what to do with free flexible stucco and fibeglass ?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: what to do with free flexible stucco and fibeglass ?

Post by phil »

I need some paint and mud for the living room. Found some free. Only problem is I need to take 100 cans
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/zip/5905430927.html

oh man , I'm trying to be strong ;-)

and some nice kitchen cabinets too ..
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/zip/5906861250.html

I don't see what's wrong with them. They are probably just replacing the kitchen to stay in fashion.

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Post by eclecticcottage »

Man, people give away all kinds of good stuff by you. That would be a problem for me, I wouldn't be able to look at the free section because I would be picking up too much stuff.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

From the CL ad for the cabinets, emphasis mine...
We are updating our kitchen, and the existing kitchen has to go.
Has been very well taken care of. The kitchen is probably original from 1996/97.
It's a glossy maple finish.

They're talking about that kitchen as if they are explaining an excavation. :lol:

I can just see it now....

"Well, we're still not quite in agreement as to the exact year this kitchen was installed. We're currently examining nearby paint layers on the walls, as back in that day, it was common for kitchens to be repainted as often as every other year in order to keep it within what was deemed acceptable upkeep for that settlement."
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

" You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run"

(It's a sad day when I am quoting Kenny Rogers but here I am)

The cabinets do look good - very good - but do you need cabinets ? Would you consider tearing out your current kitchen to make those work ? Can you spare the time to remove those cabinets since the homeowner hasn't ?

How much joint compound do you need for your living room - 2, 3 buckets maybe ?

IF you go chasing those cabinets you've got to post something of equal or greater value and VOLUME on your local CL within 7 days ! And make it be gone, permanently !

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

LOL i need about 1/2 of a bucket more joint compound and then after I sort out my "rounded corners" I can start with the fill coats. I pondered just using regular mud and throwing some glue in as I normally do or mixing what's left of the joint compound into the regular mud to just use it up. The way I fill I don't' need to sand much anyway so I think Ill go with the latter. on successive skim coats I'll switch to the regular or classic finish filler.
It can cause issues if some of the filler is harder in places but I think I can get away with using the taping mud up in the first fill coats. I hate saving the stuff from job to job. I lie to rough it out to almost close , then do a coat of primer and then finish. the stipple helps a bit to finish the skim coating.

as far as the cabinets. I am so tempted because they do actually match my maple cabinets in color very well and I could cut them down and re-use the parts. i want a run that is about a foot deep but the ceiling is high. I have these 2 fot deep cubby holes in the wall where the fireplace is that sort of skirt the usable space around it. my plan is to close the front with cupboards that are all flush but Ill cut the back out so I have these deep spaces accessible for storage but a more uniform look when the doors are closed. I finished the cubby's nicely but didn't make doors so they are display shelves now. I think it should look similar to the ones that were posted when we discussed running the kitchen cabinets right to the ceiling. It is 9 feet, so Ill need a ladder.

I think I decided that is's probably actually easier to build what I want with new material so I will pass on that one too.. and 100 cans of paint. not going to happen. I will never use it up and I'll curse myself forever ;-)

Im going to "fold em" this time lol ;-)