Priming Skim Coated Plaster Repair Dilemma

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Priming Skim Coated Plaster Repair Dilemma

Post by Willa »

The plaster repair and skim coat in my stairwell has a considerable surface area. I know this needs to be primed with an alkyd primer before it is painted.

My question is - do I only prime the repaired areas with the alkyd primer ? The terrible yellow is a latex paint, and I understand that you don't put oil over latex, but is primer different ?

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: Priming Skim Coated Plaster Repair Dilemma

Post by Willa »

(crickets).....

I decided to use the oil primer only on the areas where there was raw plaster. I let this dry for 24 hours then painted over everything with a light colored latex paint to help to hide that strong yellow. I couldn't find info online that supported doing this or NOT doing this but I figured that priming 100% of walls that were already painted was overkill. My fingers are crossed for no issues pertaining to this.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Willa wrote:(crickets).....

I decided to use the oil primer only on the areas where there was raw plaster. I let this dry for 24 hours then painted over everything with a light colored latex paint to help to hide that strong yellow. I couldn't find info online that supported doing this or NOT doing this but I figured that priming 100% of walls that were already painted was overkill. My fingers are crossed for no issues pertaining to this.

I'm sure that will do it just fine! Merry Christmas Willa!
Mick...

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

Willa wrote:(crickets).....

Oh, I"m sure you're fine!!
The trick would be, where you come up to latex paint again, to wipe off the alkyd stuff with a rag.

This is more important on an exterior, where you'll have elements beating up your work. Don't want an oil/latex/oil sandwich, if you can help it!

You can always use a latex primer over oil OR latex paint, and I will often do this to KILL a color like bold yellow, red, dark blue, etc - and you can have them tint it a gray depending on what color your top coat will be....I do like to use alkyd primer on bare plaster, tho.