How much to add interior stairs?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
SarahFair
Knows the back streets

How much to add interior stairs?

Post by SarahFair »

Were going to have to convert the attic at some point into bedrooms within the next couple years.

Currently the way into the attic is from drop down stairs in a drop down ceiling that leads to part of the old entryway. Its about 4 ft tall up there.
To get to the attic you have to go up through a little square cut out.
So its about 12ft high from floor to attic.

Does anyone know a roundabout cost to have someone install stairs?

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Re: How much to add interior stairs?

Post by SkipW »

There are whole bunch of parameters that need to be addressed with that question.

Is the total rise (from floor to attic floor) 12 feet? Do you have enough room to build a stairway that may end up being 15 or so feet long? Will the stairs be attached to a wall on one side? Both sides? Or freestanding? Is there enough head room at the top of the current drop down stairs to end a run of proper stairs? Or, if not, do you have a location available with the needed room? How will these stairs be used and how often? You might cut some corners on rise/run if they are for infrequent use by able bodied people, otherwise an easy to use rise/run would be needed. (rise=height of the step, run=depth of the step, or frequently used as a total of the height and length of the staircase) Also, how particular are you that they match current interior flooring, etc or do you want simple pine/oak, etc?
Etta says "WOOF"

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I think its too vague a question to get a definitive answer to. If you pull a permit to do this you won't be able to break the code as far as railing hieghts , the length of the run, width at landings etc. You will need a structural engineer to sign off on your plans. You are going to have inspectors around and they may find other infractions. If you take the other route and say your house is your castle and not do these things then that's ok by me ;-) If you get part way through and then have to change your direction it could be expensive , if the house is out in the country then maybe no one would bug you.

I think you should first try to figure out where and how to make room. do you need a landing between floors or will code let you do a straight run. what is the width? will cutting the hole be weakening the structure? any wiring or plumbing or heating need moving?

once you know what sort of rise and run you have to work with you can work out from that the pattern for the stringers. If for any reason you want to add or remove flooring take that into account before you start because the stairs need to be equal in rise from one step to the next.

do you want the steps to be open or closed. will there be risers? what kind of wood will you use , will it be finished or plywood or something else? when you get to the attic do you have the proper height requirement for headroom?

cutting the stringers and attaching then may be only part of the work. You might find that you don't have the run length for 12 feet of rise. In days gone by I think the code was more relaxed about the steepness but modern codes are more strict. youmight find you need a landing in between so people can't tumble down 12 feet of stairs.

I think i'd try to learn more about the basic codes that you are supposed to be working within and see if you have the room first, or wheather you might need to do a turn part way up.

in my house I think it had no stairs originally. at some point they put stairs to the basement and stairs to the attic on top of them. they hiked the roof up over the kitchen and moved a wall out to incorporate the space lost. they cut a pretty major beam but from all I can tell it is still very strong and I think the two sets of stairs actually added some strength. I think they did an ok job but it was quite an undertaking. It would be worth hiring a carpenter just to help you plan and maybe feel him out about the code issues. If you need a permit you need a drawing first. once you have a drawing it will be easier to communicate. even if you have no intention of following code you'll want a drawing to work ou thte details and minimize mistakes. It looks like Skip and I both replied at the same time so yea what he said ;-)

Phil

1850Farmer
Knows the back streets

Post by 1850Farmer »

If space is an issue, a spiral stair is a good option. Spiral stair kits are reasonable in overall cost too, when you consider material, installation and finish. A little framing, no walls, no ceiling, no trim, doors, or paint.

SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Post by SarahFair »

Idk if Id want to do spiral.
Room for them is not really an issue.

There would probably need to be a landing to avoid the steepness.
The house down the street has some very thin stairs that seem to go on forever, I dont want that.

They'd be attached to the wall and I dont think any plumbing, electrical, or ducts would need to be moved, but theyd need to be added upstairs.

Id definitely hire someone.

Simple pine to match the rest of the house.

I was just wondering if its a $5000 job or a $15000 job

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SkipW »

My estimate (on the internet ;-} ) would definitely be more in the $5000 range than the $15000 range. In my head, assuming a straight run with no major obstacles, attached to one wall, when I was typing the above, was around $4000. Of course, YMMV.

One reason I asked about having the room was to avoid the steepness. Assuming an approximate 7.5" rise and 10.5" tread (comfortable stairs) you would need a space that was about 15' long to accommodate them...

I personally would not suggest spiral stairs. I have removed plenty that were shoehorned into a space and then quickly determined to be a PITA.
Etta says "WOOF"