"buffed and primed" as an option on millwork

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Mick_VT

"buffed and primed" as an option on millwork

Post by Mick_VT »

Hey all,
Ordering the custom millwork for my long running dining room project. I decided to go with painted trim so ordering Poplar. The mill is offering the option of "buffed and primed" which I assume is done for ease of finishing. I like this idea but I am concerned that it will affect the ability of the wood to acclimatize before I install it, any opinions and experience on this before I drop the hammer and buy?
Mick...

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Re: "buffed and primed" as an option on millwork

Post by eclecticcottage »

I don't have any experience with this, but it comes to mind that maybe just the front (exposed) wood is painted? If so, then it shouldn't effect it at all.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

eclecticcottage wrote:I don't have any experience with this, but it comes to mind that maybe just the front (exposed) wood is painted? If so, then it shouldn't effect it at all.

Hmmm... yes, I was assuming it would be primed all sides, maybe not!
Mick...

Al F. Furnituremaker
Stalwart

Post by Al F. Furnituremaker »

Poplar is a very unstable wood (it moves a lot with humidity). So, good priming and painting all around is a good idea, or a lot of nails when installing it. In the furniture world, equal finish on all sides is a must with unstable woods. It allows equal moisture absorption all around and reduces (doesn't eliminate) wood movement with humidity.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Al F. Furnituremaker wrote:Poplar is a very unstable wood (it moves a lot with humidity). So, good priming and painting all around is a good idea, or a lot of nails when installing it. In the furniture world, equal finish on all sides is a must with unstable woods. It allows equal moisture absorption all around and reduces (doesn't eliminate) wood movement with humidity.

Thanks Al, I ended up spending the extra and going for it pre-primed
Mick...