Sealing "knots" on New Beadboard/Wainscotting

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Ober51
Forgotten more than most know

Sealing "knots" on New Beadboard/Wainscotting

Post by Ober51 »

I wasn't thinking and primed my new beadboard with Killz latex primer. After talking to my father, he said I should have sealed the knots so they do not bleed through. The more I think about it, the more I would like to take his advice. After a bit of research, I could go with Zinsser BIN Shellac Primer. However, can I do this on beadboard that has already been primed with Killz?

All new beadboard will get BIN prior to top coat, but the question remains whether I should attack already primed knots.

Thoughts?

Mick_VT

Re: Sealing "knots" on New Beadboard/Wainscotting

Post by Mick_VT »

yes use bin, you can also use shellac. If you can see where the knots are on the primed boards hit them with more bin as well... you can just spot prime with it, give it a couple of coats or so
Mick...

SkipW

Post by SkipW »

I have used a lot of pine my recent renovations. I spot prime knots with two coats of B-I-N and then all surfaces get a coat of Kilz oil primer and a top coat of Kilz latex primer.

Yes, I spend a lot of time priming ;-}

The end result though, is absolutely no knots showing even after years. When we moved in, all of the trim was showing knots. I primed on top of the paint with two coats of B-I-N primer and then painted our color choices. No knots and we have been here 11 years. So, yes, you can absolutely put B-I-N on top of the latex primer.
Etta says "WOOF"

Ober51

Post by Ober51 »

Awesome, thank you!

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

My preference is Zinsser BIN. Not quite so thick, and adhesion is excellent.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I would seal with a good oil primer--we use ben moore 024...first spot prime the knots, let dry then prime the whole area followed by two coats of finish paint...50 years ago there was no such thing as BIN or KILZ...Zinsser bulls eye dewaxed shellac would work too....
...jade

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

heartwood wrote:50 years ago there was no such thing as BIN or KILZ...Zinsser bulls eye dewaxed shellac would work too....
...jade

Yep, there was shellac, or in the UK we had this thing called "knotting" which I think was just a heavier cut of dewaxed shellac. Knots will bleed through oil primer over time, especially if the wood is fairly new. I believe BIN is essentially a pigmented shellac.
Mick...

SkipW

Post by SkipW »

Mick_VT wrote:
heartwood wrote:50 years ago there was no such thing as BIN or KILZ...Zinsser bulls eye dewaxed shellac would work too....
...jade

Yep, there was shellac, or in the UK we had this thing called "knotting" which I think was just a heavier cut of dewaxed shellac. Knots will bleed through oil primer over time, especially if the wood is fairly new. I believe BIN is essentially a pigmented shellac.

I believe you are correct about B-I-N, it is essentially the shellac that does the tannin sealing.
Etta says "WOOF"

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

yup, you are both right...if I was to use shellac I would prime with my usual oil primer...I prefer to limit products in our shop to the ones that have worked well for years...that said, it seems the formula changes far to often...
.....jade