a tiny bead and lay that in and then the glass? I had a pro replace a window in my door and it rattles. Every time I close it I thing gee the guy was a pro, he should have been able to make it not rattle. stuff like that makes me want to do stuff myself.

In lots of the videos they put excess putty in and then on the first stroke they sort of separate the excess and pull it off just by running the knife over the whole bead at about a 45'. It isn't wasted, you can use that next.

in this one he sort of starts at the corner knowing it's easier to get that looking right first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9TYFJA-ByQ

When I was at the glass shop he said to knead in a bit more linseed oil and work it a little. depends how fresh it is or if it's been sitting. he also used a bottle with water and weak soap and did a little spray over when he smoothed it out and that reduced the friction. the soapy water just helped reduce the tendency for the putty to stick to the knife. Of course you dont' want water in between stuff, he just spritzed it a little before the final bead was dressed to shape with the knife.

I guess what Jade is saying , letting it sit, it doesn't dry in that time but it kind of firms up from setting a little, making the tooling easier.. Makes sense. It firms when it rests. this isn't about loosing moisture, other things like Plasticine work that way too. If you grab it and work it it softens up, when it sits it hardens.. I better not make the obvious joke here.. :-)

Its probably good to use a bit of blopentine to prep the frame but no paint where the putty goes. leave it dry a while before you paint the bead. allow the paint to just slightly cover very edge of the glass so it helps seal the water but you don't want to see a sloppy mess of paint of course. At first I was scraping the paint up to the putty with a razor blade thinking I was making it "neat" and then I realized that probably isn't the best way, better to have 1/16th or 1/32" of the glass painted so water can't creep under.

the above video made the point to flip it over and have a look to see how it looks from the other side. if the putty shows too much you could adjust your angle a tiny bit I guess. Makes sense to check while it's all wet in case you want to change it.

Maybe Jade can chime in with more info and technique but I dont' think you are too far off and it does take some practice so if you spend an hour or two learning before you accomplish much , that's pretty normal.

awomanwithahammer

Watching the "pros" do stuff is EXACTLY why I do stuff myself. I have hired out taping and mudding drywall, and then ended up having to go behind them and do it over to my standards. You can't even get someone that will do a Level 5 finish. You're lucky to get to Level 3, and it still costs a fortune. Yes, they're fast, but I'd rather have good. I'm slow as Christmas, but dang it, I'm good!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_qHM ... FBsbVU5VW8

Everyone has recommended a setting bead, so I've done that. I was never any good at sculpture or Play-doh, so rolling out the putty is a challenge! I have to use tiny little pieces, and even then, it stretches out in places and lumps up in others. And how do you get this stuff off your hands!?

What joke? :wink:
Bonnie
Bonnie

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

This is my favorite video on the subject. It is a 1970/80s Australian training film for glaziers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xewRBdFbCI8

Watch how he puts the bedding putty in, you don't need to roll out sausages!

the putty he is working with is very close to Sarco, much easier to work with than the DAP crap
Mick...

awomanwithahammer

Wow, nice hair! Truth be told, what I was actually doing was closer to that than to rolling out sausages. I ended up just kind of clumping it on there. But, man, he's fast!
Bonnie

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

awomanwithahammer wrote:Wow, nice hair! Truth be told, what I was actually doing was closer to that than to rolling out sausages. I ended up just kind of clumping it on there. But, man, he's fast!

Faster than me for sure, but I might be a bit closer to his speed than yours ;)
Mick...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I enjoyed watching that video...my method is much different though...and I am faster than he is but I am not ambidextrous!

I glaze with the sash on a bench--on the flat--not on an easel...i bed the sash then place the glass...I use an orbital sander (without sandpaper!) to set the glass--look ma, no bloody fingers! if you don't have a sander, spread your fingers out and place the tips on the glass with a downward and slight side to side motion and watch the putty ooze out...I shoot in the points, flip the sash over and clean the interior, flip it over again and then set the points...this way I can make sure I can see the sight line and set the points sufficiently...

I notice the guy presses the putty up the rabbets, never seen anyone do that...I place the putty with a downward motion...the corners can be a bugger for a good while until you get the hang of it...the thing is, there are a number of different ways to putty and you've got to find what is most comfortable for you...

jade

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

this guy is like the Bob Ross of window glazing ;-)

awomanwithahammer

Exactly my thought!
Bonnie

awomanwithahammer

Think I'm getting the hang of it! Today went much better and I finished one sash. It looks pretty good, and I did 3 panes in about 45 minutes instead of an hour for 2. The video was very helpful, so I didn't worry so much about how I got the putty on there, just slapped it on, waited a while, and then went back and worked it.

One mishap the other day--I knocked over my can of linseed oil and of course it went everywhere! Fortunately, I haven't refinished my floors yet, though, because it was some mess. I managed to grab it before it all spilled. The good thing about working by yourself is that there isn't anyone to witness your screwups!
Bonnie