Water-based or oil-based polyurethane for floors?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Water-based or oil-based polyurethane for floors?

Post by awomanwithahammer »

So, the refinishers used the Rubio and they LOVED the ease of application. I do like the color--I used the Pure, which is the natural--and it darkened the wood quite a bit, which is fine with me. So there's no stain. The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't have much of a sheen. I don't want high gloss, but I would like a little more sheen. The wood actually looks a little dry. Is there a product that you can use on top of it?
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Bonnie, the floor does look great, still trying to spot your patch. I think this question on a top coat might be better answered by those who have used the Rubio.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

awomanwithahammer wrote:So, the refinishers used the Rubio and they LOVED the ease of application. I do like the color--I used the Pure, which is the natural--and it darkened the wood quite a bit, which is fine with me. So there's no stain. The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't have much of a sheen. I don't want high gloss, but I would like a little more sheen. The wood actually looks a little dry. Is there a product that you can use on top of it?

A treatment with the maintenance oil adds a little sheen apparently. Personally I love the matte finish, but it is a little unusual

https://www.rubiomonocoat.com/en/p/prod ... country=us
Mick...

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Dumb question - can you paste-wax and buff it after it has cured?

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Manalto wrote:Dumb question - can you paste-wax and buff it after it has cured?

Maybe, but I'd ask Rubio directly before trying. The satin from the maintenance oil would probably give a similar result
Mick...

awomanwithahammer

I'm talking to the floor guys about it. They were going to check with Rubio about it. I'm fine with the UMO.
Bonnie

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Manalto wrote:Dumb question - can you paste-wax and buff it after it has cured?

Questions in themselves are inanimate and therefore it is impossible for a question to be dumb ;-)

I'd be careful with wax. for example the Tung oil specs that were posted previously in the thread said:

" Don’t:
Under no circumstances should any cleaner with a soap base such as Murphy’
s Oil Soap be used. These cleaners
leave a film that will gum the surface of the oil. "

I know the question is in reference to rubio which is some manufactured concoction of "trade secret" ingredients but I'd be careful with the wax unless you find out differently. Checking with the manufacturer is always good advice of course.

the rubio specs say it is a mixture of hard wax and natural oils but it doesn't say what type of wax or oil

also RMC Universal Maintenance Oil will nourish the wood, give it a fuller look (satin sheen) and increase the fluid resistance.
it also says no VOC's

https://www.rubiomonocoat.com/uploads/d ... 1550166041

If you contact them I'd ask for the MSDS sheet. Im not sure if it is any different in the US but here manufacturers are required by law to publish the material data safety sheets. In the workplace they need to be available to workers. Sometimes if you read them right they will go into a bit more detail of the ingredients particularly if they used solvents that do make VOC's. Law may make them identify some of the basic ingredients.

sometimes if people have a fire or start combining products the availability of MSDS sheets can help in emergency response measures, like if some kid eats it or someone starts a chemical reaction or a fire.
So sometimes that is a way of reading through the very limited info the manufacturer wants to reveal in it's advertising or on it's website.

the rubio may not have solvents but you should know that some floor products, danish oil linseed oil probably tung oil , oil paints, solvents etc can ignite all by themselves if you just have a pile of rags that are wet with it. It can start combusting through the heat it generates so no ignition source is needed, so look after your rags. you can put them in a bucket of water or just toss them out in the snow or on the lawn. Just dont; clump them in a bunch. It can catch people off guard who are not aware that they can start a fire so easily.. I know the rubio might act differently but never hurts to be aware of this.

awomanwithahammer

Yes, one of the guys came out today to look at the floors. They're going to give me an quote for putting a coat of the UMO on the floor, but they agreed that it needs a little more sheen, or luster. I've been very pleased with this company. They do their work up to my standards!
Bonnie

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

glad to hear it worked out and you're happy. I agree at thins point since you dont; really know what's in it ,probably best to stick with what they recommend. The application of the oil sounds easy enough to do yourself, it even says no professional application necessary. but maybe you want them to use the floor polisher. Sounds like you could just put it on with a cloth, you might do that later if it needs it.

https://www.rubiomonocoat.com/uploads/d ... 1550166041

awomanwithahammer

Yeah, in for a penny, in for a pound at this point. I don't want to do it myself; I just want it done!
Bonnie