Antique Light Fixture Questions

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Antique Light Fixture Questions

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Late 2000s is pushing it... I think the last Japanese manufacturer (Funai) quit earlier this year!

Anyway, I'm fairly sure this is some kind of original plug and socket design and you only have the plug. I even think I might have seen pictures of this somewhere on the web or in an old book!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I think the top part is previous to where code designated that the connections needed to be made inside a box. you can't install a plug inside an electrical box unless it's surface mounted. You can install a regular light pot with a receptacle, You can get plates so you can plug two cords into each light pot. then you can hang your light how you like it and since it isn't part of the house because it isn't permanently attached it is just an appliance that has old wiring rather than an infraction to the electrical code that you are installing in your house. I have some older porcelain things to hang lights from too, but i don't think they meet today's code because they aren't' designed to go into a box. I dint quite get what mick's idea was but I think if you steer towards making a thing you can hang from the ceiling and plug in you are better to do that because then your "code infraction device" can at least be unpluged so it isn't part of your house.

I think these porcelain parts are definitely good quality. I wouldn't refuse to use them for quality reasons but to meet code you want that CSA or UL sticker on your house wiring parts.

here's a pic of what I mean.. make it plug into something legal like this , then you should be able to can hang your old light parts from that. you might also be able to sort of hide the receptacle out of sight so then you;d see the nice porcelain part and it would be still used but not part of your house wiring.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... SY300_.jpg

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

All a UL sticker means is that Underwriters has tested a representative sample of whatever the material/equipment is and that it met their standards. UL has been testing stuff for over a century - the original electrical conduit in my house has an Art Nouveau style UL label on it. However, there's no rule in the US mandating that UL approval be necessary. I haven't seen too many UL labels on junction boxes in the US.

Also, counterfeit UL stickers are a problem, especially when it comes to things like extension cords, power strips, etc.

The National Electric Code (US) or the Canadian Electric Code (I would imagine very similar) is what mandates the use of electrical boxes; however, most older installations are grandfathered. I'm not advocating this, but since a light fixture doesn't draw a lot of current, one could install such a fixture on an old run and say it was already there. Nobody will know the difference.

Texas_Ranger

Post by Texas_Ranger »

I think the top part is previous to where code designated that the connections needed to be made inside a box. you can't install a plug inside an electrical box unless it's surface mounted.

I don't think that's the point - I strongly suspect that the missing part was a special kind of surface-mounted outlet that the existing part of the lamp just plugged into. Until you can find the socket part you'll likely have to replace the plug part with a canopy that goes over a modern ceiling box.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, I wouldn't realy worry to much about if it meeting code or not. Rewire it and connect it into a box using a canopy. You can probably keep the ceramic fixture by mounting it onto the canopy with threaded tubes and nuts sold as lamp parts at any hardware store. I believe Daniel (the old Vic) is an electrical contractor, he might offer a suggestion. Also, I see we have a new neighbour in the district, Ross. He restores vintage lights, he may also offer suggestions.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Lights need to be safe so rewiring will happen before any installation. I am still thinking about the best places they could be installed. After I get the nightmare bathroom calcimine paint situation and plaster repairs done, then the kitchen and powder room are next. There is a LOT to contend with in both those rooms. I am thinking the powder room and entry way might be good places for these fixtures, but replacing any lighting is a ways off in the future.

In the interim I picked up three 1940's triple chain fixtures for the bedrooms, for $ 5.00 a piece ! They will replace those terrible "boob lights" from the big box store. One of the boob lights has some new fangled LED bulb thing with prongs. The quality of the light is so muddy and low. Even a 40W bulb from the dollar store shining through a deep pink shade will be a great improvement.

$_27-1.JPG
$_27-1.JPG (25.94 KiB) Viewed 620 times

page33_virden41.JPG
page33_virden41.JPG (633.47 KiB) Viewed 620 times

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Back to your original lights Willa, I think that what you have in the cap is half of what is here
Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 10.15.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 10.15.47 PM.png (627.17 KiB) Viewed 616 times
In particular the one on the left. Notice the description, I think you have the "removable cap" part. This page was from the 1910 Sears lighting catalogue
Mick...

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Yes, that looks exactly like what should be there. Now where can I get 4 for $0.09/each ?

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I'd install a "normal" light pot and then find a way to use the lighting parts you like to plug in and hide it. Sure if all else is K and T and original you intend to keep it that way you can switch parts, who would know. My fear is that if there ever was a fire they can see if you have done updating like using romex and orange wire nits and black tape and stuff in that circuit.

I think I assumed that to meet code the new parts had to be UL or CSA approved. CSA inspectors will recognize the UL code or even the European codes. maybe I'm wrong? yea they are close. occasionally I have to install new machinery and if it comes from Europe we need to call int he CSA guys and they will poke around, usually find something like a wire they'd like a grommet on or something and we will do what they want and they will put their sticker on the machine. Ive seen it where they spot the European code sticker and breeze through feeling confident all is well.

fake stickers I wouldn't doubt. actually most light fixtures of today are made so cheaply they are kind of scary and most of that old stuff is much higher quality. My personal fear is of a situation like a kitchen fire where the insurance send people to inspect and they find stuff done not to code. I don't' know if they'd refuse coverage if what they found showed a bunch of infractions that weren't related to what started the fire.

those "paper" insulating strips arent' really just paper. it is much like paper but has a higher resistance rating. sometimes I will find it in places like electrical panel boxes and if it is a sheet you can cut it smaller but it is electrical insulation not just any paper. you can probably buy it in sheet form somewhere but I seem to be able to scrounge some from something else when I need a bit. a lighting store might carry the right kind of paper. it looks like gasket paper.

I've taken to installing my basement lighting with round pots and plugs like the picture I linked to. flourescent fixtures. I like being able to unplug them and give them the heave or fix them on the bench without needing to play with the wiring to take them down. Occasionally I find these flat white plugs, they are usually on extension cords. they aren't quite flush but they are thin and the wire leaves the plug parallel to the surface instead of the "normal" way where the wire exits the plug at right angles to the surface.. if you look for like 10 foot white extension cords you might find the kind of plug I mean. usually the female end has a multi plug socket. every one I have seen is white. i think they have a little bayonette hoop thing to help pull them out of the socket as there isn't a lot to grip onto. I think these would be good if you want to cover the pot as they only protrude about 1/4"

also you can getthe recessed sockets. they are used in kitchens for wall clock plugs. they have a little hook to hang your clock on and the plug hides behind the clock. now we have so many battery clocks you rarely see them but you can get new ones and they are good for hiding your connection. people that hang TV's on the wall probably use them now.

I often see modern table lamps and things that have shades I swear would catch fire easily.. in the 80's or 90's they had those halogen ones that were free standing and point at the ceiling. I remember seeing a video showing how a breeze can blow the curtains up over top of the lamp and since they are those little halide ones that get screaming hot the curtains go into flame really easily. i think they were banned but I still see them around and the owners aren't usually wary of the danger.

better not ramble more I am going off topic.. aren't I ; -)

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Willa wrote:Yes, that looks exactly like what should be there. Now where can I get 4 for $0.09/each ?

:lol:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.