Canadian Source for Plaster Washers ?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Canadian Source for Plaster Washers ?

Post by Willa »

Do any of you Canadians know of a local online source for plaster washers ? Lee Valley Tools has them, but their items tend to be pricey.

Also - are there Canadian suppliers for Big Wally's plaster repair washers ? I read Corsetiere's account of using that system's method, but substituting adhesives.

I thought the plaster washers would be best for ceilings, since the screws remain in place while the Big Wally's would work great for smaller areas where there is loose but not failing plaster in walls.

Gothichome

Re: Canadian Source for Plaster Washers ?

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, I looked high and low for a Canadian supplier but could not find one. So I adapted. The local home hardware carries large plastic cup shaped discs with a nail in the middle. I just pulled the nail and used a screw. Worked like a charm. Did what I had to do and removed. I don't know what they are for or what they are called.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Do you remember what the application was for these plastic washer things with the nail ? Or what hardware store you purchased them from ? Or even what part of the store they were from ?

I had a friend who would get less articulate the more stressed she got. She would tell me " You know, the thing that looks like a thing" which did not help me to pin down what she was telling me about.

I asked at the local Home Hardware but they did not have anything that would approximate a plaster washer.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Hmmmm ?

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

try a fastener wholesaler? acklands or there are several others.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

The Lee Valley Canada price is actually fairly close to the price you will pay here - within a buck or so for 100
Mick...

Willa

Post by Willa »

That's good to know. They seemed sort of expensive to me but I haven't ever actually priced them before.

As a Canadian, you quickly learn about the woes of ordering products from the USA if the seller uses UPS to deliver. For a relatively small order, UPS may charge $ 50.00 or more in brokerage fees, plus taxes and duty. Buying within Canada means I am paying local taxes and delivery charges. I am quite surprised that Lee Valley seems to be the only source ?

Amazon.com had some at varying price points. Some better deals:

https://www.amazon.com/GRIP-PLATE-Plast ... er+washers

and a pretty high price:

https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Group-Pl ... er+washers

I sure hope I won't need 1000 plaster washers.

Is there any difference in the performance between brands or styles ? Is a more perforated washer better ? Zinc won't rust under plaster, right ?

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Post by eclecticcottage »

Too bad you aren't closer to the border, I'd have you ship them to me and meet you here to pick them up. you can bring over a certain $$ amount without all the craziness if I recall. My neighbors get packages all the time for friends and family that they bring home with them (they live in the GTA).