Window question--Jade and Sashguy?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Window question--Jade and Sashguy?

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I got one sash cleaned up and ready to reglaze. Glass went back in nicely, but I'm struggling with the putty. It doesn't want to stay where I put it, and when I try to smooth it, it just drags out. What's the best way to smooth it? A wet finger? Or a wet putty knife? Something else? I got one pane done, and it's probably smooth enough, but smooth enough doesn't do it for me. I'm not completely happy with it.

I'd appreciate any tips! :text-thankyouyellow:
Bonnie

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Re: Window question--Jade and Sashguy?

Post by Casey »

Make sure your putty knife is polished smooth. A lot of new ones have a lacquer on the metal. An old rusty blade will also drag.
my PROTIPS: warm the putty. In cool weather I use my heat gun. If need be, mix in a very small amount of oil or paint thinner. Thinner will evaporate quickly. The oil can be boiled linseed oil.It does not take a lot.
Roll a portion of putty in your hands and keep folding the "sausage" back on itself (and keep rolling) until the consistency is even.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Make sure the area where the putty is to be set is dust free, to help it stick to the wood.

A small amount of paint thinner or linseed oil wiped onto the blade of the putty knife can help to lessen the drag and give a smoother finish, too.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

awomanwithahammer wrote:I got one sash cleaned up and ready to reglaze. Glass went back in nicely, but I'm struggling with the putty. It doesn't want to stay where I put it, and when I try to smooth it, it just drags out. What's the best way to smooth it? A wet finger? Or a wet putty knife? Something else? I got one pane done, and it's probably smooth enough, but smooth enough doesn't do it for me. I'm not completely happy with it.

I'd appreciate any tips! :text-thankyouyellow:

What brand of putty are you using - if it's that DAP stuff, throw it out and get some linseed oil based stuff such as Sarco type M http://srshardware.com/shop/sarco-multi ... e-m-putty/

I like the above suggestions, I'm not sure I would do them with DAP 33 though
Mick...

awomanwithahammer

Yeah, I'm sure it's DAP, Mick. Can you buy boiled linseed oil at the big box stores, or would you have to get it at a hardware store? Casey, how do you make sure the knife is polished smooth? It looks like it is; I haven't seen anything flaking off it. Willa, it makes sense to use oil to smooth the putty. Thank you all for the suggestions!

One more question--well, for now, anyway. Is it worth trying to save the old glass, or should I just break it out and start over with new? It's just plain glass, not wavy or anything. I'm killing myself trying to get it out intact because although the putty is falling out in places, in other places it's stuck tight.
Bonnie

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Well, if you break the glass you'll have to pay to have another piece cut to size to replace it, which seems sort of pointless ?

I have seen boiled linseed oil at my hardware store.

Jade and others will have some advice about how to soften up the putty to make it easier to remove.

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Just flatten out the angle of your putty knife. This will increase the downward pressure on the putty and insure a good seat

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I soften old glazing putty with a heat gun, you need to protect the glass from the heat with an old baking tray or similar. Professionals often build a steam cabinet. As you have so many to do this may be worth considering. There are details on how to do it in the library section here on the site
Mick...

awomanwithahammer

I know it doesn't make sense to buy new glass, but I'm spending way too much time working at getting the putty out, only to break the glass at the last minute! Just seems easier to skip a step and break it at the front end, right? :wink:

I have a glass protector attachment for my heat gun, but it won't let the heat gun get close enough to heat the putty sufficiently, so I'll give the cookie tray a shot.
Bonnie

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

just now saw this post....
here's how I tool the putty: my knife is clean but not polished (there's no lacquer or residue on it...I have a folded piece of paper towel that is saturated in turpentine (you can use thinner)...I wipe my knife every once in a while to make sure it's clean (but not dripping wet)...after setting the glass in a putty bedding, I apply the putty on top of the glass and quickly spread it out...I set the sash aside and putty another sash...allowing the putty to sit about 30 minutes or more seems to let it settle in and I find it easier to tool...I have a 3/4" knife that is bent at about 30 degrees...indeed, the angle and the pressure need to be just right to get the putty to set well....it takes practice...so does removing the glass...use a sharp chisel and a utility razor blade....yup, it seems the glass breaks when you just about have it out...patience, patience, patience!

if you are interested in trying the sarco type m putty that many professionals use, send me a PM with your address and I will mail out a pint at no cost...after that, here are the names of two suppliers:
http://winnmountainrestorations.com/
http://srshardware.com/shop/sarco-multi ... e-m-putty/

...jade