Ben Moore Advance?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Mick_VT

Ben Moore Advance?

Post by Mick_VT »

Hey, does anybody have any experience with this (I think new) Ben Moore interior paint. I am intrigued that it is a "water borne alkyd" and is available in high gloss. I'm wondering if it's as good or close to the old oil alkyds?

http://www2.benjaminmoore.com/DownloadB ... idatasheet[0].data_sheet_file_en_US
Mick...

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Re: Ben Moore Advance?

Post by Casey »

I used the semi-gloss Advance on some new interior trim in 2011. It really does dry as hard as oil enamel. And there was no need for primer; this means that you apply a coat, then sand it with a fine sanding sponge, then apply the top coats. I'm not totally sure the formulas are still the same, seem to recall that one of these new paints was tweaked a little.
I have only seen the high gloss on the wood samples they had in the store. Find this swatches and see if you can scratch 'em with your fingernails.
I think Advance has been out for 9-10 years now.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

I just painted my hallway in both the semi gloss and the higher gloss for the woodwork.
Performs as well as the smelly paints you had to open windows for.
This stuff doesn't smell!!! I had to remind my family not to use the hall for several hours so they
wouldn't bump into anything and ruin my work!

If I want to paint this winter, there is NOTHING stopping me (or you either!)
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Wackyshack wrote:I just painted my hallway in both the semi gloss and the higher gloss for the woodwork.
Performs as well as the smelly paints you had to open windows for.
This stuff doesn't smell!!! I had to remind my family not to use the hall for several hours so they
wouldn't bump into anything and ruin my work!

If I want to paint this winter, there is NOTHING stopping me (or you either!)

Great to know - I am considering the gloss for my dining room trim. In my case I need to keep the cats out of there, I already had "help" when mudding the ceiling.
Mick...

vvzz
Been here a while

Post by vvzz »

Do you have Ben Moore impervo available in your area? It's oil based, but it produces such a great finish without too much fuss. When I moved to the current house, I used it on the trim with just limited prep(washing with TSP) and it came out so great.
Yes, it smells like fresh paint for a few days, but IMO that a good thing :)

And I'm of mindset that if the material doesn't give you cancer or headache, then it probably sucks :)

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

vvzz wrote:And I'm of mindset that if the material doesn't give you cancer or headache, then it probably sucks :)

living in a house that randomly covers me in vermiculite every time I work on it, I can empathize with that! Fortunately the previous owners (and those who installed the nasty stuff) lived into their 90s.

Impervo is I think the only oil based alkyd they still do, unfortunately satin is the highest sheen.
Mick...

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Gawd I love Impervo, but the stuff is getting expensive now...

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

In my area, the high-gloss Moore oil enamel is the "maintenance paint" (black and silver label w/ red lettering?) and the satin finish oil is called Dulamel. They apparently have different lines sold in different states. The maintenance paint has been the only gloss kind available since 2004-5. It works fine, but does not have the same coverage as Impervo did.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil