Porch floor color?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Porch floor color?

Post by eclecticcottage »

I believe the correct color for the porch floor on the Bungalow Project should be gray. Is this correct? 1920's bungalow.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Porch floor color?

Post by Nicholas »

That is/was the norm according to my research. There are two shades that I found at Lowes for porch paint, I went with the darker on mine, which was similar to a few Craftsman and others here in the hood.

1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

eclecticcottage

Thank you! That's what I was thinking too. There are a couple color layers, gray and white being the two-and white on a porch floor seems...uh...not smart lol.

Someone painted the steps white too, I think I might match those to the porch. I don't think they were originally painted, but now that they have been I'll have to stick with it unless I want to try to strip them!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

mine had plywood over the original T and G. but the wind blows rain in there and then it makes the room below , which I guess was for storing canned goods but I use it for "junque"... I resheeted with new plywood and used fiberglass with a beige gelcoat. I like it , now it's dry underneath and it's easy to clean. a lot less spiders now. Since I built the stairs I accounted for the slight difference in rise. I doubt Ill ever have to do more. the room may become a bathroom one day.

I painted my railings white and my across the street complained.. its just a couple boards and Ill change it to brick red to match the rest better. what was I thinking?

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

Our porch floor (1920's) has been painted a few times by POs... dark grey (like Nicholas' porch), then Xmas tree green, then brick red... Right now it's just parged bare cement (our porch floor is poured concrete, not wood).
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

eclecticcottage

So gray seems to be the popular vote. Upon further inspection, it seems mine has been dark and light gray at different times. I'm leaning towards the dark, since the light might just read like a dirty white next to the bright pure white on the rest of it.

KenN
Knows the back streets

Post by KenN »

My father always painted the porch floor Battleship grey. Around where I live now a dull brick red seems the common color. When we did the front porch over last year I wanted low maintenance for the porch floor so we did Ipe wood for the porch floor and I am leaving it bare and letting it go grey.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Ben Moore sells a Super Spec Urethane oil finish. I've used this on floors inside and out it wears like iron. You can get a gloss or low luster finish. They have I believe five bases, so a whole range of colors can be mixed.
https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/int ... -urethanes