Cleaning crocheted ornaments

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Cleaning crocheted ornaments

Post by Lily left the valley »

Finally got around to pulling out the Christmas boxes today.

We had them stored in a closet that is outside of the apartment, accessed via the side porch.

Apparently, there is a leak on the one outside wall.

These ornaments took the brunt of it. The angel is still wet to the touch, so this happened recently. I'm trying to figure out where the coloration came from, as it stained the paper they were wrapped in (not what they're on now, I used that for contrast and to keep them off the table surface). They don't smell like mold. I'm wondering if somehow they picked up the color from the box itself? I am a bit befuddled, really, since it's just a standard office box, although older.

Any recommendations as to how best to clean them? I'm scared silly I'll do something that will wreck them.

Also, they were starched before. It seems they're a lot floppier now, so maybe the starch was washed/soaked off a bit too.

Image Image

Edit: Just found this recipe for a bleach alternative, and I have all the ingredients in the house right now:

3/4 cup 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup baking soda
7 cups water
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Cleaning crocheted ornaments

Post by phil »

after using your solution you might be able to gently vacuum the water out of them if you have a shop vac.
full suction is a bit strong but if you take a piece of hose. like garden hose or whatever. Put that down the hose for the shop vac just loosely, then you can use it to vacuum out any water out without tearing it up. It'll clean like a carpet cleaner . maybe if you did your cleaning and soaked it in a starch solution it would help but I dont' know much about starch.
I use the vacuum technique sometimes for cleaning delicate things like old and fragile cloth wiring in old radios or the very delicate old speaker cloths. I picked up a little round brush and attachments intended for cleaning inside computers. I fitted a squeeze ball and a WD40 tube that goes into the little round cup brush so it will wet things and vacuum up the moisture without dribbling all over. it works really well. its kind of like a carpet cleaner with an upholstery attachment only in miniature.

Lily left the valley

Phil, I get the gist of what you are describing with your vacuum, but I'm not sure if the tube is acting as an anchor to hold the ball in place, or if the ball is just the right size to fit without falling out, and yet mobile enough to be able to spin and I have no idea what the tube is for then. It's a brilliant idea.

We no longer have a full size shop vac (we had a monster that we had to let go one move. Loved that thing.) What we do have is our little worker bee (It's really called a Stinger, but we're weird), which is a bit milder in suction.

After a bit more research, I'm leaving them soak overnight. So we'll see how they turn out tomorrow. I have to read up on doilies and starch. My grandmom made these (now passed), and I've not done a type of project like that before, so it's all new to me. I'm sure with all the craft related videos I find on the web, there will be something that will help me learn the process.
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

Here is a link about cleaning antique lace:

http://reallyhandmade.com/how-to-clean- ... te-fibers/

Natural fibers like cotton or linen can get "tanned" by their proximity to bare wood or brown paper or cardboard. Since the ornaments were previously starched, you will need to re-starch them after you have cleaned them. You'll have to look online for more info and recipes for that.

One thing I would absolutely not do is bleach (bleach = Clorox, Javex, etc.) them as this will weaken and destroy the fibers.

Get them as clean as you can, then keep using them in their altered state. History happens in layers. The staining hasn't destroyed them - just changed them some.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

here you go, this thing will hook up to your vacuum.
http://onlinediscountstore.net/micro-va ... t-7-piece/

if the suction is too strong, just make a hole in the size adaptor thing. you can cover the hole wiht tape if you want more suction.

I modified mine by taking one of the little tubes like you find on a can of wd-40. I just took a hot pin and stuck it through the plastic of the little brush cup thing so the little hose is inside the brush.

I found squeeze ball that's probably from an old car where you;ld step on the ball to squirt the windshield. it has a check valve ( one way valve) so as you step on the ball each time it pumps. You could simplify that by just using an ear syringe ball and filling it with soapy water. or you could use a big syringe. I just liked the ball that I step on as it fees my hands up. Its not really necessary.
I'd just use one of these which you can find in any drug store
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/ear-syringe/6000101492476

it just dribbles the water into the cup brush and sucks it back into the vacuum and won't drip water or anything. it just uses a tiny amount of water. I found the rig handy for cleaning small delicate items as you don't' have to brush or completely saturate the fabric , just get it wet and suck the water back off.

some things may shrink or colors can bleed if they get wet I guess. anyway it's an idea the kit is cheap. you have the vacuum. I often have things like bundles of cloth wire. Before I work in the area it's nicer to clean them up a little but I don't' want water all over the place. the little attachments will get into tight spots.

Im not sure about the special soap but something bothers me about buying soap in little teeny bottles. it says it works by lowering the surface tension , yea that sounds technical but so does any soap. could you just use carpet shampoo or if you were worried about PH I guess you can check the PH and you could put the stuff through a solution of baking soda and water. that will neutralize acid and it's cheap like borscht ;-) you can get the little litmus paper test kits for a couple bucks.

Maybe Corsetiere will know more. I think she's involved with old costumes and vintage lingerie and such and that would be similar and need similar super careful cleaning so she's probably our resident expert on this stuff.

this article seems timely
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/lif ... -tips-2016

after reading love's comment on the fabric taking on stains I thought gee that sounds like how wood is stained by proximity of iron and you can use oxalic acid on wood to bleach out that color, or you could put it on an old fence and make it look brand new. The article above mentions boiling rhubarb - the leaves contain oxalic acid. so there may be a way to use oxalic acid to whiten fabrics but if it is something dear it might be best to learn more than listen to me ;-)

Phil

Lily left the valley

lovesickest, thank you for the info. I am worried about long term and was hoping since the lemon juice is such a small part of the forumla I found, it wouldn't be too bad. I don't even own bleach, which is why I went searching for an alternative. I tried one of the not as bad snowflakes in it last night, and it does seem to help. I don't know if we have a JoAnne's near us, but I'll look into that as well.

Related, I have a cotton lace tablecloth that I can't remember where it came from, probably a 2nd hand shop find that was a bit discolored, so I did a tea stain on that which turned out great.

That's good to know about how easily they can pick up coloration, so hopefully it is just from the box itself. I want them to be white because...snowflakes, darnit. :D But you're right in that maybe I shouldn't destroy them in the pursuit of whitest white.

I did find a few sources for starching methods, so I think I'll be good on that front.

Phil, Oh thank you for the info! I am definitely interested to try it. I only soaked one in the solution, and it does seem to be helping. But now that love wrote about how long soaks can break down the fibers with the lemon bases, I'm debating if I should try the special soap she mentioned. We had been trying to do a buying moratorium before the move, so I might not get this until after. I know it's a small kit, but if I break the rule, then he'll break the rule. :lol:

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

I don't know what the process is where cotton picks up the yellow/brown stains from wood or cardboard, or what it is properly called. I have some old linens that have been permanently discolored from a wood shelf where they sat for a couple of years, unused. Sometimes the best you can do is to dye the thing the color of the stain, if they won't come out.

Crocheted things wash fine as long as the water is not boiling hot. You can lay them flat and mould them back into shape. A folded towel on top of a another towel can be used like a blotter. I'm not sure about the starching part - if you dip them into wet starch and blot and press or if you spray on a thin coat on a dry item. From thrift shopping days way back, I do recall encountering doilies that had been coated in some rock hard stuff - maybe a white glue mixture - that was quite unpleasant.

Lily left the valley

I really appreciate everyone's input and advice. It helped boost my confidence which was sorely needed doing something like this because I really was worried that I would wreck them trying to fix them. :?

Here's a before/after. I have not yet starched them post cleaning. I'm looking into some ways to do that best, since a few of them are so...so many bits! I really am in awe of this work, especially the size and detail now that I've spent so very much time fussing over them.

One thing that has come out of this "oh noes!" and back again, is I now love these ornaments even more. When you have to seriously look at all of the joinery and fiddly bits within each flake, it's something to behold with respect.

Image Image

The main reason I put the after on the bathmat is because when I had them on a white towel, it was much harder to see some of them because they are much closer to their original color.

You can see where the ornaments that had the worst of it still are not quite remedied, but still better than before.

First, I rinsed them all with warm water. I did not use any soap because I feared it would cause more trouble than it was worth.

The rinsing did reveal one important thing to me: the starching actually prevented a lot of damage to the ornaments. I meant to take a picture after just the rinse, but some of the ornaments already looked worlds better just from that. The ones that were evenly starched (I could tell by how much was coming off as I gently rubbed them between my fingers after about the second or third ornament) were in the best shape.

The angel has some stuffing in the head for shape. I don't know that it is part of why the angel got it the worst or not. I suspect it's possibly that the stuffing retained the moisture that got into the box, but it's just an educated guess.

I had done a test with two of the smaller snowflakes, one with the lemon mix I found, one with just peroxide and water dilution. The results honestly were so close, it just made more sense to use the peroxide and water.

Worth mentioning:
1) I double soaked the worst of the ornaments. Two nights' worth with a rinse in between. There was a noticeable difference. I am tempted to do it again, but what I decided instead was to set them aside because of the deterioration I found.

2) I assumed the acid in the lemon was harsher than the peroxide. I'm still not sure that this is 100% true, and am not willing to take the time to do proper research either way.

I noticed on two ornaments that I later treated with an overnight soak of peroxide and water that I could see some deterioration, which made me question my choice. Writing this up now, I realized that before cleaning I did not think to examine the ornaments for natural wear and tear, so the damage may have already been done beforehand.

I realized the damage was where the hook goes, and only on those two. So although it may have been more wear and tear on those areas due to the hooks, or the material was broken down because of the peroxide, I don't know. The one that seems the worst off, I'm going to try to do a mend on, but I have no idea what to use, as most of my threads are at least partial poly something or other. So I'm going to wait until I can research this a bit more.

Here in Gardner, when the weather is warmer, the local community center has some days where crafters can come in to craft together. One day is specifically for stitch work. So I'm thinking I might set the two that need the repair aside, and when the crafting days start again, I'll take them with me and try to see if I can plumb the knowledge of the local elders I know will be there.

3) The angel is really the one I fret about the most. It doesn't look as "Angel in the Mud" as before, but it's still off. So I'm hoping that when I pull them out again later, my perspective may change as to how I feel about the look of them.

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

I think, considering what you started with, that they look great! I think once you starch them, you can gently reshape them and they will be fine.

Lily left the valley

Thanks, Deb. I am relieved they cleaned up as much as they did. I'm debating trying to dip the angel in a tea and having her her be antique colored though more uniform. I know it's silly, but for the snowflakes, those I care more about keeping them whiter. :D

Starching is going to interesting for me. I've never really used it. I'm sure it will go fine, it's just that whole, "Ok, how do I do this right the first time" sort of thing. I've got some How Tos to read when I have time.