Quality Reproduction Medallion Suggestions/Sources

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
OurPhillyRow
Settling in

Quality Reproduction Medallion Suggestions/Sources

Post by OurPhillyRow »

Thanks for the warm reception everyone. So happy to find an active community of old house lovers.

I will be having some electrical work done on our new/old house and one of the things I plan to add is a box in the parlor (living room) ceiling so I can add a medallion. After getting the keys to the house I quickly discovered that there was a medallion in the room in the past (evidence in photo). I am guessing it was for a gas chandelier and when they removed the gas fixtures, they also removed the medallion.

I would prefer a true plaster medallion, but could be convinced of a poly one if it is the right one. The room is about 12'x21' and I am sure the original medallion would have been elongated in shape. The house is from early 1850's and the casings are fairly simple ( I am guessing Greek Revival?). My armchair knowledge of historical interiors tells me that if there was originally a medallion, it would have been somewhat simple in design, but it the medallion was added later in the 19th century (perhaps when they installed the gas pipes) it may have been rather ornate.

I am partial to this one.

Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas for sources?
Devyn - Old House Lover
1852 Brick Rowhouse - Philadelphia

Sweetpeastacy
Just Arrived

Re: Quality Reproduction Medallion Suggestions/Sources

Post by Sweetpeastacy »

That is pretty. Have you searched ebay for original pieces? I have been searching, too, as I just bought a chandelier from 1920 from there and wanted a medallion to go underneath. The chandelier is in the mail, so I'll have to see if I still need the medallion, although they are so pretty.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

This is the seller I got my medallion from:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/drak_gilli/m.ht ... pg=&_from=

Also District member Corsetière has been known to make a reproduction of her medallions in the past
Mick...

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Yep! I have this one available:

How it can look painted:

And I do have another design I still need to cast...

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

OurPhillyRow, I think the one you favor looks very nice. I wonder if there is any chance the mounting bolts would still be up there. I don't even know how one could find such without making a mess of the ceiling. Anyone have tips on finding that sort of thing?

I noticed just today in our bedroom that there are other holes in the ceiling outside of the rim of the base for the current fixture there, but haven't had time yet to grab a ladder and see if they are holes or cut off bolts.

Wow, Mick, the delicate snowflake one listed on his page right now is amazing, but I'd worry like the dickens about bits breaking off.

Corsetière, I still love that one. It makes me want to find an excuse to have one somewhere.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Lily left the valley wrote:Wow, Mick, the delicate snowflake one listed on his page right now is amazing, but I'd worry like the dickens about bits breaking off.

It is mess delicate than it looks, Lily. I had a small piece broken on mine when it arrived - easily fixed - I glued it back on with sheetrock mud! :D Once it up on the ceiling it is out of harms way so so unless you dust with a shovel... :lol:
Mick...

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

OurPhillyRow wrote:Thanks for the warm reception everyone. So happy to find an active community of old house lovers.

I will be having some electrical work done on our new/old house and one of the things I plan to add is a box in the parlor (living room) ceiling so I can add a medallion. After getting the keys to the house I quickly discovered that there was a medallion in the room in the past (evidence in photo). I am guessing it was for a gas chandelier and when they removed the gas fixtures, they also removed the medallion.

I would prefer a true plaster medallion, but could be convinced of a poly one if it is the right one. The room is about 12'x21' and I am sure the original medallion would have been elongated in shape. The house is from early 1850's and the casings are fairly simple ( I am guessing Greek Revival?). My armchair knowledge of historical interiors tells me that if there was originally a medallion, it would have been somewhat simple in design, but it the medallion was added later in the 19th century (perhaps when they installed the gas pipes) it may have been rather ornate.

I am partial to this one.

Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas for sources?

When I was younger (and because I was of slight(er) build), it was usually my job, on restoration projects, to perch upon scaffolding and sand successive layers of ceiling paint to deduce the colours and designs hidden therein.

There are shortcuts, such as using a scalpel to remove a large enough cross-section sliver for chemical testing, chromatography, and microscopic photographs of the layers. But sanding can work if one has patience (and a tireless arm); one just has to be aware that colours and shades change over time so don't take what one finds at face value; it's usually darker than what one finds (except yellows are always richer and brighter).

Given this is a small room, you might want to give it a try after learning more about it. On one small project, a local restorationist teamed up with the local community college and paint store to have the project be a fieldwork classroom and the homeowner got a very low cost ceiling restoration. The caveat is that one has to verify there's already something there (ie. old photographs). A 3" wide x 6-8" long diagonal from a corner, to the center of the ceiling, will almost always reveal whether or not there's a design up there.

BTW, given the date of the home, there probably is a gasline still in the ceiling. A metal detector can distinguish between nails/screws and a pipe of any metal. Sometimes (not often) a very strong magnet can reveal iron pipe in a wall (by its gentle tug).

The roughness in your ceiling patch makes me suspect there might be other issues (ie. de-keying or lack of lathe) to fix before applying a medallion.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Lily left the valley wrote:
Corsetière, I still love that one. It makes me want to find an excuse to have one somewhere.

:lol:

I think I am putting in two of them in the downstairs bathroom! :D

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Corsetière wrote:
Lily left the valley wrote:

:lol:

I think I am putting in two of them in the downstairs bathroom! :D

What size are those, anyhoo? :whistle:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Lily left the valley wrote:What size are those, anyhoo? :whistle:

16" total diameter
4" diameter opening for the canopy of a light fixture. :)