Dealing with Calcimine Paint ?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Dealing with Calcimine Paint ?

Post by Texas_Ranger »

The color is much darker when it is wet.

That's absolutely typical!

In a way it kind of looks like old wheat paste wallpaper paste residue which dissolves in water ... which I had many sq ft to contend with.... but I don't know if that would feel "chalky" more like a rough texture.

Technically the two are very similar but the paint has a lot of chalk and/or powdered clay in it so that's what makes it sticky.

As I scrub away, I ponder how they got the blue paint on top of the salmon paint - as it is very water soluble.

Painting carefully and quickly, possibly spraying. It can be done if you're fast enough, applying the fresh paint before the old coat has had enough time to soften. It wasn't recommended though.

I wonder if there are regional differences as to the appearance and behaviour of this paint due to varying recipes/manufacturers ? Was it sold dry and mixed by the user, or sold in cans like conventional paint today ? Does anyone know ?

It is often called "distemper" maybe its a regional thing with the name? I seem to recall being told it was sold in solid form (whiting) and mixed on site (addition of water, glue and color)

Apparently kalsomine/calcimine/... is the wrong name for what you're dealing with (as I just found on Wikipedia). Calcimine - as the name hints - is a plain whitewash consisting of lime putty and water. Distemper, or more precisely soft distemper is what we've got here, likely cellulose-based. One of the linked articles at the end of the page uses the two terms interchangeably though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distemper_(paint)

Distemper was either sold as a powder or mixed from scratch on site because it has a fairly short shelf life when wet - it gets mouldy. When my dad moved into his first apartment in the late 60s my uncle advised him how to paint, mixing clay, chalk and glue with water in different buckets, letting everything sit overnight and finally mixing the paint. The paint was then either brushed on or sprayed using old-fashioned pump sprayers, creating an INCREDIBLE mess, like any spray job. I've got one of those but it's broken, probably needs a bunch of new washers and whatnot. My dad tried one back then and didn't like it - he said you'd either get individual minuscule spots of paint on the wall or wet drips, depending on the consistency. I'm still tempted to try it myself.

In this house the original paint was likely casein-based hard distemper as it's really set on the plaster and requires lots of washing to get it off completely - on the other hand it's easy to paint over. I know for a fact that it was sprayed because they painted before installing the oak floors - every time you take up a floor you can see the overspray on the subfloor.

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Wow - you do know your archaic paint finishes - thx! FWIW, I happened to read somewhere that shellac was sometimes used over these paints for more durability.... which explains my weird red paint seeming to be soluable in both water and denatured alcohol and behaving like shellac.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Well as I said soft distemper was used all over the place in Austria well into the 1960s or even early 70s and avaliable in DIY stores well into the early 2000s. Now it's making a comeback among the eco-nuts under the name "clay paint".

Painters around here still frequently use a modernised version that uses a styrene-acrylic binder rather than cellulose glue and behaves more like cheap flat latex paint. It's more water-resistant than soft distemper but still tends to bubble when painted over and can be removed fairly easily. I can't say I'm a fan of soft distemper, I've used it a few times and it takes four coats to cover. I might use it again if I ever have to paint plaster ornaments.

Covering distemper with shellac darkens it (like wetting it but permanently) and makes it glossier and probably more water-resistant. I've used shellac over (modern) distemper to block water stains. If yours still came off with water I don't think they used any shellac. Don't forget that denatured alcohol contains a lot of water so it'll like dissolve anything that's also water-soluble.