Fridge placement dilemma opinions welcome

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Fridge placement dilemma opinions welcome

Post by eclecticcottage »

Well marble is out, black pearl granite might be in. Working with a different company and it might be a lot more reasonable.

As for the fridge...

The PO's son stopped by today. So I had to ask. Originally they had it next to the stove by the chimney cabinet, but then that one died and the new one couldn't fit so they put it between those doors. It kind of fit.

But I could't wait on the design anymore. I've got to keep going on this, so this happened today

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

I bet if you finished that cutout with beadboard or car siding it would look like it grew up that way! If the icebox's behind pokes through perhaps some nice built-in on the other side would make it easier to get on with.

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Ouch! I thought that you werent into wall reconfigurations or moving or altering the cabinet. IMHO the cabinet had more value as an unmodified, intact piece, even if disassembled and moved elsewhere.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

I dunno....I am all for original, but that icebox has to go somewhere! I bet he'll make it look like it ought to.

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Well what can I say Neighmond... except, it would have fit very nicely in my former pantry space that had its cabs ripped out yrs ago by a PO - and at least around these parts, specimens of that age/size/quality are very hard to come by and go for hundreds of dollars if not into the thousands. Obviously people do what they think they need to do ... but hey, this is an old house forum and we old house people are an opinionated bunch :wave:

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Kashka-Kat wrote:Well what can I say Neighmond... except, it would have fit very nicely in my former pantry space that had its cabs ripped out yrs ago by a PO - and at least around these parts, specimens of that age/size/quality are very hard to come by and go for hundreds of dollars if not into the thousands. Obviously people do what they think they need to do ... but hey, this is an old house forum and we old house people are an opinionated bunch :wave:

Same here, Kashka-Kat, as to the value.

From following EC's posts, the time frame she set for herself to return the property to the market seems to be the driving force behind these sorts of short cuts. (No pun intended because I just can't smile when looking at the picture.) Budget hasn't helped either, although it seems that's based on the market of that area. If someone is working on a restore in a lower priced area while still trying to meet modern day expectations, I'm starting to understand why this sort of thing happens as often as it does. I find that frustrating, but watching her progress and reading about the thoughts behind choices at least explains the "whys" of how a restoration attempt winds up veering into a remuddled renovation.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Or repurpose them in the den - far wall. Would make a great built-in for storing books, etc. Replace counter with a wood top to make it more furniture-like. Its not too late, if you have all the pieces - sometimes the whole front (framing w/doors) can be removed as a single unit, and then either be rebuilt as it was, or construct a box w/shelving and attach front onto that - you could have it any depth you want. It would also give you benefit of reconfiguring fridge wall however made the most sense and designing cabs to better fit around it.

Well hey its a thought! I could see it fitting into a dining room as well - it kind of looks more cupboard-y with the very shallow counter. Dining room cupboards usually have glass doors but theres no law that says they have to.

OP, I hope you understand that when posters put these questions out there and ask opinions from people who are passionate old house lovers ... we kinda feel a little bit invested, although OF COURSE accept that its ultimately your property and your choice.

I have a set of old 1920s maple kitch cabs in my study-work room - the base part with a new maple top makes a great work surface - I use one upper for books with the doors removed and another upper with doors for storage.

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

If you will not be saving the cabinets please remove them carefully and properly so someone else can benefit from them. It really pains me that you are doing this. Many old houses were designed thoughtfully and logically, and were very functional.

Modest homes had modest appliances that fit the space. Newer appliances tend to be oversized. Their built in obsolescence is worse than ever before:

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/ ... -unplugged

A smaller retro fridge would have more character and charm, and more easily fit the space. The oldness of the property should be considered an asset and presented as such.

eclecticcottage

Post by eclecticcottage »

Oh I have all of the pieces, believe me. The only things I've thrown out so far have been bags of plaster and the plywood parts from the cabinets that were definately not original. Oh, and two really crappy ceiling fans.

The problem is, while perhaps a true dyed in the wool old house fanatic would have accepted the fridge being in front of the only heat vent and partially blocking trim and possibly part of a door, most people wouldn't. I need one of the doors, as one on the cabinets is broken in half. It's fixable (with glue, clamps and time) and I'm not trashing it, but I plan to swap it out so that part is done. I had thought of moving it (you know, I always thought these were a whole cabinet unit, like they had a back and base-these don't) but there was not a good location-and I still would have then had to build something around a recessed fridge on that wall. I don't know if they will be reused in this house, but they will be saved.

If it makes anyone feel better, the only things that actually got cut was lath, the shelves (some of which were plywood) and the counter, which was beyond saving and possibly not original. The actual framing was already pieces there, so it was just removed. Now that I think of it, I do have to find where that went. I have some friends (thank goodness) helping and I don't know where it got off to. The doors and drawers are in the basement (on a shelf).

If this was some random ranch or cape, I would have hired a demo company and been done with this part ages (ok like a week) ago. I can't trust them not to ruin things I need (want) to keep though.

I am completely ok with people voicing opinions or disagreeing with my choices. I knew what I would be getting into posting here (I mean that in a good way, that I know people are passionate about old houses and original pieces). I am trying my best to find a balance between old and function. And also, dealing with things damaged beyond repair by POs. I know the fact that this isn't "my" house, rather one I mean to sell, probably doesn't help either whether it's concious or not. Again, it's ok-I know where I'm posting-it's not Houzz or something lol. Please always feel free to speak up. I may or may not take advice that's given, but opinions are always welcome :).

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

Okay - but you bought an old home - and so far you have talked about aluminum replacement windows(no wood due to cost and local market), took out a ton of original plaster (v.s. repairing the loose spots), appear to be moving around walls and I'm not sure what you are doing with those cabinets. This is all happening at breakneck speed. You have been very upfront about your intention to flip this property.

This is making me uncomfortable. In Toronto, so few intact historical homes remain, because of the quick bucks to be made gnawing through old homes. This does not help with historical preservation, this typically does not help the areas that are being gentrified as long term residents get priced and taxed out, and huge amounts of building materials in good and usable condition get trashed and replaced with inferior materials. The only person who benefits is the flipper - IF they have bought wisely and know the market, IF they are able to absorb the up's and downs of unexpected costs and repairs, and whether the project can be translated into the projected profits.

Many of us here have worked hard to preserve and maintain our homes, and undo the "improvements" done by previous owners, real estate speculators, etc. While some of us have benefitted from the run-off from flips (ie dumpster diving, free on CL, etc.) many of us have watched in agony while a decent older home gets ruined by aggressive and unnecessary modifications.