Antique Cabinet Installation Questions

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Olson185
Been here a good while

Re: Antique Cabinet Installation Questions

Post by Olson185 »

I recall reusing a piece that had to be cut as your cabinets were.
There were four issues to address to keep the piece desirably unpainted:
1) the side pieces were not cut in a perfectly straight line (there was some "wiggle" in the cut),
2) the cuts were not at the same distance from the floor (within the middle 1/3 between the base cabinet and cupboards),
3) the blade splintered the material so, even if biscuit jointed, there would be a visible "scar",
4) restoring strength of support previously provided by a single, intact, side panel.

We took a single piece of ("modern") edge glued 3/4" thick board, about 6" shorter than the depth of the base cabinet and 6" shorter than the clearance from the wall cabinet to the floor, routed the edge, and attached it to the existing (cut) side panels. Only the first 1"-2" of the cut showed, from the sides, and it provided additional support.

To avoid the "close but not exactly matching" problem of staining, the client opted to paint the panel black and hand-paint a rustic still life on it.

A similar approach would have the panel piece as this:

https://gyazo.com/03e4697e77f0ed3bbbef0e81aac3abd5
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Olson 185 - Hmm, I think I would find the extra piece of wood on the side panel to be aesthetically bothersome.

I am assuming that a beadboard backing, firmly attached (nails or screws) will create a stable structure for the upper and lower sections. When this is attached to the studs, I can't imagine there would be structural failure (ie coming loose from the wall, or bowing side panel).

The carpenter who removed it always had great tools, so the horizontal cut was very clean, no splintering. I haven't thought much about it, but assumed that the area where the cut was made would be glued, then filled with a colored wood filler. On the part of the side that was sort of submerged in the wall there is a line of paint/plaster residue, about 1 1/2" wide. There is also a cut out on the side for the baseboard, which fits mine. The boards on the side are 3/4 thick, so I fret that cutting into them to insert biscuits for joining may be more trouble than it is worth.

The cabinets were painted at one time, so there is residue of white paint in recesses, etc. I don't know what finish was used, but it feels very light and I can feel the grain, so it may be shellac or a thin coat of poly or other varnish. I have pondered about whether to leave it alone, or improve it. I like that it is imperfect, on a utilitarian cabinet. A slight line, where the cabinets were cut then rejoined is pretty minor to me, and just shows the history ?

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Are biscuits stronger than dowels? I've never used that type before myself.

Oooo...curiosity got the better of me. :animals-cat: Found this interesting write-up: http://www.rockler.com/how-to/doweling-vs-biscuit-joints/
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

I found some pics I forgot I had.

Yes, there was beadboard on the back of the lowers.

_DSC0006.JPG
_DSC0006.JPG (795.19 KiB) Viewed 298 times

Where the uppers meet the counter:

_DSC0010.JPG
_DSC0010.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 298 times

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Post by eclecticcottage »

I will say that up until the point of beginning to do work at The Bungalow, I didn't realize built ins weren't always a whole piece, like an entire cabinet with sides and backs. Mine were built against the wall, using the (plaster) wall itself as the back of the cabinets. They even left the baseboard and cut the sides around it. The bottoms had flooring as the bottom inside. At various points parts (mostly shelving) have been damaged and replaced with ply and osb. Working with them has been interesting, and more than one person has said they would have just ripped them out since it would have been easier. :problem:

In the case of mine, the structure was (is) provided by the sides and cross pieces between the doors, the back provided nothing since it was just the plaster. Now that I think about it, I don't actually know how/if they are anchored to the wall or just standing in place like a piece of furniture would. I'll have to look, lol. I would say that if your pieces are rejoined properly, you shouldn't have any problems especially if you do replace the backing and attach that to the two pieces.

I am of a "cottage" mindset for my own home-I like the imperfections and wear. I would leave them as is and enjoy the history they show. If by some chance you decide to sell in the future, you could try to "improve" (restore) them or a future buyer could if they chose. Personally, "perfection" makes me nervous-I'd rather it already be imperfect so I don't need to worry about every little ding or scratch. IMO, they don't look "old" as in worn out, rather "old" as in these have history and aren't a reproduction piece (perhaps I'm wrong, but I believe it's your home with the "worn" stair treads as well?).