what glue for vinyl flooring?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

what glue for vinyl flooring?

Post by phil »

I want to lay some vinyl floring for my front porch. Im sticking it to new plywood and I'll bondo the screw heads . The vinyl is from an unidentified maker , purchased at a garage sale. It has no fuzzy backing , it is just sheet vinyl. Im plannong to use contact cement by cutting it to fit about an inch big on all sides , accurately positioning the middle and trying to apply the contact cement to a center point and working outwards from there in all directions , trimming the edges as a last step.
Of course I kind of expect things to go all wrong and then Ill probably be sitting out on the deck cursing myself for not getting X type of glue for some reason. Maybe it will melt the vinyl or Ill get an impossible to remove air bubble? Ill do a test first.

I know they have a vinyl flooring adhesive that they usually use on decks but usually the vinyl they have is a very thin vinyl with fuzzy backing which is totally different. the stuff I have is as thick as a quarter and just vinyl, no backing. I think there is very little difference between the front and the back. It looks lke it will last forever if I can get the stuff glued down right.

Phil

wletson
Been here a good while

Re: what glue for vinyl flooring?

Post by wletson »

Contact cement huh? Wow, you're gutsy, I'll give you that. One bad drop, and you're really going to be swearing.
What if...
Apply a full coat of contact on the porch floor. On the vinyl, maybe every foot or so, paint a line of contact cement. Proceed as you planned. You would have breathing space between each foot of cement to regroup, make sure you're going along fine... and a slip or drop wouldn't necessarily ruin your day.
Applying formica to a countertop is bad enough. Trying to contact cement a floppy sheet... jeez, I don't know. Stripes like I described, or dots every 6 inches in a grid would still hold the vinyl down and make the application a bit more idiot proof. (nothing personal :lol: )
Warren

phil

Post by phil »

if I do a countertop I use bits of electrical wire (romex with the casing removed) then just lay them across the countertop and starting in the middle I can pull one at a time out.and make contact... the problem I am going to have with the porch is that I will have edges with cant strips on all 4 sides, the opening where the stairs is is the exception but it is kind of a C shaped area and I want the flooring to go up onto the cant strips on all sides ( a cant strip is a strip of wood cut to a triangle shape to keep the water from the walls) you can see the picture, the flooring has to be bigger than it needs to be and it is going to start off as a compound curve.. Yea I'm scared this job will go all sideways.. thanks for the ideas. I guess worst case Ill be there pulling my plywood back up. Maybe I should just do fiberglass.. it's not that big and I went through the process already so I have some confidence that system will work out.

andits1992

Post by andits1992 »

If you are searching for the best glue for vinyl floor you should consider these points that is, fast drying time is important quality; fast-drying floor glues allow for easier traffic and less slippage. Additionally, an glue that has plasticizer-migration-resistance boosts the floor's long-term bond integrity -- a quality that is particularly important for permanent installations. You should also check whether the glue is non-staining and moisture- and alkali-resistant; whether it can be applied over cutback subflooring; and whether the company that produces the glue offers a warranty.

Hope this fact will help you to select the best glue for your vinyl flooring.

phil

Post by phil »

that was a 5 year old post ;-) I actually did go with fiberglass and it is lasting really well.
I've had no cracking or lifting or other issues. I did siilar with some back stairs that are out in the weather but instead of fiberglass resin I used epoxy since I had some I got for free. I also found some free crack filler , it is an epoxy based 2 part but is tan in color. turned out that was an exact match to the gelcoat I used for the front and back porch.
now its all sealed in so well it is really lasting. I also tried mixing the epoxy crack filler about 50 50 with sawdust and used that to even things up much like bondo. that worked fine too.

about the same time I put vinyl in my van. I used the fuzzy backed stuff. It was a bit of a challenge because it was freezing weather but I got by with putting heaters in there. I was able to do that in one 12 foot piece and it worked fine for that.