How much did it cost yall to remodel your kitchen?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
SarahFair
Knows the back streets

How much did it cost yall to remodel your kitchen?

Post by SarahFair »

Were having to move things around in our kitchen due to poor layout and basically all the appliances being broken..

We started out with $10,000.
We ordered our appliances on black friday and they came out to be $4000.
That was for a fridge, cook top, wall oven, and dishwasher.

Were looking to get new cabinets and counter tops as well.
Our friend was going to order us the counter tops wholesale.

Due to us getting an island with a cook top were going to have to get a vent hood which means reconfiguring the lighting, but I dont think that will be a huge deal (DIY if we need to)

Were wanting shaker cabinets..
I looked up the cost from cabinets.com and with the design the counter top company gave me it said theyd cost around $3300.
The new surface area of the counter tops will be about 39sqft with $360 worth of cut outs.
For quartz installed prices range from $35-$70+, which I like a type in the $48 range, but I can find something cheaper.

We are going to have to have a gas line run to the new cooktop (quoted $250 for materials and labor) and have a few 220v plugs installed.

I posted on another forum which many people chimed in who said Im way off with my budget and kitchen remodels usually need a budget of $60,000 :-o

I mean, Im not getting the flooring done, I can do the back splash myself and I dont have to do it immediately..
Im not looking for anything high end, we are a simple family living in rural Georgia :crazy:
Is $60k really what I should have budgeted?!
I just didnt think we were way off with $10k with what we want.

Many of them also think the layout is not good enough.
The 36" walkways are too small and the 9" on each side of the cook tops will never work..
:think:

What kind of costs have yall incurred during a kitchen remodel?
Do yall think the new layout is poor?

kitchen design.jpg
kitchen design.jpg (102.84 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

kitchen sink.jpg
kitchen sink.jpg (75.8 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

kitchen fridge.jpg
kitchen fridge.jpg (91.2 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

229Boulevard-16.jpg
229Boulevard-16.jpg (339.21 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

229Boulevard-17.jpg
229Boulevard-17.jpg (311.81 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

229Boulevard-18.jpg
229Boulevard-18.jpg (339.89 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: How much did it cost yall to remodel your kitchen?

Post by Lily left the valley »

I am not a good sounding board for the cost end.

As to layout, I defer to the experts... Image
Last edited by Lily left the valley on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Don't worry about other people's budgets. It's your money and your kitchen. If you can get what you desire and need for $10K, then it's the perfect budget. :thumbup:

Personally I think $60K for a kitchen is ridiculous. Maybe that is common in McMansion remodels - lots of high end tile, appliances, fancy this, trendy that... only to be dated looking in 10 years.

I have re-done 2 kitchens roughly the same size as yours. We put in full height cabinets, quality appliances and some work was hired out. Everything was brand new in both kitchens. First one came in at $8K. The recent one, I reconfigured the space completely - going from an L shape kitchen to a U shape with breakfast bar. We used higher quality cabinets and totaled out at $9400. Your budget is absolutely workable.

I will agree with your friends about the 9" cabinets beside the cooktop - that isn't much room. Maybe having 15" on 1 side and a 3" end cap on the other would be more functional?? (or 12" & 6"?)

The 36" walkways are okay, but again, pretty tight. 42"- 48" is much more comfortable. Have you tried marking out your island on the floor with blue tape? That might help you visualize if you can live with the close proximity. How many people will be in the kitchen while preparing meals? Keep in mind you now have a free standing & moveable table - your new cooktop island will be permanently fixed. Not sure if rotating the cooktop 90* counterclockwise would help any?

Studying your layout - it's really not bad (aside from the above island issues), and it has a good work triangle. I can see from your pics why you want a separate oven and cook top. With so many doorways (many of us have this same problem), it just doesn't leave you a lot of options.

I think your budget is fine, but I would study your layout further. You could go by one of the big box stores and have them do a design. It's free and maybe they could come up with a slightly roomier layout.

Lastly, don't dismiss using a custom cabinet builder. As I found out on a recent reno, they aren't always more expensive than production cabinets. They often have great solutions from their years of experience.

Good luck. Keep us updated on your project :popcorn:
Last edited by TexasRed on Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

You definitely need to get all the measurements for how much space the oven, dishwasher and fridge doors open PLUS the room for the user to be comfortable standing in front of these doors for loading/unloading and doing things like bending over.

What is the benefit of having an island with a cooktop v.s. a conventional stove ? What if the cooktop was placed along the opposite wall which would then make the kitchen feel open v.s. obstructed by the island ?

Take those upper cabinets all the way to the ceiling for more storage.

Those 60K renos are probably from big city folk who are using a designer plus various contractors plus fancy finishes plus high end appliances plus possibly moving walls around, too. Plus probably heated floors with special tiles.

Work within your budget and make it work the best you can.

Ikea is a wicked seductress BUT I have often marvelled at their catalogs which always present sensible design and use it in innovative ways. That said I wish I could depend on their products to have a longer lifespan. Their catalogs are great for ideas.

Do image searches for kitchens and do Pinterest boards for what you like and see if you can translate what you like into working in your kitchen/budget/life.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

lovesickest wrote:...You definitely need to get all the measurements for how much space the oven, dishwasher and fridge doors open PLUS the room for the user to be comfortable standing in front of these doors for loading/unloading and doing things like bending over.

What is the benefit of having an island with a cooktop v.s. a conventional stove ? What if the cooktop was placed along the opposite wall which would then make the kitchen feel open v.s. obstructed by the island ? ....

Good points lovesickest :thumbup: Knowing the space requirements for appliance door clearances is really critical.

I like your idea for the cooktop (or regular range) going against the laundry room wall. If you used a regular range instead of separate oven & cooktop, you'd gain valuable extra counter space where the wall oven is now.
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

I can't speak to the specific costs of an all-out kitchen remodel, but we have done quartz countertops in two houses now and they have cost us $45-$55 a sq ft (professionally installed). Keep in mind this is in CAD. We have gone with TCE brand quartz in one home ($45 sq ft for solid 3 cm thick slab), and then Caesarstone quartz in our current house ($55 sq ft for 3 cm thick slab). Some places will undercut the price but only give you a thin slab and then glue a lip on the edge to make it look thicker- but I find that you can always see the seams.

As for the layout, I'm no expert, and I think you have gotten some great advice from others- the things that stick out to me are:
A) that a separate cooktop and wall oven typically require a large kitchen to work well (because they are less space-efficient), so if space is an issue then perhaps consider a stove instead?
And
B) The idea of taping the island layout onto the floor to try it out before you buy sounds like sound logic to me. Might also want to do the same with the door openings of the appliances you want- if there isn't room to walk between the fridge/stove/dishwasher and the island when the appliance doors are open, then you might want to rethink it because it might not be practical.

As for budget, a neighbour here just poured $100,000 into a kitchen remodel- just wild. It looks beautiful, but IMO it is unnecessary. Your $10,000 budget will be a tight one, just because you have included appliance costs in it (because really that is leaving you a $6000 kitchen budget for everything else), but it can be doable if you are resourceful and like to DIY. You certainly don't need $60,000 to do a nice kitchen!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

Here's an article about kitchen design and space clearances:

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/52264430 ... hen-island

One point that doesn't get mentioned is to consider the size of the family members. If you or your spouse are large or wide then add a few more inches of clearance space to your plans.

I lived in an older apartment that was well laid out and had lots of built in storage space that was perfect (4 closets plus a linen closet and pantry !). BUT - because this apartment was planned to maximize the useful space, things like the stairwell, doorways and hall were just a little too narrow. The hall in the apartment was 32" and the doorways were 28.5". The stairwell into the apartment had a wide handrail and exterior electrical conduits. At the worst spot this left only 30.5" width. Even carrying in a box meant that I had to hold my arms at an unnatural position. This made the apartment feel really stressful because of the constant tension of having not quite enough space for basic tasks of coming and going with groceries or garbage bins. I would have gladly given up 12" of width in the bedroom to make the stairwell and hall each 6" wider. I'm a woman, slightly on the taller/full figured side of things. If I was a rounder person or a taller man this would have been even worse. If you skimp on clearances you may have a kitchen that looks nice but feels bad ?

From looking at the pics of the kitchen - (unsure if this is your decor or the listing pics ?) this is what I would change to make the space more workable (this is not considering the new appliances but working with what is pictured):

- block up carry through opening
- remove table, stools
- current position of fridge is awkward - wasted space beside it
- current position of stove is awkward as it blocks counter access and overlaps space by small shelves
- move fridge and stove to the wall with the former carry through - there may be enough space left for over to make a small cabinet the same height as the stove. This is useful for transferring food from the fridge to the stove and vice versa. This also makes a very good work triangle in relation to the sink, which remains directly opposite.
- raise the clearance below the cabinets by several inches for better appliance access (taking off lids or adding ingredients to blender, etc.). Cabinets should go all the way to the ceiling.
- decrease the width of the wide doorway by 12 - 18", install a cabinet that wraps around the corner into this space. The little shelf thing sort of behind the stove feels awkward and wastes space.
- no valance over the window. Make the window as unobstructed as possible.
- no island or table in the center
- no decorative items that protrude into the space like candleholders or small shelving thing on wall with light switch
- do you need a broom closet or are these items stored elsewhere ?

Since you are living in rural Georgia, do you need a high end countertop material like quartz v.s. something durable and functional ? I am a big fan of melamine, that looks like melamine, particularly in a color (no fake stone finishes). Not using stone for the countertops will save you a bundle. Stone countertops are really in right now, which also means they will be out, like harvest gold or avocado appliances

Your budget seems to be missing the labor costs (ie is the shipping and installation cost included in the purchase price of the cabinets ?), plus taxes and other surprises that may come up. Also hardware for the cabinets, which can add up.

What if you replaced the doors, drawer faces and countertop on the lower cabinets, and bought brand new taller matching uppers v.s. replacing 100% of the cabinetry ?

Is having a 100% brand new kitchen the reason for this reno, or are you wanting to make the kitchen more functional ?

Since you bought the wall oven and cooktop on Black Friday, could you sell them (Brand New In Box, never used) for close to what you paid to recoup your costs, then buy a nicer stove and use whatever is left over towards other costs ?

Awhile back you had said this house was going to be a flip. If so, spend money on what will maximize your return and don't design for yourself. Do what is in keeping with the demographics and tastes of the area, so you aren't pricing yourself out of the market.

SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Post by SarahFair »

You guys have made me feel so much better!
I was seriously getting such anxiety on the other forum! lol

I have taped off area for the new cabinets and island. There is enough room to open doors and appliances.
I gave the guy who did the layout the measurements of everything we ordered.

We dont have to hurry the whole kitchen along, meaning back splash, flooring, lighting, etc. That can all be added slowly with time and I think Im very capable in doing a lot of that kind of work myself (and enjoy it!)

We arent a big family so needing more space around objects wont be a huge issue.
Im usually the only one cooking. Sometimes if the SO is at home hell come sit and talk to me, or the kids will be in there doing homework while Im in there, but the kitchen is not the main focus or gathering place of the house for us.
Wed like it to be attractive, but honestly its never been a favorite room for me to spend time in (unless its coffee making time or time to bake desserts, but I only do that occasion)

Im avoiding a slide in range because Ive noticed Ill avoid cooking due to me having to stare at a wall while Im standing over the stove. It makes me feel isolated and doing something I already dont overly enjoy and feeling isolated makes me feel like Im being punished.
I think if I could look out into more of a view I wouldnt feel so alone.
Insane, I know.

I also dont like bending over so much dealing with the oven. I use the oven A LOT more than the stove top.

I originally wanted the stove top under the pass through but the guy who designed it said it wouldnt do well there due to the vent hood hanging so low. Id basically loose the pass through.

Heres pictures of everything taped off.
I think the fridge in its current place is throwing me a little. My dad bought that fridge from the past owner and is letting use use it till ours comes in. We bought a french door fridge. It needs 14" clearance from counter top edges and walls to be able to fully open to access drawers appropriately. The new fridge is going where the stove currently is, but I had the guy designing is move the fridge over so there would be enough clearance for the door.
We are omitting the cabinets in the layout where the current fridge is. Im going to try and find a smaller pie safe or jelly cupboard to fit in that area, that way its something movable if we did need the extra walking room.

kitchen taped 2.jpg
kitchen taped 2.jpg (469.98 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
kitchen taped 1.jpg
kitchen taped 1.jpg (466.14 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Post by SarahFair »

This house isnt a flip, this is our permanent home. The first photos are of the listing photos so its not my decor in the kitchen.
I agree the current layout of the kitchen is awkward with a ton of wasted space. The fridge sticks partway out into the door opening and the stove there makes that corner virtually unusable :/
I am hoping by moving the fridge over to where the stove is and to the left it will create a more usable corner.
Like I said, we are a small family. Everyone is under 6ft tall and on the slender side.
We use the kitchen for cooking, but dont eat meals or really socially gather in there.

And while we are more rural than the suburbs, we arent out in the sticks rural either, lol.
Its not uncommon to see stone counter tops in this area :)

Does anyone know about these builder surplus stores??
Why are things so cheap?
Theres one out here near us and I saw another ad for one on craigslist..
Should I avoid using places like this for faucets, sinks, cabinets, etc?
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/fod/5877227423.html

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

If you want to save money , stay out of the big box stores and look in materials. You can block the commercial sellers. In your area you have a lot of commercial sellers trying to sell under "by owner" get in the habit of clicking on "prohibited" when you see them doing this. commercial sellers can't post under "by owner" so you may have to place an add to shame them and ask others to help. It works by readers policing the system. I'd look for used stuff wherever you can, and you can still get really nice appliances and things.

there is no way I'd pay thousands for particleboard cabinets with things like self closing gadgets. at least get plywood ones. The ones in HD and Ikea are just junk akin to all the rest of the particleboard furniture they sell. if you want quality maybe check some local cabinetmaker shops or buy used stuff and make necessary changes to fit it in. if you need new appliances, rather than making a panic buy, shop around. they are easy to switch with the exception of the stove you want.
"shaker style" is like the way they use the word "deco" to advertise new junk, it only refers to the shape of the doors and it's just there to make you feel like you are buying something "classic"when really it's just new particleboard junk.

I try to adhere to my own rule. I don't allow anything made of particleboard except maybe free standing shelves which are not part of the house itself. If you aren't' careful you'll end up with a 60,000 dollar particleboard masterpiece with doors where the screws pull out or drawers where the bottom falls out.