Windows-thought-opinions?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Windows-thought-opinions?

Post by eclecticcottage »

So I can't test this theory until about 6/6:30 tonight when I can get back the The Bungalow Project, but I was pondering it with the dormer windows on the front and DH and I were discussing it with ALL the windows this AM.

Quick background if you haven't been following all of my posts all over the place. 1928 Bungalow, some existing replacements windows but scheduled for all the remaining ones to be done. Long story. Anyway, I *think* I have all of the storms. I am not sure, but I think I do (I might be missing three upstairs though). I've been struggling with the all white look with the brick and have been all over the map trying to find a "third" color (brick, white, and ???) to accent with. The only other color I can find that's been there was black-on the storm windows. Originally I was thinking of reversing it-white windows, black trim.

Getting a photo of the house circa 1950's confirmed the black/white windows:

So...the replacements are a done deal at this point. BUT. All of the mounting is still there for the storms/screens. The dormer storm windows are (I'm going to misspell this and I am only 50% sure it's the right term) jalouse windows-they are hinged to tilt on the bottom.

Could I still mount the original storms, even with replacements? I think so. I would then keep the cool dormer windows (although they do need repair-I can do that I think), and the other storms, paint them black and put them in for the look. I know, it's a compromise. But, it keeps the style of the house and gives buyers the all important new windows. It would, of course, be up to them on if they wanted to keep them and swap them out, but as with anything-you can't control what a buyer does once you sell a property. I have a huge basement, so hopefully if they decided it was too much work to do, they would just leave them down there for a future owner to decide on.

Mick_VT

Re: Windows-thought-opinions?

Post by Mick_VT »

It strikes me that whether or not they will fit is likely down to the exact size, shape etc. of the replacement windows that you put in.
Mick...

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Windows-thought-opinions?

Post by eclecticcottage »

I agree...I'm thinking with the extra depth from the brick, the window openings are deeper than usual so this might work. I have some replacements that were already done downstairs so I am thinking of trying to find the matching storm for one of them and trying it. The installer for the new windows said the new ones should be a nearly exact match, so if that works...then maybe it will for all of them.

I am not positive about this though, as I think about it-the upstairs side windows all have aluminum storms, probably from the 50's when the siding was done so I don't know if I have those, or could make them in time...but...hm.